Sky repo cruise 5/12- 1st time cruisers with questions

abqdeb

This is our first cruise and we decided to start with a 3 day jaunt from San Francisco to Vancouver on the Norwegian Sky. I've been getting lots of great info on this board, so THANKS! What's the deal with this ship being renovated? From what I can figure, is this repositioning cruise the final cruise for the Sky? Does anybody have the inside scoop? Anybody else going to be on board with us?

I don't belief it is the last cruise as the renovation will be performed in SF not Vancouver. Is there a cruise coming back? I will be on the inaugual cruise of the renovated Sky CPride of Aloha). Have a great cruise and let us know how your experience was. Jim

Carnival's Ecstasy (New Years 2002)
NCL's Pride of Aloha ( Inaugural- June 2004)

I believe it is in fact the last cruise. I was worried it was cancelled since the ship is going into dry dock in Sanfran. I checked NCL.com and they still have this cruise listed.

Perhaps they plan to disembark most of the internation crew in Canada for labor reasons and sail back to Sanfran with a limited crew for the drydock work. No return cruise listed.

Take lots of pictures the ship will never look the same again. Maybe the will loosen up the slots before the pack them away. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. The only down side there should be a lot of sad faces from those that your cruise represents the final paycheck for a while as they are replaced with an all American crew.

Seaward 1/89,Southward II 1/91,Windward 10/93,
Norway 3/94,4/96
Dreamward 4/97
Dream 12/99
QE2 4/02
Carnival Spirit 7/02
NCL Sun 10/03
NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

No Clock = No Next Cruise

Thanks for the replies. Yes, this is a one-way trip. When we signed up for it, it was to reposition the ship for the Alaska cruises, but I guess that won't happen. I'm concerned about the condition of the ship and cleanliness overall. Some of the reviews have been less than stellar [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] and with the Sky being overhauled, they may not have things up to par on this trip.
Shoreguy-- I hope you're right about the slots!!!!

I can only speak for the Sky in Feb. We found it very clean. My only complaint re: condition of the ship was: the old uncomfortable deck loungers need replacing - which I am assuming will probably happen before Hawaii (maybe if you are lucky before your cruise - they had replaced a few of them before ours). Oh and one of the juice machines seemed to be chronically out-of-order - we just used the other one. Basically just go with a positive attitude and don't sweat the small stuff. You should be aware that there may be some service issues. When we went in Feb service was very good but since then they have introduced a "new" crew - so you may notice more slip-ups and inefficiences. On our cruise we only encountered ONE minor service annoyance - in the Horizon's Restaurant (service was slow and a little confused - luckily we were not in a hurry that night - so it did not impact on our enjoyment of the evening in a major way. Have
a great cruise !

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;2;1;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  Until NCL SKY

Archived