Scuba in Cozumel

cruzbound

Please help - I am trying to decide between four dive operators in Cozumel. They have all been very deligent and helpful in answering my emails - so they all have very good customer service so far. The ones I have been looking at are: Eagle Ray Divers, Scuba with Alison, Aldora Divers and Deep Blue. Any suggestions, past experience, etc. that anyone could give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We used Scuba with Alison on our December cruise on the Carnival Magic. As others have said, given a choice, my wife and I would use her exclusively. Even though that was our first time with her, we were treated more like old friends than just a customer.

Every time we have been set up to take the intro to dive, it was cancelled due to rough seas. Hope to make COZ this time. Any recommendations?

I am going to try and get a intro class out before we sail with a company here. Perhaps buy a good mask.

Jim&Trina-

As you are doing your research please check into doing the discover scuba with Sunrise Divers. They are the dive shop adjacent to Playa Uvas. My diving with them on this last trip was cancelled due the the Norte that came in the day before, so all I have is the experience of the service they had given me prior to the trip and when I stopped by to speak with them face to face. They have good reviews, especially from discover scuba clients and newer (or nervous) divers. The beach club also gives a nice place for any non-divers in the group to hang out.

I just wanted to throw that name into the mix, because I think the service I was given, even though we didn't make it into the water was excellent.

Aldora is good/ close to town but if you want a short boat ride take a cab down to the southern end(about $15) - Allegro Hotel and dive with ProDive - reef is 5 min. off their pier and the Customer service is very good as well

While we are on the topic of SCUBA in Cozumel...anyone have any advice about an intro to SCUBA experience?? The cruise ship offers an excursion (of course), but I wonder if any of you might know of a good dive shop that offers a better experience. I am certified but my fiance is not. He would like to take the plunge on this cruise and Cozumel looks like a great 1st time dive experience for him. I will need to be a part of the same dive to support him as his dive buddy, so I want a good experience for him and not a boring one for myself. Any input would be much appreciated. We sail on Royal Caribbean in early May.

Thanks!!

I have dove with scuba with Alison and had a blast. One thing to consider about Aldora is they use steel 100 tanks so you will get extended bottom time.

Have not dove with them but they have an impeccable reputation. I have done a week long dive trip each of past 3years and have dove with BlueXTsea and really liked diving with as well though like most ops they use AL80's not a big deal if you are diving every day for a week but if I were there just for the day I would choose Aldora for the steel 100's. If you have never dove coz you are gonna love it!

Big thunder

I was not able to get Allison and she recommended Scubatony Cozumel. He has real high marks on Trip Advisor but times did not work well for us. We are booked with Eagle Rays. So far they have been very very accommodating for us. I will let you all know how it goes when we return. We are finishing our certification with SSI just before we sail and can get a couple under our belts.

It sure gets you hooked! Went diving yesterday. Can't wait to dive COZ.

I booked our Dives with Eagle Ray's, too....they seem very accomodating and the reviews I've read are good. Others please chime in if you've had experience with this dive operation....Can't wait to breathe underwater again; it's been too long between dives!

Thank you for recommending Allison unfortunately she was already booked so we are still open for any recommendations. Thanks!

We are going next month and diving with Aldora for simple reasons like you dive your own profile and they even have steel 120's. So Im looking @ 60minutes plus dives. They bring you back to shore for surface interval

• 4 weeks later...

Those of you that have booked with Eagle Ray, did you have to send them a deposit? It looks like it is required. We usually dive with Alison but she is booked our date this time. She doesn't require a deposit so that would be new to us. Thanks :)

Chucho Underwater...you wont be sorry. He used to work with Scuba With Allison. I scheduled with her couple years ago and she handed me off to Chucho. Had such a wonderful time that I booked directly with him a few weeks ago and had yet another great experience.

http://chucho-underwater.com/

Is Chucho's boat in the same marina as Alison's? We usually dive with Alison but she is booked for our date this time.

Those of you that have booked with Eagle Ray, did you have to send them a deposit? It looks like it is required. We usually dive with Alison but she is booked our date this time. She doesn't require a deposit so that would be new to us. Thanks :)

e-mail extract:

"Once you confirm that you will be joining us, you will be required to

pay a deposit to hold your space. You may do that one of 2 ways, 1.

send a personal check to our stateside address (that will be provided to

you) or 2. Request a paypal invoice be sent to your email and you may

pay on line through paypal. Either way, the balance is due in

Cozumel. As form of payment once in Cozumel we take US Dollars,

Travelers checks, Mexican Pesos. We DO NOT take credit cards in Cozumel."

The deposit amount was 50%. I use Paypal. Upon request, Chellie of Eagle Ray will e-mail a Paypal invoice.

Thanks Loves Dogs. I hope we like him as much as you did. :)

I think you will - we loved him both times.

Just one bit info so that you don't make the same mistake we did. Chucho was to meet us at the security gate. We managed to get off the ship very early and took a cab right to the marina so we asked the cab driver to take us directly to Chuchos boat. Cab driver asked a marina local who directed us. As we reached the boat someone on board verified it was indeed Chuchos' dive boat so we unloaded and the cab driver left.

Here is the kicker. There are 2 dive operations that work out of Coleta Marina with Chucho as the divemaster :eek: (Chucho Divers and Chucho Underwater). Our cab driver dropped us off at the wrong boat. And of course, our Chucho was on opposite side of marina. As the marina is not that big we just walked around to the other side. It was hot, and we were carrying all our dive gear so it would have been nice to be dropped at the right boat. Anyway, if you get there early remember to specify that you are looking for Chucho Nunez - with Chucho Underwater. Safe diving and have a GREAT cruise!

While we are on the topic of SCUBA in Cozumel...anyone have any advice about an intro to SCUBA experience?? The cruise ship offers an excursion (of course), but I wonder if any of you might know of a good dive shop that offers a better experience. I am certified but my fiance is not. He would like to take the plunge on this cruise and Cozumel looks like a great 1st time dive experience for him. I will need to be a part of the same dive to support him as his dive buddy, so I want a good experience for him and not a boring one for myself. Any input would be much appreciated. We sail on Royal Caribbean in early May.

Thanks!!

I would recommend using the ships course if your fiance is not yet certified. Based on our last dive in COZ, there were 6 of us with local DS. 2 with over 150 dives. 3 newbies and 1 on a discover scuba. We had great dives and fortunately our oldest son (29) avid swimmer, was the one who was on discover scuba. The DM did a great job teaching him the basics on board boat on way out but since we had varied levels of experience we went right out. Something I do not recommend for a discover scuba. Certainly not the way we were trained. Fortunately my son is a athlete, fit and fearless so he took to diving like he had been doing it for years. The other experienced divers on board made comment to my wife that he really should have started in shallow waters. And that is what we were told would happen when we booked it. In any event, if you book with any one else make sure you check the operation out really well.

That is the one piece of mind you have using cruise line. Another couple we know did a discover scuba with an operator who rushed them and unfortunately had a bad experience. If where you live there is a DS in the area that offers a discover scuba it might only be $50 - $75 and is a couple hours of pool time it is well worth the investment and in some courses the cost can be applied if student desires to pursue open water certification. That is what we did. Good luck! Have Fun!

I think you will - we loved him both times.

Just one bit info so that you don't make the same mistake we did. Chucho was to meet us at the security gate. We managed to get off the ship very early and took a cab right to the marina so we asked the cab driver to take us directly to Chuchos boat. Cab driver asked a marina local who directed us. As we reached the boat someone on board verified it was indeed Chuchos' dive boat so we unloaded and the cab driver left.

Here is the kicker. There are 2 dive operations that work out of Coleta Marina with Chucho as the divemaster :eek: (Chucho Divers and Chucho Underwater). Our cab driver dropped us off at the wrong boat. And of course, our Chucho was on opposite side of marina. As the marina is not that big we just walked around to the other side. It was hot, and we were carrying all our dive gear so it would have been nice to be dropped at the right boat. Anyway, if you get there early remember to specify that you are looking for Chucho Nunez - with Chucho Underwater. Safe diving and have a GREAT cruise!

Thank you so much for the heads up on that. :) He hasn't said where to meet him yet. I am supposed to contact him closer to our date with our sizes for eqiupment.

We did the deposit through Pay Pal, On dive day, we arrived on time, We were scheduled to head out at 0900 and it was more like 1030. Before we left pier remaining $$ is due.

Archived