Mount Liamuiga--book with ship or local guide?

sewblessed

Has anyone had an issue with an outside excursion on St Kitts--specifically the volcano hike up Mount Liamuiga not making it back in time? We prefer smaller groups when booking excursions and have seen good reviews for Greg's safaris, but his site lists this excursion as 7-9 hours duration. We will be in port from 8-5:00. I just don't want to push the limit on time you know. His price is actually a few bucks more than what Celebrity offers for the hike; so I am wondering is that just because the group may be smaller? Any help here is appreciated. First time to St. Kitts...first on Celebrity...first hike up a volcano... :)!

Has anyone had an issue with an outside excursion on St Kitts--specifically the volcano hike up Mount Liamuiga not making it back in time? We prefer smaller groups when booking excursions and have seen good reviews for Greg's safaris, but his site lists this excursion as 7-9 hours duration. We will be in port from 8-5:00. I just don't want to push the limit on time you know. His price is actually a few bucks more than what Celebrity offers for the hike; so I am wondering is that just because the group may be smaller? Any help here is appreciated. First time to St. Kitts...first on Celebrity...first hike up a volcano... :)!

Hi I am also wondering whether to book via ship or independently. Poinciana tours also offers the hike. I am leaning toward ship booking just in case something goes wrong in terms of time (though most private vendors are very responsible as this is their bread and butter). In fact, independent Volcano tours are only a little bit cheaper than the ships. Has anyone taken the ships tours?

Hi I am also wondering whether to book via ship or independently. Poinciana tours also offers the hike. I am leaning toward ship booking just in case something goes wrong in terms of time (though most private vendors are very responsible as this is their bread and butter). In fact, independent Volcano tours are only a little bit cheaper than the ships. Has anyone taken the ships tours?

my DH insisted that we book with the ship for this excursion...he is concerned about the possibility of an injury on the volcano, or some other reason that could keep us from getting back on time. The 4x4 takes us pretty far from the port, from what I have read & this tour is pushing it on our time frame. So, unless our ship cancels the tour, looks like that is what WE will do; hope your trip ends up fabulous too!

my DH insisted that we book with the ship for this excursion...he is concerned about the possibility of an injury on the volcano, or some other reason that could keep us from getting back on time. The 4x4 takes us pretty far from the port, from what I have read & this tour is pushing it on our time frame. So, unless our ship cancels the tour, looks like that is what WE will do; hope your trip ends up fabulous too!

Hi; my DH has the same concerns (LOL); when are you going and on what ship. Please post your thoughts upon your return. I will try to after our Feb 18th Navigator trip. We usually book on ship due to wanting to use our OBC. I always try to have plan B in case ship sells out or cancels

Hi; my DH has the same concerns (LOL); when are you going and on what ship. Please post your thoughts upon your return. I will try to after our Feb 18th Navigator trip. We usually book on ship due to wanting to use our OBC. I always try to have plan B in case ship sells out or cancels

funny, I was just booking it yesterday thinking, "sure wish I could use my onboard credit on this!" Hahaha, guess I will have to find something else to buy onboard :) shouldn't be too hard! You will experience before us; we are on Feb 25th Eclipse. Enjoy!

Take a look at some of the older posts especially concerning the ship tours vs private ones. Of course YMMV.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1319016

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1373033

When I went through Poinciana tours, we left an HOUR after the ships tour, we took the scenic (long) way back around the island including some stops along the way, dropped off the hotel guests at the Marriott, and still had about 90 minutes to spare.

Your chances of missing the boat are VERY slim. IMHO, the only good chance of missing the boat is if you personally got injured to the point where you needed to be carried down from near the top.

Dennis

Not with an outside excursion, but with Princess we made it to the dock with barely half an hour to spare. Wife and I did not realize how strenuous it was and we were the last ones to join the group. I joke that the drive back was more dangerous than the excursion.

Archived