First Time Cruiser Needs Help

Bible Teacher

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere on the boards, so if it has, kindly direct me there.

I am planning my first cruise for December 2012. I'm going to take my dad along as his Christmas gift. He's never been on a cruise before either. Anyway, I'm torn between a 5 day Bahamas cruise on the Ecstasy, or a 4 day Bahamas cruise on the Sensation. Also, is it worth the price to get a balcony? The 5 day cruise is only $50 more than the 4 day, is Carnival's private island worth stopping at? Thanks for your help.

I haven't sailed either ship, so can't help from that angle, but 5 days is always better than 4 days in my book! I am not a fan of the Bahamas, but would make an exception if Half Moon Cay was on the itinerary (if that's the private island you refer to)....that's a great place with a gorgeous beach! Have a great time!

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere on the boards, so if it has, kindly direct me there.

I am planning my first cruise for December 2012. I'm going to take my dad along as his Christmas gift. He's never been on a cruise before either. Anyway, I'm torn between a 5 day Bahamas cruise on the Ecstasy, or a 4 day Bahamas cruise on the Sensation. Also, is it worth the price to get a balcony? The 5 day cruise is only $50 more than the 4 day, is Carnival's private island worth stopping at? Thanks for your help.

Carnival's private island, Half Moon Cay is amazing!

So relaxing and peaceful.

For 50 bucks.....DO IT! :)

Say HI!!! to the ecstasy for me... I was on her in November. It was my first cruise, great ship so that gets my vote! PLUS it's five days instead of four! One more day of cruising. I heard HMC is amazing, not been there (yet) but I also have heard Carnival very often misses that port :( So don't go with your heart set on it!

I go on the 4 day Sensation next week so i cant answer which ship is better...however i Have Sailed on the Fantasy class ship....both the ships you ask about are the same class ship...Great layout.....I am sure you will enjoy the Ship..as far as the Ports I will have to wait a week to help you there and I am sure you will hear from Seasoned Cruisers here ...

Also let me Welcome you to Cruise Critic...You will get a great Wealth of knowledge here if you stick around and read the Boards.....

here is a great place to read reviews

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=13

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=4

when you decide which ship and your sail date join a roll call in the roll call section...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150

you can check out the Ports here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

So as you can see you can "Like the rest of us" spend hours and hours learning all about what you need to know.....

and of course if you have any questions please ask away.....

Like others have said, I'd do a 5-day over a 4-day anytime, especially if it's only $50 that separates the two, and it doesn't matter what extra port you get or even a extra day at sea....the more days cruising, the better.

We haven't sailed on Ecstasy, and the Sensation was a few years ago. It is an older ship but you will still love it--many good features. When we sailed her, she still had actual keys for the cabin doors, I'm not sure if that has changed or not.

The Bahamas are a good destination for first time cruisers as well. Just make sure you do your research about what you'll find at each port so you know what, if anything, you can do right off of the ship, etc.

Above all, just have fun.

The Ecstacy and the Sensation are in the same class, so they are the same ship, different decor. I would opt for a 5 day over a 4 day for only $50. We have been to the private island and it was a fun day, but our kids were littler then (9 and 12). It was a tender spot, so that should be considered. Tendering is much more of a process than just walking off the boat at a dock. Even if you opt to stay on board, I would still go for the extra day! :D

Been on both ships, they are pretty much the same. Just got off the Dream (second trip) in a Balcony on the Lido deck. next cruise is Feb 27 on the Escasty. TAKING THIS CRUISE JUST BECAUSE OF HMC. It is GREAT. skip the balcony and do the 5 day HMC, rent a cabana for about 200 and have a WONDERFUL day on Half Moon Cay. :)

I haven't sailed either ship, so can't help from that angle, but 5 days is always better than 4 days in my book! I am not a fan of the Bahamas, but would make an exception if Half Moon Cay was on the itinerary (if that's the private island you refer to)....that's a great place with a gorgeous beach! Have a great time!

What don't you like about the Bahama's?

I'd say do the 5 day. To me longer is always better.

We love the balcony ... wouldn't cruise without it. If your dad likes to read or just enjoy quiet times watching the ocean he'll love it. It's also nice for drinking room service coffee in the morning.

The private island ... yes!

Hope you and your father have a great time. :)

Archived