Anchorage or not?

billmelbourne

As a forty year resident of Anchorage, my feelings are hurt (only kidding) :) Most tourists on cruise tours usually spend less than a day in Anchorage of which their time is spent walking around the downtown area looking for something to do.

Granted Anchorage is no cosmopolitan gem but we are the largest city in the state and, as another poster said, the gateway to the rest of Alaska. There's plenty to do here if you take the time to seek it out - I always recommend the Anchorage Museum, the Public Lands Information Center, the Alaska Native Heritage Center, a drive to Palmer and the Independence Mine, a trip down Turnagain Arm to the Begich-Boggs Visitor Center, a day boat trip from Whittier, a day or (even better) overnight trip to Seward and a boat into Kenai Fjords National Park, a hike in the Chugach State Park, and much more. We even have some great restaurants that serve fresh Alaska wild salmon and not that farmed stuff.

Alaskans are justifiably proud to live here and are often caught bragging about it. It's just our nature I guess.

For more on Anchorage and the surrounding area, go to www.anchorage.net It's really worth doing some homework before you visit our state.

Dear Chenega, I am truly sorry for making your hometown seem insignificant. You have much to be proud of. That being said, I am a world traveler and find your state to be the most beautiful of any place I have ever visited. Please understand that those of us who visit Alaska usually come for the scenery and wildlife. To me it is the "last frontier" and the last thing I want is a city, museums, stores and fancy restaurants. That is what I meant when I said "nothing special" in my post. I want to spend my time in the "wild" such as Denali. As a city is concerned, you are right about Anchorage having quite a bit to do. We had several lovely meals and enjoyed the city walking. I am sorry for not phrasing my response in a less offensive way. I have been there twice and will be back for a third time this summer. Lucky you to live there!

I can't resist posting this link about Anchorage in a thread about Anchorage.

If you live here or used to live here, you'll understand it. If you've traveled here, you'll understand some of it...how much will be determined by how often you've been, and how observant you are.

If you haven't been here yet, some of these will make absolutely no sense to you...perhaps viewing it upon your return home will result in some "ah-ha" moments.

Enjoy, and I hope you have a few laughs (I actually laugh more each time I watch it).

Dear Chenega, I am truly sorry for making your hometown seem insignificant. You have much to be proud of. That being said, I am a world traveler and find your state to be the most beautiful of any place I have ever visited. Please understand that those of us who visit Alaska usually come for the scenery and wildlife. To me it is the "last frontier" and the last thing I want is a city, museums, stores and fancy restaurants. That is what I meant when I said "nothing special" in my post. I want to spend my time in the "wild" such as Denali. As a city is concerned, you are right about Anchorage having quite a bit to do. We had several lovely meals and enjoyed the city walking. I am sorry for not phrasing my response in a less offensive way. I have been there twice and will be back for a third time this summer. Lucky you to live there!

Thanks for your comments. My wife and I have worked in the tourist industry for many years and do get a bit "touchy" when visitors tend to dismiss Anchorage. I find that a day in Anchorage can be a great way to prepare yourself for other sights in the state. I'm a big fan of the Alaska Public Lands Information Center on 4th Avenue in downtown Anchorage. The displays and presentations on the natural landscape are a great overview of the 49th state and they're staffed by a highly informed and enthusiastic group of people. I always recommend a meal at one of our many great restaurants when you can sample some fresh salmon, crab, reindeer sausage, or sourdough pancakes.

What I love about Anchorage is that it is a city that lacks pretensions. Casual is the norm here even when you go out to a visiting Broadway show or head out to dinner.

Having been raised in the Los Angeles area, I appreciate the less-than-frantic pace that comes with living here. Granted, it does has its drawbacks - we've had a cold snap with below zero days that most would like to see end right now :)

If a person is interested in the Alaska Native Cultures, you'll find a visit to the Alaska Native Heritage Center well worth your time. Alaska history is well served by the Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center and the trip down Turnagain Arm puts you on a national scenic highway.

I'd never recommend spending your entire trip to Alaska in Anchorage; however, it provides a great introduction to our state and a fine base to begin one's explorations.

I have read the Glen Alps Trailhead in Chugach State Park, 20 minutes from Anchorage, is also a good place to spot Moose. Although we spent time in Anchorage, we never the saw the moose in town that so many others seemed to indicate were overrunning the city. ;)

You were just looking in the wrong places.

Chenega...

I'm a fan (and I haven't been there yet!) I met a wonderful lady from Alaska on a TA cruise in 08 and she was from Anchorage and LOVES her city! :D

I would love for you to recommend a nice seafood restaurant for us to go to when we are there in June! The seafood restaurants here in South Florida leave a lot to be desired! :(

We are also going to visit the Alaska Native Heritage museum as it was recommended...anything else I should know about? I was thinking if the weather was nice we would do one of those helicopter tours and land on a glacier. How many people can say they've done that????

I wish June were here already....

Chenega...

I'm a fan (and I haven't been there yet!) I met a wonderful lady from Alaska on a TA cruise in 08 and she was from Anchorage and LOVES her city! :D

I would love for you to recommend a nice seafood restaurant for us to go to when we are there in June! The seafood restaurants here in South Florida leave a lot to be desired! :(

We are also going to visit the Alaska Native Heritage museum as it was recommended...anything else I should know about? I was thinking if the weather was nice we would do one of those helicopter tours and land on a glacier. How many people can say they've done that????

I wish June were here already....

Oh, very glad to respond but this is all an opinion of course :)

My wife and I love Simon and Seafort's in downtown Anchorage. It is one of the few restaurants with a view of Cook Inlet and their service has been consistent over the years. In June, they will have fresh Copper River salmon on the menu; it is so good! They also have other items as well.

Other excellent restaurants are the Glacier Brewhouse and Ristorante Orso.

For breakfast, locals love the downtown Snow City Cafe.

I've never done the helicopter trips due to the price and you find those predominantly in Southeast Alaska (Juneau and Skagway)anyway. However, I always recommend a day boat trip out of Whittier to see the glaciers of western Prince William Sound. These will cost you about $200.00 if you include transportation from the downtown hotels. Both Phillips Cruises and Major Marine tours operate these and both companies are outstanding. They often have online discounts as well as 2-1 deals in various coupon books that have been mentioned on cruise critic. Your trip to the boats includes sightseeing along Turnagain Arm. You can also do this trip using the Alaska Railroad.

I sure hope this helps.

We saw our first Alaska moose this year on the side of the interstate in Anchorage! Not sure how he got inside the fence, but he was munching away, cars streaming by not paying any attention. You have to keep your eyes open and you will see all sorts of things in Alaska! I personally liked the wonderful visitor's center and the area around it. We were in Anchorage two days this past June and had a wonderful time. Loved the bed and breakfast we stayed at.

I sure hope this helps.

I loved the Snow City Cafe for lunch. As a vegetarian it is not often easy to find a nice selection of veggie options. This place was great!!! The Brewhouse on the other hand was not our favorite, but I know it gets rave reviews.

That helped a lot! We shall try Simon and Seafort's!

We have the train booked from Anchorage to Whittier the day of the cruise, and time permitting, we are going to do the tour of PWS. Just not sure with the train arrival at 12:05 and the tour at 12:45 we will be able to check our bags on the ship and go! They say it's right across the street from the cruise terminal, so hopefully we will make it (also hope the weather is nice that day!)I hear it's totally hit or miss with weather in Alaska! I will be ready for anything!

Thanks for your suggestions :D

I live here too-for going on 36 years. I think your idea of Anchorage is just Downtown. As for seeing moose, I had one on my poarch last week. She was enjoying some of my trees and the ice melt from the deck.

As for Glen Alps, it is a parking lot that provides access to the mountains. If you want to see moose there, I suggest late august-early sept. Go up early in the day-no later than 9 am. Follow the trailhead (to the left of the big staircase) for about 1/2 a mile. You will end up in a bog sweeping valley that can be loaded with moose.

We were up there in the fall last year on two different occasions and saw at least 1 dozen moose on each trip.

Last year we were up there having lunch about 3 miles down the trail and saw two bulls engaging in a little wrestling. We had to leave because they got about 50 yards away and were getting a little too close.

Drive 15 minutes south of Anchorage and you get to Beluga point-a spot where you can often see schools of Beluga whales swimming by.

Just past there is McHugh Creek park, a pretty little park with a great view.

Drive 1/2 hr down the road and you will find Bird point, another spot that leads to a great bike trail and more unbelievable views.

So, don't discount Anchorage. It can be very interesting.....

That helped a lot! We shall try Simon and Seafort's!

We have the train booked from Anchorage to Whittier the day of the cruise, and time permitting, we are going to do the tour of PWS. Just not sure with the train arrival at 12:05 and the tour at 12:45 we will be able to check our bags on the ship and go! They say it's right across the street from the cruise terminal, so hopefully we will make it (also hope the weather is nice that day!)I hear it's totally hit or miss with weather in Alaska! I will be ready for anything!

Thanks for your suggestions :D

The Alaska Railroad and the day boat tours work together so you won't miss the tour. It is true that the weather is unpredictable so dress in layers and be ready for anything. FYI - I never get tired of a trip into Prince William Sound. Personally, I enjoy it more than a bumpy bus trip into Denali.

I can't resist posting this link about Anchorage in a thread about Anchorage.

If you live here or used to live here, you'll understand it. If you've traveled here, you'll understand some of it...how much will be determined by how often you've been, and how observant you are.

If you haven't been here yet, some of these will make absolutely no sense to you...perhaps viewing it upon your return home will result in some "ah-ha" moments.

Enjoy, and I hope you have a few laughs (I actually laugh more each time I watch it).

Thank you!! ROFLMAO!! Sharing with my family of transplanted Alaskans now.

So let me ask this:

To refresh, we're arriving in Anchorage on Day 1 in the mid-afternoon. Downtime to get used to time changes, etc. We have day 2 available, and then on Day 3 going to Whittier to catch our ship.

We're currently booked with the Princess transfer from Anchorage to Whittier that leaves around 1 PM, so there's no time to do the PWS tour.

Does it make sense on Day 2 to go from Anchorage to Whittier by train, do the PWS tour, and then back to Anchorage for the evening? Or should we just take the train on Day 3 and do the tour?

So let me ask this:

To refresh, we're arriving in Anchorage on Day 1 in the mid-afternoon. Downtime to get used to time changes, etc. We have day 2 available, and then on Day 3 going to Whittier to catch our ship.

We're currently booked with the Princess transfer from Anchorage to Whittier that leaves around 1 PM, so there's no time to do the PWS tour.

Does it make sense on Day 2 to go from Anchorage to Whittier by train, do the PWS tour, and then back to Anchorage for the evening? Or should we just take the train on Day 3 and do the tour?

I would cancel the Princess transfer and book yourself on a PWS independently on cruising day. The PWS vendors do offer packages that include transportation to Whittier and the tour. Last I checked, one company offered bus transportation, and one offered train transportation. You could also check if Princess is offering a PWS tour pre-cruise.

On day 2 I would take in what Anchorage has to offer. You could rent a car and drive the Turnagain Arm or drive to Manatuska Glacier to do some treking if that appeals to you, or just tour Anchorage.

You folks are so great. We are doing a b2b mid June. We arrive in Whittier as the "last" day of the first leg. I checked the Princess forum for excursions for that day and the are, understandably, for folks heading home. I think there are only three and they drop you at airport or "hospitality center." Do not know what the hospitality center is. :confused:

So what I am looking for are some things to do for the day. Any advise??:)

You folks are so great. :cool: We are doing a b2b mid June. We arrive in Whittier as the "last" day of the first leg. I checked the Princess forum for excursions for that day and the are, understandably, for folks heading home. I think there are only three and they drop you at airport or "hospitality center." Do not know what the hospitality center is. :confused:

So what I am looking for are some things to do for the day. Any advice??:)

I would cancel the Princess transfer and book yourself on a PWS independently on cruising day. The PWS vendors do offer packages that include transportation to Whittier and the tour. Last I checked, one company offered bus transportation, and one offered train transportation. You could also check if Princess is offering a PWS tour pre-cruise.

On day 2 I would take in what Anchorage has to offer. You could rent a car and drive the Turnagain Arm or drive to Manatuska Glacier to do some treking if that appeals to you, or just tour Anchorage.

The day cruises will even transfer you to Whittier, take you on their 4-5 hour trip, and bring you back so you can board your cruise ship. The companies up here have this down to a science.

Oh, very glad to respond but this is all an opinion of course :)

My wife and I love Simon and Seafort's in downtown Anchorage. It is one of the few restaurants with a view of Cook Inlet and their service has been consistent over the years. In June, they will have fresh Copper River salmon on the menu; it is so good! They also have other items as well.

I've never done the helicopter trips due to the price and you find those predominantly in Southeast Alaska (Juneau and Skagway)anyway. However, I always recommend a day boat trip out of Whittier to see the glaciers of western Prince William Sound. These will cost you about $200.00 if you include transportation from the downtown hotels. Both Phillips Cruises and Major Marine tours operate these and both companies are outstanding. They often have online discounts as well as 2-1 deals in various coupon books that have been mentioned on cruise critic. Your trip to the boats includes sightseeing along Turnagain Arm. You can also do this trip using the Alaska Railroad.

I sure hope this helps.

We ate at Orso's one evening and had a wonderful meal. It was just a block from the Captain Cook.

Archived