Packing for a January Southern Caribbean Cruise

hawaiinana

Help friends! We're leaving out of San Juan Sunday for a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Victory, and I'm trying to pack lightly. I'm trying to decide whether to take all summer clothes or a combination of summer and light fall clothes-thinking it might be breezy on deck at night. My husband always packs lighter than me- so girls help me out! I plan to mix and match colors-but need advice on what to expect weather wise. And should we just leave our winter coats in our car at the airport? Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

I only have one thing to say. Think Warm! It will be warm everywhere in that area. Only cool place you will find should be inside the ship early in the morning or late at night.:) Enjoy.

I agree and do leave you winter coats in the car at the airport. Have a great cruise.

I just wear a pair of jeans/slacks on the plane and carry a sweater. The sweater works fine for chilly nights onboard the ship. I have a lightweight black one, so it's fine if I need to throw it on for dinner, or walking around in the air conditioning. The southern itinerary is really warm, so you probably won't need fall clothes.

I bring 1-2 pair of casual pants and a light sweater, otherwise summer clothes. On our last cruise, the show room was really cold, I wish I had brought more sweaters/light jackets. Definitely leave the winter coat in the car. We are from MN and we leave it in the car and just run from the car to the airport!

Thanks! We'll definitely leave the coats in the car. The weather forcasts looks like rain next week. Is January usually a rainy month for the Southern Caribbean?

Almost every cruise we take weather says rain and very often it's just a 5 minute shower or rains at night/very early morning. Just in case we always have a couple of back-ups.

Been on this ship many times. Would bring shrug/shawl for dining room. Depending on where you're sitting, shoulders may be cold. Shorts or swimsuits work for days. Lightweight slacks for dining. Don't forget they have a laundry bag full special one day.

Libtrek

It will probably be very warm. We have cruised twice in December, and had pretty good weather. We were both very happy we had windbreakers last time, as they kept us dry in the rain during an excursion. We didn't bring our winter coats, but layered a sweatshirt and windbreaker, and were happy to have both. They are less bulky to pack than a winter coat too, and can go in an outside pocket of your carry-on once you are inside the airport. The wind can be chilly on the upper decks at night, and we like to sit outside and stargaze.

Do remember to wear shoes, not sandals for the flight home. I forgot last time, and had to trudge through the snow to get to the car in my sandals. Brrr!

Sharon

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! We're getting packed and can't wait!

We are staying a night over in San Juan. Is there a place we can store our bags in port, so that we can tour Old San Juan? We probably won't be able to check into our hotel until the afternoon? Just wondered. Thanks!

Archived