Skocjan or Postojna Caves?

Which of the two caves would you recommend for a 10 hour cruise stop in Koper and why?

http://www.park-skocjanske-jame.si/eng/caves.shtml The Skocjan caves were awe inspiring! We were in Koper in October on the Voyager. The town had set up a few booths on the pier where you could sign up for tours. The Skacjan caves looked interesting and the price was really reasonable for a driver to take us there in his 8 seat mini bus. It wasn't a very long drive at all. When you get there, you walk way down the hill to the entrance of the caves and you walk the entire distance inside the cave. You have to be able-bodied and reasonably fit to do this as you'll be walking up inclines and declines. The caves are so big, like underground cathedrals in parts. I can't even describe how magnificent it all was. As the end of the tour you have to walk a bit up the hill to where you take a funicular up to the top to the visitor center. That was a lot of fun, too.

From what I read before we were at Koper, the difference between the caves are that the Skocjan caves are far less commercialized and there's no train. It's all on foot. I wouldn't have missed the Skocjan caves for the world!

Archived