New Orleans with kids...

Mumof2

Hi, we'll be on the Conquest out of NOLA on July 22nd. We are joining up with family for a reunion. Some family members will go a few days prior and see New Orleans. We have kids ages 10 and 12...I've always thought of NOLA as an adult type of destination. Is there anything worthwhile for families there? Also, any hotel recommendations? We are flying in from Vancouver, so no parking requirements or anything like that.

Thanks!

Hi Mumof2, yes NOLA is more adult oriented. But during day there are things for kids to see. Go to Jackson Square, there are street mims(sp), people who stand still like statues, then holler Boo after a crowd gathers & musicians. Your children are old enough I think to enjoy this. There is also an aquarium or you can go to the riverwalk & watch boats, etc.

We are going in April and have 4 children from ages 12 to 2. We have already discussed that the kids don't need to be out after about 8:30pm.I am the DBS-desginated babysitter AKA Nana:). So I can to go back to room with kids and watch a movie. My DH is going with our older grown children to enjoy the night sights.

I have booked the Drury Inn based on the recomendations from other cc members. They have free wifi, free breakfast, afternoon popcorn & soft drinks, and 5:30 kickbacks which is free appetizers and adult beverages.

Have a great time, I am beside myself excited. I love creating memories with my family, life is short, enjoy it now:)

We stayed at the Drury when our kids were young and older. Great safe motel for kids. Very nice breakfast and fun snacks in the evening. Nice rooftop pool/hot tub. From the the pool area you can see the ship(s) ported in the distance in the morning. We walked through Bourban street (daytime) when they were young to look at the old European style buildings. Plenty to do with kids! Oh yes, you can ride the street cars. One stops in front of the Drury. Have fun!

Thanks for the replies...the Drury looks nice but doesn't have availability on Expedia or Hotels.com. Rooms come up through their own website but at $235/nt which is too much for us. I'll keep looking... :)

The Aquarium (right at the riverfront) is a kid friendly favorite, and right near it you can board the trolley car that goes along the waterfront, past Jackson square and so forth.

A ride on the Natchez sternwheeler....

A plateful of beignets at Cafe du Monde is a guaranteed sugar fix for the kids....

Farther afield, New Orleans has a great park and zoo....

My kids cannot go to NOLA without beignets from Cafe Du Monde! That's a must do! They also love the Insectarium. We take our kids to NOLA often, just don't be out too late with them and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I live not far from NO and have taken my kids there many times.

Definitely keep checking for hotels. Summer tends to be very cheap, but several months out, the prices may be higher. You might want to go ahead and book something in your price range now but keep checking for better deals. I have stayed many times in summer for at or under $100/night (at hotels that are normally 2-3 times that price).

The Drury is nice and would be good for kids with the snacks.

As someone else said, plan for some indoor things because of the heat. Have fun!

So...the reason you're getting the high rates might be b/c your dates are close to Tales of the Cocktail (July 25-29). Any hotel in the FQ, particularly the Monteleone and Royal Sonesta, are going to be booked up.

Generally when you're looking for hotels in N.O. in the busy times, there are minimum stay requirements -- if you expand your search by a day or 2, more hotels and better rates will pop up. For Mardi Gras, I know a lot of people buy the minimum (3 or 4 days) even if they only plan to stay 2 days -- then ditch the extra days. Its seems like a "waste", but like I said...you'll get better rates and hotel choices. And, if other people in your family reunion want to stay on extra days, you can give 'em your room...

As for the kiddos...granted, N.O. deserves its "adult" reputation, but there are TONS of things for kids to do. My nieces and nephews LOVE the swamp tours. Horse-drawn carriage ride around the FQ.

Kid-friendly hotels in New Orleans -- again, given what will be going down in the FQ (international gathering of bartenders and professional booze hounds), you might stick to hotels in the Warehouse/Arts District and Convention Center area (all walking distance to the port and the FQ).

Louisiana Children's Museum

Audubon Experience(Audubon zoo, insectarium, aquarium package deal) -- in the summer months, the "Cool Zoo" at zoo is a great water/splash park for the kids.

You can also take the Canal streetcar to City Park -- Storyland and amusement park, Sculpture Garden, gondola and paddle boats, etc. are good, clean fun for the kids. :)

We just got back from 2 nights down there with our 3 year old son. I would recommend staying in the Arts district or Central Business District. We got the multi pass to the Audubon, so that kept us pretty busy (Zoo, Aquarium, IMAX, and Insectarium). We also walked thru Riverwalk. If you want some live music in a more kid friendly place, the outdoor bar outside of Riverwalk - next to the Algiers ferry played some nice music that my son enjoyed. Jackson Square and walking along the river was also very enjoyable. For kids friendly dining, I really like Felix's. The waitresses there were super friendly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Gazebo Cafe is also a good, outdoor place for music, and it's right in the French Market area. Good band plays daily, and I'm told the gumbo is spot-on.

Someone in another thread mentioned worrying about what the kids might see in the FQ -- basically, unless you take 'em down Bourbon Street, the worst they'll see is a T-shirt with boobs or a tasteless slogan on it in a tacky tourist shop, or maybe some of the dirty burnouts that hang out on Decatur. Strippers aren't traipsing the streets of the FQ. No ones flashing boobs anywhere other than Bourbon, and even then, it's not as much as you'd think and it largely depends on the time of year and day. And again...it's mostly restricted to the shenanigans on Bourbon -- EASILY avoidable.

Archived