Cruising with a 8 month old? Shore excursions?

cdncruiser3

Hi,

We are going on the Liberty in Feb 2012. Our baby will be 8.5 months at that time. I was wondering if anyone had gone to Cozumel, Belize, Isla Roatan, or Grand Caymen and could give us directions on the shore trips we can actually do with Mackenzie.

I was thinking of just going to the beaches when we are on the islands and wondered if anyone could give us insight with closest and nicest beaches and taxis with no car seats (we aren't going to bring ours) will they let us even in a car without a carseat in these countries?

Has anyone done the turtle farm in Grand Caymen? Would that be appropriate for a 8 month old?

I heard Belize is not a place to just walk around so if we aren't doing a shore excursion we shouldn't get off the boat, is that true?

I read on Carnival they have a private island beach break, that seems to be the only thing I can find that is all ages.

Has anyone done the Zoo in Belize? THe tour says minimum age is 3 which is strange for a zoo? Could we get there by ourselves?

thanks for all the advice!

Michelle

I can't answer some of your specific questions, but here's some overall thoughts:

• Belize has a port area that is safe to walk around in, grab a bite to eat, etc. However, it's worth noting that it's a tender port and getting from the ship to the tender boat might be a bit of a challenge for some people while holding a baby.
  • Car seat laws vary by country, and probably by driver as well. We took our DD (6) on a cruise earlier this year and I had a hard time arranging transportation with seat belts for her travel vest. Many islands in the caribbean use open air vehicles without seat belts.
  • Even if they do let you in the car, I would personally *never* take a baby without a car seat. Some of the scariest car rides we've taken have been cruise excursions. It's a personal preference/decision each parent has to make, but don't under-estimate the craziness of some drivers and windiness of some roads.
  • Likewise with a beach, having taken our DD to a beach when she was younger, I wouldn't take one that young to a beach. She kept trying to eat sand, didn't like the feel of it so we couldn't put her down, and pretty much cried the whole time. When we took her back at 13 months she had a blast!
  • Does the ship you're going on have stuff for the smaller kids? Some ships do and some don't. I saw a baby having the time of his life on the Carnival Sensation in March, playing in the waterpark with his dad. Everyone around was laughing at his little non-stop giggle. On the other ships I've been one there wasn't anything like that for the little ones to enjoy.

I've never been, but I believe Grand Cayman is a tender port as well, so I'd work on a handoff arrangement with your spouse or another adult for getting on the boats. Other than that, I think you can have a really good time just staying on the ship. Not sure an 8-month old will get much out of being in port.

We haven't done a cruise yet with a baby, doing our first this spring.

But I've traveled alot with babies and toddler ages. Outside of the u.s you will be able to get in a taxi without a car seat. Whether you're ok with it or not is up to each parent. For me it depends on the city and location.

Actually we live outside nyc and we've gone in taxi's before without car seats, not for a baby that young but probably 2+. Not that I've made a practice of it, but it has happened due to extenuating circumstances at times. There is no policy regarding carseats in taxis.

If you're bringing a stroller, why not bring one of the types that a car seat clicks into, and just stow it in the closet? Are you holding the baby on the lap for the plane ride, or does he/she have a seat?-If baby has a ticketed seat you'll need a car seat.

Check out Maya Key in Roatan. It is a ferry ride over to the island. Our 3 year old loved it and I think it would be great for a baby as well. They had a nice beach and a pool. Lots of shade and clean facilities. They also had an animal reserve. Enjoy your trip!

I'm doing the exact same ship, exact itinerary and with my DS who will turn 9mo the day we leave. :)

We're bringing our travel system - at first I was going to bring a snap and go with his bucket seat, but decided we'd need a stroller if we wanted to simply walk around the port.

I'm playing Belize by ear - this is our 3rd visit (1st for him), DH is going off with the boys and I'll take DS shopping if the water is calm enough. We've had very rough water crossing before (they cancelled the tenders right after for a bit), so it'll be hit and miss. I don't mind missing Belize, but as pp it's okay to walk around the commercial shopping area. We did the straw market behind it, but I wouldn't do that with a baby.

Cozumel is my port - my DH has control of DS then, but you can walk off the ship and into a small shopping area. Carseats are required in Mexico, I believe. Again, 3rd visit to Coz. ;)

Grand Cayman - short tender, I wouldn't be concerned about a baby in a stroller on this one. You can take a bus to 7 Mile Beach, and then you wouldn't have to worry about the car seat. There's a few beach clubs there as well. Our 3rd trip here too. :)

Honduras - we're doing a beach day with my mother and aunt, so they'll help take care of DS while DH and I go have a drink or grab a bite to eat. We're doing an excursion through Carnival (Tyan-something beach? I can't recall. Babies are free, shuttle is included, it's $39.95 per adult, half an hour commute). They also have shopping at the dock too apparently, it's our first visit here so I don't know.

I'm using a car seat wherever we go, regardless, I'd rather have him strapped into something if I can't strap him into the car itself.

thanks for all the info!!

RizzoLee, just wondering a few more things- In cozumel is the Chankanaab park a good place to go to the beach and walk around and maybe see the marine show? Is that a 5 minute drive from the pier?

In Belize-Carnival has a private island beach break with a 20 min boat ride to the bannister island do you think that is more baby friendly instead of walking around Belize?

Is the commerical shopping areas in Belize close to the pier?

We are going on Feb 25th till March 3rd. Is that the cruise you will be on as well??

No, we leave on January 14th. :)

I've never been to Chankanaab, but have read good reviews about it.

For Belize, the shopping area is pretty baby-friendly. It's mostly shaded, and you can push the stroller around. The commercial area is right when you walk off the tender. I personally probably wouldn't do the private beach, but that's just because there's so many other beaches on the itinerary. :)

I always try to do Beach Days - pick a beach that is closest to the port (usually no more then 10 minutes in taxi - also always try to get a van - as we always travel with many folks. Bring a comfortable stroller that reclines and a big canapy. I would not leave my child in the sand at that young age (I"m a little paranoid of ants, bugs, glasse, putting sand in his mouth)

thanks for the info!

RizzoLee, please let me know how your cruise goes, I am really interested to hear how it goes with your 9 month old!

The honduras stop is Carnival's private island, so you step off the ship and walk across the bridge and the bench is right there. That is the only stop I am not to concerned about.

I would be interested to hear how the ship is too!

Michelle

Milton, Ontario, Canada

I went on a cruise last year with my then 1 year old. The only excursion we did was in Mahagoney Beach right there when you get off the boat in Roatan. Dont do the "chair" lift. It is not that far of a walk and just use your stroller. The tender is not bad so long there is another person to help you get on and off. Water can get choppy and the boat rocks.

I read that Carnival will take younger kiddos during port days for paid daycare. I did know that when we went last year. Not sure if that is true but you could check it out so you and hubby can do something together.

Cozumel is great, wonderful shopping right at the ship. Belieze the shopping is good too and we did go "outside" the tourist area and walked around. WOW extremley poor and dirty.

Grand Cayman is beautiful and my favorite island so far. My mother in law watch my DS while I did the sing ray tour then we met back at the ship and shopped around.

Have fun!

thanks for the info!

RizzoLee, please let me know how your cruise goes, I am really interested to hear how it goes with your 9 month old!

The honduras stop is Carnival's private island, so you step off the ship and walk across the bridge and the bench is right there. That is the only stop I am not to concerned about.

I would be interested to hear how the ship is too!

Michelle

Milton, Ontario, Canada

Will most certainly let you know! My memory isn't what it was, but I'm sure I'll remember before you leave, lol.

BTW - I'm from Milton as well! Derry / Scott, where are you?

We did a tour that included the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman with a one year old in December. I am not sure how much she really enjoyed it - but it was neat seeing the sea turtles and we were allowed to hold a couple (including a baby turtle) and she was able to touch them.

We also did the Stingray Tour and bought a life vest for our daughter. I had heard that the sandbar can be about waist high on an adult so I figured we would see and she did fine. She was ok with the Stingrays - but she hated the life vest. It was one of the bulky ones that aren't very comfortable.

And then we did a tour with Victor Bodden in Roatan. It was nice to have a private driver and not have to worry about our daughter crying and disturbing others on the tour. I know that you aren't planning to bring a car seat so that might not be an option. They seemed ok either way in regards to a car seat - but we lugged ours on each of the excursions I had booked because I figured it was better to be safe than sorry if something were to happen. But I must mention (which was mentioned in another post) that it was hard to find cars/vehicles that had either working seatbelts or seatbelts that would work for the car seat - atleast with the tours I booked.

Hey Ladies! I've travelled with my little girl when she was 7 months, then again when she was 8 months! I didn't PLAN on shore excursions, I took each day at a time :) I did a beach day, she wasn't found of the sand, which stuck to her even more with the heat and sunscreen (Grand Turks). In Curaco we did a tour, with multiple stops, and found everyone very helpful and considerate on the tour! Aruba was another beach/pool day, the pool was better for her then the beach. Nassau was Atlantis, great, again pools :) The best idea to me was to follow her lead, one day she was teething (Dominican) so we stayed on the boat! I'm going next month and she will be 20 months, and she's always on the go so I'm honking a lot of beach days! She nows loves the water and doesn't mind the sand! Enjoy the cruise, and being with your family :)

We did a tour that included the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman with a one year old in December. I am not sure how much she really enjoyed it - but it was neat seeing the sea turtles and we were allowed to hold a couple (including a baby turtle) and she was able to touch them.

We also did the Stingray Tour and bought a life vest for our daughter. I had heard that the sandbar can be about waist high on an adult so I figured we would see and she did fine. She was ok with the Stingrays - but she hated the life vest. It was one of the bulky ones that aren't very comfortable.

And then we did a tour with Victor Bodden in Roatan. It was nice to have a private driver and not have to worry about our daughter crying and disturbing others on the tour. I know that you aren't planning to bring a car seat so that might not be an option. They seemed ok either way in regards to a car seat - but we lugged ours on each of the excursions I had booked because I figured it was better to be safe than sorry if something were to happen. But I must mention (which was mentioned in another post) that it was hard to find cars/vehicles that had either working seatbelts or seatbelts that would work for the car seat - atleast with the tours I booked.

We are doing stingray city in March with our 15 month old can I ask what tour operator you used and did you like them?

We are doing stingray city in March with our 15 month old can I ask what tour operator you used and did you like them?

We used Cayman in a Nutshell (http://www.caymaninanutshell.com/index1.htm) and did the Cayman in a Nutshell tour. I wanted to go to Hell, the Turtle Farm, and Stringray City and this tour offered those things and more. On the way back from Stingray City we made another stop for snorkeling. I didn't realize that was part of the package (it might have only been included because of the group we joined) but my husband likes to snorkle so it worked out really well. I found them on Trip Advisor with a number of positive reviews. And I think the Stingray City part is done by Captain Marvin's. Cayman in a Nutshell might actually be owned by Captain Marvin's - but I don't know.

We really enjoyed the company and the tour - and it gave us a good opportunity to see the highlights of Grand Cayman and do Stingray City too. One comment - the tour includes lunch which we didn't get to eat on the beach as described in the tour. It wasn't their fault because our time in Grand Cayman was short so there wasn't time to include the 7 Mile Beach stop. They stopped and picked up the food on the way to the boat for the Stingray City portion of the tour but we didn't feel comfortable eating it on the boat (we were the only ones on the boat that had book this tour so no one else had food/lunch) so we ended up eating at at the cruise dock before we got on the tender a couple hours later. The food was still really good but we knew it would have been a lot better if we would have been able to eat it sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going in a few weeks with our 10 mos old, and went a few years ago with a 4mos old, and again when she was 15 mos. I always bring a car seat for the littlest ones (I have 6 currently, all whom are in car seats or boosters still at home in NY). How are you getting from the airport to the port? We always fly in a day early and spend the night (it's too risky to fly down with 8 people on the day of the departure). So we have to have a car seat for up to 3 or 4 I think to get from the airport to the hotel and to the port. We have only done MSC with the kids but they have always kept our car seats for us in a storage room and we just ask for them when we need them. In cozumel we always do one of the AI beach resorts (nachi cocom/Mr sanchos, etc) as they are quiet, have lots of food and drinks for the adults, and nice clean sand and quiet water for the kids). It is a short taxi ride there, and we at least have the baby buckled in a car seat. Not all taxis even have seatbelts, but unless I was on a bus, I would never get in the car without my littlest in car seats that can be attached. Especially they way some of them drive! My husband and I did ziplining in Belieze (obviously without kids) so I am not sure what is available for young kids. I do remember the tender being a bit crazy. I always fold up the stroller and hand it over, then either step on securely holding the baby myself or pass her to the person helping with boarding, then step on board, get the baby back and find a set in the middle of the tender.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi,

We are going on the Liberty in Feb 2012. Our baby will be 8.5 months at that time. I was wondering if anyone had gone to Cozumel, Belize, Isla Roatan, or Grand Caymen and could give us directions on the shore trips we can actually do with Mackenzie.

Michelle

In Grand Cayman we did a "Reef, Rays & Rum Point" tour with NativeWay Watersports with our 15 month old. From the port, we got on a brief van ride - maybe a few miles, on back roads (no carseat, had my daughter in her infant carrier) to a dock with a nice boat that was not very crowded. The snorkeling part, we just stayed on the boat. For Stingray City, it's a sandbar, so she got in the water with us. Rum Point was a nice beach that had chairs, picnic tables and lots of shade. Lunch was included. We had no issues returning to the ship and had a lovely day.

Archived