What is the best way to get to Dunn's River Falls on our own?

lilyfrog73

Are you docking in Ocho Rios? If so we have done this before and it was quite easy. We took a sort of large shuttle that was available right at port for about 6$ p/p each way. There was a seperate entrance fee for Dunn's River Falls (15$ I think). You will also need to pay for a locker. It was about 3 years ago (we were there last year but went to Margaritaville) and the dock area has changed somewhat so prices may have changed as well. Google Dunn's River Falls for current entrance fee. We felt ok doing it on our own as we went early in the morning and were back by about 1pm.

The entrance fee for dunns river is $20. You actually dont "NEED" to pay for a locker if you dont wanna, but for your own piece of mind if you wanna.

You can do marguritaville after dunns river, its RIGHT beside the port so its a nice place to chill and relax while you wait, swim, have some food/drinks and not have to worry about having enough time to get back to the ship.

Thanks for the replies. Are these shuttles marked specifically or is it like a taxi service? It will be my husband and 2 children. I thought I read somewhere to stick with specific cabs.

Oh, and yes we will be docked in Ocho Rios. Is Margaritaville far from the port? Can we walk to and from easily?

Thanks for the replies. Are these shuttles marked specifically or is it like a taxi service? It will be my husband and 2 children. I thought I read somewhere to stick with specific cabs.

Oh, and yes we will be docked in Ocho Rios. Is Margaritaville far from the port? Can we walk to and from easily?

Its right beside the port... like maybe a 4 min walk if that much lol.

What about taxis/cabs? Are there better ones to use??

No clue about this as Ive never had to do this. But Im sure any of the cabs the dispatchers at the port use would be fine. Plus, dunns river is pretty close, maybe 10 mins drive tops. You wont have a prob.

There's a place that has great jerk chicken (maybe someone else knows the name, I'm drawing a blank) that isn't far from the port. Personally, I'd go there over Margaritaville, not that there's anything wrong with it but it's just a typical touristy restaurant.

If you're going to climb the falls (which is an awesome experience), you don't necessarily need to climb as part of a group led by a guide like you'll see most people doing. We did it that way once and then went back a different time and climbed on our own and actually found climbing on our own easier if anything. If you're going to climb, bring water shoes with, the ones I bought at Wal-Mart were cheaper than the price of renting them at the falls. And if you're going to climb, put your stuff in one of the lockers right when you get there, don't get excited and start exploring like we did then have to backtrack later.

There's a place that has great jerk chicken (maybe someone else knows the name, I'm drawing a blank) that isn't far from the port. Personally, I'd go there over Margaritaville, not that there's anything wrong with it but it's just a typical touristy restaurant.

If you're going to climb the falls (which is an awesome experience), you don't necessarily need to climb as part of a group led by a guide like you'll see most people doing. We did it that way once and then went back a different time and climbed on our own and actually found climbing on our own easier if anything. If you're going to climb, bring water shoes with, the ones I bought at Wal-Mart were cheaper than the price of renting them at the falls. And if you're going to climb, put your stuff in one of the lockers right when you get there, don't get excited and start exploring like we did then have to backtrack later.

Thanks for the tips!! :)

Thanks for the info. We're looking into doing the same. Our cruise only offers excursions to Dunns River that are combined with another activity... which we aren't really interested in... so the independent route is our best bet now.

I remember reading somewhere about the taxis having a JTA logo (or something to that effect) signifying those that are approved by the Jamaican Tourism Authority.

Archived