Where to eat in Cozumel

Bindery

We are sailing on the Inspiration this Monday. While in Cozumel I think we will go to Chankanaab Park to sun and snorkel.

I would then like to do some sightseeing and shopping downtown.

When is the best place to eat lunch or dinner.

Maybe a place with a great view?

I would get something at McDonald's with no ice in your drink. I have been there 4 times and never eaten anywhere else. It is a very poor community. Costa Maya is safe, but Cozumel makes me nervous. It's that whole...don't drink the water thing. If I am wrong I hope someone lets me know. We usually do the Chankanaab park. It is beautiful. Rent a car from Avis. They only charge $35 total and driving isn't to bad. There is only really one paved road on the island. I already have on reserved for Dec. You can stop and snorkel anywhere, or just hit the beach. Take Care

Panch'o's Backyard. The food was very good , they have a mariachi band playing in the courtyard. Cannot view the water from the restaurant but the view of the gardens is very nice and relaxing. We will go back next time we go to Cozumel.

We are sailing on the Inspiration this Monday. While in Cozumel I think we will go to Chankanaab Park to sun and snorkel.

I would then like to do some sightseeing and shopping downtown.

When is the best place to eat lunch or dinner.

Maybe a place with a great view?

I can't recommend a specific place to eat but I've found the "Mom & Pop" no name places always have the best food.

I would get something at McDonald's with no ice in your drink. I have been there 4 times and never eaten anywhere else. It is a very poor community. Costa Maya is safe, but Cozumel makes me nervous. It's that whole...don't drink the water thing. If I am wrong I hope someone lets me know. We usually do the Chankanaab park. It is beautiful. Rent a car from Avis. They only charge $35 total and driving isn't to bad. There is only really one paved road on the island. I already have on reserved for Dec. You can stop and snorkel anywhere, or just hit the beach. Take Care

Wow, nothing like experiencing the different cultures of the world by eating McDonald's. :D

Don't worry about the ice and water on the island of Cozumel, any decent establishment will have purifed ice and water, especially the large restaurants and bars.

I will second Pancho's backyard if in downtown shopping area. If you are looking for food by the beach area, look to Paradise Beach and PB Tom for a place to grab something to eat.

Since you'll be at Chankanaab (good choice!), you might want to have lunch at the al fresco restaurant by the snorkeling area. Great food, and strolling mariachis. My meal of quesadilla, burrito, chips & salsa, and margarita was, if I remember correctly, about $8-9.

Also - if you're docked at Puerta Maya Pier, there's a Pancho's Backyard there, as well as in downtown San Miguel. (The one at PMPier, you'll have ocean view, as well as seeing the ships.) I had lunch there in November, and it was very good and very inexpensive. Great quesadilla, chips & salsa, and margarita - all for about $8, including tip.

MamaMicki - McDonalds? You're kidding, right? :D

I never worry about the ice or water on Cozumel. Most of the bars/restaurants have signs saying they use only purified water. They really can't afford to have a bad reputation, so I'm sure they are very careful.

We were at Chakanaab a 10 days ago - there are beachfront restaurants and bars right there. The food was excellent authentic mexican. We ate food and had no issues. We didn't drink any water and all drinks were in bottles or cans. I did have the Sangria which was the best I've ever had, no ice, it was just cold. Chakanaab was a wonderful park all around, swimming, snorkeling, beautiful beach, and we did the Dolphin swim adventure - swimming w/ the dolphins was great!

If you want to eat in San Miguel while shopping. there are many restaurants and quite a few looking out at the ocean. There is also a Hard Rock cafe if you prefer American food, but it doesn't have a view.

We were at Chakanaab a 10 days ago - there are beachfront restaurants and bars right there. The food was excellent authentic mexican. We ate food and had no issues. We didn't drink any water and all drinks were in bottles or cans. I did have the Sangria which was the best I've ever had, no ice, it was just cold. Chakanaab was a wonderful park all around, swimming, snorkeling, beautiful beach, and we did the Dolphin swim adventure - swimming w/ the dolphins was great!

If you want to eat in San Miguel while shopping. there are many restaurants and quite a few looking out at the ocean. There is also a Hard Rock cafe if you prefer American food, but it doesn't have a view.

Thank you so much for this review -- I think we'll be dining there as well!

McDonald's??????? No way!!!! In downtown San Miguel...there is a square, surrounded by shopping, outdoor restaurants, etc. We always hit that area and love it! All of the restaurants will offer you two for one margaritas....they're always $5 for two (and they are large...two will do it!) Just pick a restaurant.....get your margaritas and order something to eat! We've never had any problems at all!

For those of you who are still nervous, there is a Subway in this area also. I haven't eaten there, but I'm sure it would be better than McDonald's!!

Have a great cruise!!!

While you are shopping, I believe on that same strip is Carlos' n Charlie's. I may be wrong, if anyone else knows, remembers, correct me.....The two times I was there, the food was good, and ofcourse the margarita's....Wow:D Plus its a fun place. I remember seeing the view of other cruise ships from there.

We were on the Valor and stopped at Carlos & Charlies for lunch with the kids. The food is pretty good and so are the drinks (don't worry they use filtered water for everything). The atmosphere is great!!! We were a party of 8, 4 were kids, and no one had a problem. I have the most sensitive stomach in the world!!! I would stick to a well known place that like that or Senor Frogs and be weary of the tiny places. I don't even eat McDonalds at home!!! Yuck

Hello all,

Hey, My Dad got Montazuma's revenge after eating at a nice restaurant in Cancun. If it can happen there..chances are pretty good it can happen in Cozumel. He spent the rest of the week in the bathroom. Cool vacation pics...And here's Dad running to bathroom... Here he is coming out of the bathroom. Sorry guys..better safe than sorry.You guys need to show the love to Ronald.:D I like to see the culture...not feel it. If culture is what you are after why are you on a Carnival cruise. Shouldn't you be over in Europe or something. I never thought of Cozumel as a meca for culture. Well, everybody take care and have a great weekend.

Hello all,

Hey, My Dad got Montazuma's revenge after eating at a nice restaurant in Cancun. If it can happen there..chances are pretty good it can happen in Cozumel. He spent the rest of the week in the bathroom. Cool vacation pics...And here's Dad running to bathroom. Here is coming out of the bathroom. Sorry guys..better safe than sorry. Take Care. You guys need to show the love to Ronald.:D

So what makes you think you'll be any safer at Micky Ds??

Well Liv,

I am not a world traveler, but one of the great tid bits of advice that has been handed down for many generations is if you are in Mexico..."Don't drink the water.":eek: Now I figure that if I stay away from the ice and at least eat in place that probably has some form of standards for food prep. Then I should be ok. I am not willing to screw up my vacation that I spent 3 grand on, over a burrito and taco. It would have to be a very good taco ....for me to be cool with that. (alittle humor there for you.) :D Well, that is my 2 cents. Big deal. Have a great weekend all.

I'm adding my second (or third or fourth :D ) to eating in one of the local places. All the downtown places use purified water - even for the ice in the drinks - because their main source of income is from the tourists, so they won't make us sick. If they did, they'd lose our business!

And, if this sets your mind at rest any, in December I ate at a literal "hole in the wall" place way back away from the tourist area. It was nothing more than an open air grill, counter, and a few tables and chairs. We ate a "taco", which was chopped roasted meat on a soft tortilla with guacamole or hot sauce, if you want it. It was good and I didn't get sick.

Well Liv,

I am not a world traveler, but one of the great tid bits of advice that has been handed down for many generations is if you are in Mexico..."Don't drink the water.":eek: Now I figure that if I stay away from the ice and at least eat in place that probably has some form of standards for food prep. Then I should be ok. I am not willing to screw up my vacation that I spent 3 grand on, over a burrito and taco. It would have to be a very good taco ....for me to be cool with that. (alittle humor there for you.) Well, that is my 2 cents. Big deal. Have a great weekend all.

Hey I'm not busting you out like on the other thread :p (humor for you :D) but hey s**t happens (no pun intended) but I've been to a McD's in Europe...They suck and yes, I got sick. Again, it's JMO but the best food you can get is usually found at the small out of the way mom & pop joints.

I pulled more all nighters in Juarez (don't ask :D) than I care to remember and never had a problem with the food.

On our first visit to Cozumel, we took the excursion to Tulum with our daughters, 11 & 7 then. They were so HUNGRY when we got back to Cozumel, we ate at the first place we saw - Pizza Hut!!! We have been back 3 times since and have eaten at Panchos Backyard and Las Palmeras. Both good choices to eat in town.

Tropicale 6/85

Festivale 7/87

Enchnated Capri 10/98

Celebration 6/00

Inspiration 6/01

Conquest 6/03

Holiday 2/04

Glory 6/25/05

Last year we ate at Restaurant Palmeras. It was recommended by a store employee. They had people going around and singing to each table. The food was good, as was the atmosphere; After lunch there, we went to Carlos and Charlies for drinks. We had a great time.

I am really glad that you guys let me know about the water. I will alas not be stuck in McDonald's purgatory. I have one more question. What do they call the new peir in Cozumel? Take Care

The new pier across from Carlos and Charlies is called Punta Langosta

Hello all,

Hey, My Dad got Montazuma's revenge after eating at a nice restaurant in Cancun. If it can happen there..chances are pretty good it can happen in Cozumel. He spent the rest of the week in the bathroom. Cool vacation pics...And here's Dad running to bathroom... Here he is coming out of the bathroom. Sorry guys..better safe than sorry.You guys need to show the love to Ronald.:D I like to see the culture...not feel it. If culture is what you are after why are you on a Carnival cruise. Shouldn't you be over in Europe or something. I never thought of Cozumel as a meca for culture. Well, everybody take care and have a great weekend.

I got the Dominican revenge after the 1st day in an all-inclusive ultra high-end resort in Punta Cana, DR. I was told the ice was purified and water in restaurants was pure as well. I was very careful but still got it. My wife got it too and she didn't drink the water at all! So I'm thinking something from the restaurant got me, whether it was fruit washed in local water, undercooked food, juice, bad ice, etc.

The odds are that you will get more sick from a Norwalk type virus on the ship as opposed to getting ill from a reputable local restaurant in Cozumel.

As for comparing Cancun to Cozumel, while Cancun isn't as bad as interior Mexico, but it isn't as good as Cozumel.

I can't imagine wanting to eat at McDonald's in Cozumel. We're not real big on eating a lot of meals off the ship, but often get snacks in ports. Actually, on our last cruise on the Glory, we had food in Belize, Costa Maya, Progreso AND Cozumel (had to have something to help soak up the alcohol). ;) We've never had any problems.

Archived