Traveling with 16mo on RCI Explorer

rm1247

Hi,

We are leaving in a few weeks on RCI Explorer of the Seas and traveling with my 16 month old. I've researched quite a bit and am very grateful for the tips on this board. However, there are a few things where the info is either outdated or not discussed. I'd love any help on these questions (from EOS or any other Voyager class ship):

1. What are the high chairs like in the MDR? Do they have trays and are there plenty available? We are driving to port, so I could pack my own portable one.

2. What type of programming do they have for toddlers? I know there aren't any nurseries, but I was wondering about the toy loaning and playgroups (times and how often, what kind of toys).

3. Where can I get milk and is it whole milk?

4. What did your toddler enjoy most on board? This is actually her 2nd cruise, but her first one where she's mobile. :eek:

5. My older kids (ages 7 & 11) would love to see recent copies of the AO Compass from Explorer. :)

Thanks for your help!

1. What are the high chairs like in the MDR? Do they have trays and are there plenty available? We are driving to port, so I could pack my own portable one.

We were on the LOS and they do have high chairs available. In the buffet, you have to seek them out but in the MDR they will bring one to your table. They do have trays but honestly I would bring some of those disposable sticky mats and use those on the table instead of using the tray. I really don't think you will need to bring your own.

2. What type of programming do they have for toddlers? I know there aren't any nurseries, but I was wondering about the toy loaning and playgroups (times and how often, what kind of toys).

Royal Caribbean has partnered with Fisher Price, Mattel and Crayola to offer a variety of kid and family-friendly games and activities for all ages. Look for them in the compasses or check with the kids club. I believe they also have a room available for toddlers to play in....It is unsupervised and at least on our ship, was open from 9-5.

Also you may want to inquire about in cabin babysitting. The fee is $19/hr for up to 3 hours. You can request a babysitter at Guest Services. They will tell you that one is not guaranteed since it is based on availability of the staff but if you want some alone time, it may be worth looking into.

3. Where can I get milk and is it whole milk?

There is whole milk available at the buffet and I believe also in the MDR. But what I recommend, is calling room service and have them bring you containers daily. I have done that on every cruise...room service delivered a couple of milks to me every morning at 7:30 and I stored them in cabin fridge. Also I recommend bringing a small container of detergent to clean out the sippy cups in the room.

4. What did your toddler enjoy most on board? This is actually her 2nd cruise, but her first one where she's mobile. :eek:

Since your toddler is probably not potty trained, I would recommend bringing a small blow up swimming pool. You can put it on the deck and bring some toys so your baby can play. I did this for my DD when she was 1 and she really enjoyed it. I would also recommend taking part in any of the toddler activities they have on board. My DD enjoyed those as well.

5. My older kids (ages 7 & 11) would love to see recent copies of the AO Compass from Explorer. :)

Sorry can't help you with that....

Thanks for your help!

Hope this helps you!

Hey there friend! ;) Found your post and I'm bumping because I too am curious though from a 6 month old perspective (highchair w/tray would be awesome since she loves sitting up with us to play with toys). And we can't wait to cruise with you soon!!! ;)

In regards to the fisher price thing, they used to have a sign out for toys and you could swap them during the cruise for other toys, does anyone know if they still do this? Would save me some packing of toys.

Thanks! :)

Thanks, mymollysue, that is helpful. I just didn't pay attention to the high chairs the last time we were on Explorer (just had older kids along).

And thanks, Jenn, for the bump!

I would love to hear from someone who's been on the Explorer recently. Anyone out there? :)

Archived