Cave Tubing Concerns/Questions

notes4theheart

Our guide (RCCL excursion; Israel was his name--very knowledgeable) had the 8 tubes linked in two lines of 4; front and back two tubes hooked sideways to each other with straps. The other tubes hooked feet into armpits so we made a straight "circle". The heaviest men were in the back and Israel said that after we were past the shallow parts, we could hook our feet under the tube in front of us (instead of armpits). This made our necks more comfortable. Those of us with short legs couldn't do this, but we did hook our heels over the top sometimes.

Israel hooked us back up if we came apart...and warned the guys when they needed to put their feet up on top and lift their backsides in the shallows. He also pushed and pulled us over to see the waterfall up close and turned us at the bends to avoid hitting the walls or stickery foliage.

Much easier than trying to steer the tube individually (which we did toward the end).

If you rent a pair of dark blue water shoes, size 6, they're probably our son's! lol

Couldn't screw up the courage to taste the termite :rolleyes:

Lockers available behind the gift shop (pay at cashier; $4; small -- 2 people's bag/towels). There's a small bathroom just to the left before going upstairs to lunch if you want to change there instead of walking back to the much larger changing area.

We used VIV - tubes have headrests and mesh in the middle of the tube. There were changerooms available at the site and water shoes for rent. I wore a bathing suit with shorts, my daughter wore her bathing suit only and my other daughter wore her t-shirt and shorts. I would STRONGLY recommend water shoes. Your running shoes will get soaked and maybe muddy.

I would also highly recommend a good insect repellant - not OFF. We used OFF and although three out of four of us were okay, my youngest daughter was bit by something six times - bites were painful - not itchy and she is taking antibiotics for it. I didn't see very many insects but they must be there.

Tendering - Yes -the NCL excursions get off first. We lucked out and although we had a ticket for tender #10 one of the crew told us to go with group #6. We just made it to our tour group on time. The group who was supposed to go with us, we found out later, also had #10 and missed the tour. But they found another company who ended up taking them and it worked out fine. We had lots of time to spare at the end - enough for my daughter to have her hair braided at one of the shops. There were still people on the cavetubing tour that were going ziplining after so I think you will have lots of time.

We left our personal belongings locked in van with driver watching over them. Some people had ziploc bags with their cameras in them so they could take pictures when it was safe to do so.

We didn't sign any waivers.

My 14 year old is not active or athletic at all. The 40 minute hike was a lot for her because the rest of the group were adults, but she did it with no complaints.

We had to fall back from the dock - but it is only one or two foot drop and there is someone there to hold onto you. There was barely a splash.

We really enjoyed the cave tubing and the history of the Mayan people.

Hope this info helps.

Which company is VIV??? I'm looking at tubing and don't really want the feet hook going on. I have a little girl and I think she would be to short to do that.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
I weigh 325 and did not have any problem. Nobody asked about my weight. As long as you can walk 30-45 minutes and sit on a tube you'll be fine. I personally preferred the drop into the tube. I have the potential of looking pretty stupid and getting very wet trying to climb into a floating tube. :eek:

May I ask what tour company you booked with please? Thanks.

Archived