Trying to satisfy many needs with Tampa hotel

gratamama

Hello,

I'll be with my parents, my husband and son for our Carnival cruise over Easter. Here's what i'm looking for in a hotel either before or after our cruise.

In order of importance.

1. reasonable proximity to a beach area (We'll have one day at the beach. ON the beach isn't necessary, just something we can get to reasonably and satisfy an itch for these Northerners.

2. Value. I like cheap but i don't want to be in a dump.

3. Also, my son loves a pool.

4. Free/ cheap transport from airport and Port of Tampa

5. I would like to load up on allowable wine/ soft drinks. Sounds like Rocky Point area doesn't have a lot of that. (but note, last priority)

Right now i'm leading with holiday inn rocky point but i'm betting someone has better suggestions???

While Rocky Point is on the water it does not have a beach area except for the $$$ Westin. The Holiday Inn, Hampton and Chase suites are all on the water and have a seawall area -vs- an actual beach. They do offer really good cruise pkgs that in addtion to airport pick up, free breakfast and shuttle to the port, they also offer the return shuttle after the cruise and free shuttle service anywhere within a 4 mile area. You could take advantage of this to head to a grocery or convenience store. The closest ones would be Walgreens (they sell wine too) or SweetBay Grocery&Liquor store. The Chase suites is right next to the Holiday Inn and Hampton and according to their web-site, they have a small sundries market that sells water and pop. If this is the case, then all you would have to do is take a walk over from the HI for any desired purchases. We have stayed twice at the HI RP. We love their cruise pkg and the hotel is really clean and the service very good. They also have a nice pool area that over looks the Bay. The Bahama Breeze will be your only bet for a restaurant to walk to but it is really good and you can call from the hotel and have your name added to the waiting list. We had dinner there on our first stay and did not call ahead but our wait was only 20 min on a very busy Sat night so it's really not all that bad. The place is pretty big and has lots of tables. As far as wine, there is Tampa Wine Design right across the street from the port ot Tampa. They open at 11am 7 days a week. You could just walk over once you get to the port and buy what you need. It would take less than 5 -10 minutes. They do a great job of wrapping it so you can carry it on. http://www.tampawinedesign.com/

What ever your choice is, good luck and have a great cruise. :)

I thought this may be worth mentioning as well: On our last visit to the hotel we had a crowded and late arriving flight and just wanted to relax. We ordered pizza delivery and it turned out to be a really good choice for us. If you are interested, here is the place that we ordered from. Their prices are really good and they have a good variety of pizza, pasta, wings, salads and sandwiches. The food also arrived hot and on time. http://www.hungryhowies.com/menu

The front desk at the HI also has a stack of take-out menus from places that deliver to the hotel but this place is one of our favorite due to their flavored pizza crusts and good sandwiches.

:):) Have a great time.

Archived