Getting married in NYC? Hate crowds/lines? Then read on about marriage license

I live in Pennsylvania so New York City is about a 3 hour drive for me, depending on traffic. I hate crowds, I don't enjoy going into NYC and there was really nothing in NYC I wanted to see. I am sure for many of you brides, you might want to play tourist in NYC so don't mind taking time out of your day to wait in city hall. I wasn't up for finding out how long the line was, so I went a different route.

When you get married in NYC, you just have to get your license in NY, you don't have to go into the city. So my husband and I went up to Woodbury, NY and got our license there. It took about the same time to get there (for us because of traffic/public transportation is slow to the city) and we made a whole day out of it.

I chose Woodbury because it's near the Woodbury Commons Shopping Outlet but also it's near Storm King Art Center. If you're in the NJ/PA/NY area and enjoy art and nature, I'd HIGHLY recommend Storm King. It's this huge sculpture park that is just absolutely beautiful.

So my husband and I took off a day of work after making an appointment the week prior to be at Woodbury by 11:00. We got there about 15 minutes early. The area is quaint, small, incredibly cute and there court/municipal area is in an old building. There was only one person there in front of us getting a dog license, so it was relatively quick outside of a technical difficulty they had. By about 11:30 we were done and on our way.

I had packed my husband and I a picnic because Storm King has a nice picnic area. We went to Storm King, had a nice and quiet picnic (we were the only ones in the picnic area!) and then spent most the day walking around the sculpture park. It was a great and relaxing way to spend the day that didn't include rushing around the city and waiting in line.

I've also found it easy to contact Woodbury to get copies of our marriage certificate and they are fast at mailing them. I feel like since they are a smaller town, it's an easier (and friendly) way to go about things.

I live in Pennsylvania so New York City is about a 3 hour drive for me, depending on traffic. I hate crowds, I don't enjoy going into NYC and there was really nothing in NYC I wanted to see. I am sure for many of you brides, you might want to play tourist in NYC so don't mind taking time out of your day to wait in city hall. I wasn't up for finding out how long the line was, so I went a different route.

When you get married in NYC, you just have to get your license in NY, you don't have to go into the city. So my husband and I went up to Woodbury, NY and got our license there. It took about the same time to get there (for us because of traffic/public transportation is slow to the city) and we made a whole day out of it.

I chose Woodbury because it's near the Woodbury Commons Shopping Outlet but also it's near Storm King Art Center. If you're in the NJ/PA/NY area and enjoy art and nature, I'd HIGHLY recommend Storm King. It's this huge sculpture park that is just absolutely beautiful.

So my husband and I took off a day of work after making an appointment the week prior to be at Woodbury by 11:00. We got there about 15 minutes early. The area is quaint, small, incredibly cute and there court/municipal area is in an old building. There was only one person there in front of us getting a dog license, so it was relatively quick outside of a technical difficulty they had. By about 11:30 we were done and on our way.

I had packed my husband and I a picnic because Storm King has a nice picnic area. We went to Storm King, had a nice and quiet picnic (we were the only ones in the picnic area!) and then spent most the day walking around the sculpture park. It was a great and relaxing way to spend the day that didn't include rushing around the city and waiting in line.

I've also found it easy to contact Woodbury to get copies of our marriage certificate and they are fast at mailing them. I feel like since they are a smaller town, it's an easier (and friendly) way to go about things.

That's awsome.. might check out storm king some day.. but u know city hall was not bad at all. as long as u fill out the info online send it go there with you confirmation number and get a ticket and wait to be called all it took me was the max 10 minutes for the license.. I was SHOCKED myself knowing that I lived in NY all my life I thougt this place will be crazy and it was not everything went really smoothly.. The only line I was in was to get my ID seen and get a number and sat for a few mins then looked at the screen got my number called.. it was a 123 process..

Wow, that does sound fast. Yeah I worked/lived/went to school in NYC for 6 years so I wasn't in the mood to go back anyway lol I don't know what we would do, I mean I didn't want to just travel all that way, get the license, and go back home.

Wow, that does sound fast. Yeah I worked/lived/went to school in NYC for 6 years so I wasn't in the mood to go back anyway lol I don't know what we would do, I mean I didn't want to just travel all that way, get the license, and go back home.

Yea that's how I feel at times I hate to travel so far then go back home.. it feels such a waste.. lol suprise you just didn't get the license in ur hometown..

I live in Philadelphia now but I didn't grow up in New York (grew up in NJ). My best friend lived in Manhattan at the time and I spent a lot of time over her apartment when I had to go into the city like for my hair and make-up trial.

Ha! Small world -- I live in Woodbury!!! :)

It's a lovely area! :D I wish it were closer so I could visit more often. First time I went to Storm King was in High School, we went there on an art class trip and I just fell in love with it. Almost makes me feel old because I could walk the entire day at that time, this past time I frequently took the tram lol

Archived