Snorkeling at the "split" in Caye Caulker

Melismass

We are planning on taking the water taxi over to Caye Caulker on our own. I was thinking of snorkeling at the split, but am considering taking a short snorkeling trip with a company if need be. What have you seen while snorkeling at the split?

We are planning on taking the water taxi over to Caye Caulker on our own. I was thinking of snorkeling at the split, but am considering taking a short snorkeling trip with a company if need be. What have you seen while snorkeling at the split?

I go there a lot. Lots of fish, You might see a ray or two. Last month a manatee came into the split. manatee-at-split.jpghttp://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/421086/Manatee_seen_lingering_at_Caye.html

I go there a lot. Lots of fish, You might see a ray or two. Last month a manatee came into the split. manatee-at-split.jpghttp://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/421086/Manatee_seen_lingering_at_Caye.html

Thanks Wade! I didnt think I was going to get a response! Since you go there alot, could you recommend a private charter to Caye Caulker from Belize City. We are a party of 11 and I just dont like the water taxi schedule that much. I would be alot more comfortable if we had our own transportaion that would work on our time frame and ensure we get back to our ship on time.

Thanks Wade! I didnt think I was going to get a response! Since you go there alot, could you recommend a private charter to Caye Caulker from Belize City. We are a party of 11 and I just dont like the water taxi schedule that much. I would be alot more comfortable if we had our own transportation that would work on our time frame and ensure we get back to our ship on time.

You would do better flying or the water taxi. Fuel is high and I dont know anyone that would do a five hour charter burning three hrs of fuel for less than $500us. Plus it would be a smaller boat. Longer ride and more choppy. Also with a charter that long, two hours each way, I would think you would have a greater chance of something going wrong. The airlines run every hour to San Pedro and every two hours to Caye Caulker. I would water taxi to Caye Caulker or fly to San Pedro.

Loved snorkeling at the split on our Legend cruise in '09! The water taxi ride was about 40-45 minutes from Belize City. Have heard rumors the water taxis are not as reliable, so I think this time we're going to book through Coral Breeze. They have a snorkeling excursion to shark ray alley, but you can just book as an "observer" and be let off at Caye Caulker while they go snorkel. They bring the tour back to Caye Caulker after snorkeling to have lunch and about an hour on the island. So you end up having 3 hours or so on the island.

Loved snorkeling at the split on our Legend cruise in '09! The water taxi ride was about 40-45 minutes from Belize City. Have heard rumors the water taxis are not as reliable, so I think this time we're going to book through Coral Breeze. They have a snorkeling excursion to shark ray alley, but you can just book as an "observer" and be let off at Caye Caulker while they go snorkel. They bring the tour back to Caye Caulker after snorkeling to have lunch and about an hour on the island. So you end up having 3 hours or so on the island.

Well, I presented both options to our group and everyone feels ok about taking the water taxi. I am a little bit leary, but we will keep a close eye on the time and trust that the water taxi will be close to on schedule. We are a group of 11 adults so I think we will be fine. I am really looking forward to visiting Caye Caulker. We have already done the Coral Breezes tour. It didnt give us enough time on the island!

Well, I presented both options to our group and everyone feels ok about taking the water taxi. I am a little bit leary, but we will keep a close eye on the time and trust that the water taxi will be close to on schedule. We are a group of 11 adults so I think we will be fine. I am really looking forward to visiting Caye Caulker. We have already done the Coral Breezes tour. It didnt give us enough time on the island!

We did the water taxi last time. Got off the tender, walked out of the port and down just a little bit to where the water taxi office was. It was fine. I think, based on when we got into port, and the water taxi schedule, we had about 3-4 hours on the island. We didn't want to push it too much so we got back in with plenty of time to catch a tender back to the ship. I think we will probably check as we get closer to cruise time if anyone has any comments about the water taxis and how reliable they are running. If we do end up doing Coral Breeze, we're not going to do the snorkeling trip, just staying put on the island.

Archived