Extra Tips

Melody80

I know this could be considered a rude question but if I dont ask I'll never know whats right. Im planning our second cruise (first was 5 yrs ago). I understand you can pre pay basic tips on your sign and sail. I also understand that if the service is wonderful it is common to tip with cash.

My question is how much and for who? I know it depends on the service but I need a ball park here. Who all do you tip both those included with the pre paid tips and those not, and how much do you tip them for great service?

I always leave the tips on the card... give my steward generally a $20 upfront in addition, if wonderful (and always have been... I give a little more at the end, around $10?).... I wait until the middle to end for wait staff, and usually around $10 each for waiter and assistant... I generally tip my favorite bar/pool waiter upfront around $5... and then a couple bucks here and there...

I just got off the carnival Miracle on a 7 day cruise. They automatically charged $70 to my sail & sign for tips. At the end of the trip I went to the pursers desk & added an additional $20 for my room steward & for my waiter at dinner.

Megan

I just got off the carnival Miracle on a 7 day cruise. They automatically charged $70 to my sail & sign for tips. At the end of the trip I went to the pursers desk & added an additional $20 for my room steward & for my waiter at dinner.Megan

Megan - Nothing wrong with that, I guess. I think that's a first for me - never heard of anybody doing extra tips that way; I just hope they got their extra tips.;) I've always tipped the cabin steward and dining room waiter/asst. in person.

Melody - Pre-pay means you paid your tips at the time you paid for your cruise. Some folks do that. I don't pre-pay, but I do leave all automatic tips on my S&S account, and have never tipped anybody in cash until the last evening of the cruise. I usually give an extra $10 to the cabin steward, and $5 each to the waiter and asst. (I might add that I'm a solo cruiser, so if there were two of us, I'd double that.) Maybe you'll get your ball park figure now...?:) And - yes, be sure to tip the room service delivery person $1 or $2 each time.

Archived