Where to buy loose emeralds?

kmdintx

I'm going to be visiting St. Thomas and St. Martin this May. Time is limited at both ports so I'm trying to get some shopping done now. I want to buy a loose emerald or an emerald ring already set if I find a setting that I like (I'm pretty picky...) Should I look I focus my shopping in St. Thomas or St. Martin?

Also, how much can I expect to pay for a 1 carat emerald with a pretty good color (more on the dark green side than light green)? I admit that I haven't done a whole lot of shopping at home yet - but I plan to.

Any suggestions on specific jewelry stores to visit? I thought I remembered seeing a place called Columbian Emeralds. You would think they'd have a good selection. Has anyone been there?

Thanks,

Kim

Colombian Emeralds is no longer in St Thomas. Many of the stores carry loose emeralds, you will just need to ask the sales person.

Two stores that come to mind that specialize in loose stones would be either Gem Casa which is in the Royal Dane Mall or Gemstone House. Both have a large variety of stones in all qualities and price ranges. Most of their loose stones come with documentation from third party evaluators also which is important. They also carry a large variety of settings that you can set your stone in.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Archived