I need an Epic primer

jimbug

I've been away from cruising for a couple of years, and I'm about thisclose to booking the Epic for the second leg of a B2B on different ships next winter. We'll be traveling with an almost 2-year-old, and I've never sailed with NCL before. Can someone give me a primer? What kid-friendly activities are available for her age, if any? Can you book restaurant reservations in advance? If not, is it recommended to book them as soon as you board? What about the Cirque dinner show or any other entertainment? Any tips/tricks/hints, etc.? Thank you! :)

I've been away from cruising for a couple of years, and I'm about thisclose to booking the Epic for the second leg of a B2B on different ships next winter. We'll be traveling with an almost 2-year-old, and I've never sailed with NCL before. Can someone give me a primer? What kid-friendly activities are available for her age, if any? Can you book restaurant reservations in advance? If not, is it recommended to book them as soon as you board? What about the Cirque dinner show or any other entertainment? Any tips/tricks/hints, etc.? Thank you! :)

A lot (I think all actually) of your questions have been addressed in existing posts, some of which are active right now. Take a look at the past threads and you will find answers to all of your questions, and learn quite a bit from those folks who have sailed NCL many times.

There are also two reviews in my signature line that you should read as a primer.

As was stated, there are a lot of recent threads on Epic, especially around making reservations, restaurant charges, etc.. If you scroll through a few pages of topics you'll find a lot of great primer info, then you can come back with specific questions and we'll be glad to help

I'd love to tell you all about the kid's club but my daughter didn't go; however, I talked with the manager on numerous occasions and she seemed to really care about the kids (that was a good sign to me!).

There is Nickelodeon themed things for you and your child to enjoy. There is a Nick breakfast that I'll bet your little one would love - he/she can meet Dora and Diego (a 2 year old will know them for sure!).

I booked my restaurants before boarding. Keep in mind that NCL now requires payment upfront if you chose that option though. Just think of it as a way to keep your final bill down! I also booked a few entertainment options early too.

Booking early does sort of tie you down but you also know that you have the day and time that you want.

Epic is a great ship! Go and enjoy.

If your child is not 2 by the sailing date they cannot participate in any kids camp programs. They did have what was called "Under 2 Zoo." In the Bliss lounge they put mats on the floor in the far back area & placed age appropriate toys on the mats. You could bring your child between noon & three p.m. but had to watch your own child. No staff available. We took my 20 mo. old granddaughter a couple of times & she enjoyed playing there.

We also took her to the Nick character breakfast ($15. pp - no charge for her but older children must pay the fee) but she was a little scared of the characters. Unless you know your child will be into that, I wouldn't spend the money. They listed the time for it from 8:30 - 10:30 I believe but we were out by 9:15! They call you up by table #, you get one picture per family on your camera by each character & you eat while others are getting their pictures done. Once each table has been called it is over. They did have a meet SpongeBob one morning for no cost. I'd go with that unless you know your child will really enjoy the characters.

Archived