Rental Car - LAX to Crowne Plaza, San Pedro

Has anyone done an Enterprise car rental pickup at LAX and drop off at Crowne Plaza in San Pedro? Thinking of doing that on arrival for 3/10 cruise on Sapphire Princess (two people in our party, arriving into LAX mid-day 3/9). Thought that having a car might make any pre-cruise errands, etc. a bit easier but don't know if the cost and effort makes it worthwhile vs using one of the shuttle services.

Thanks!

Has anyone done an Enterprise car rental pickup at LAX and drop off at Crowne Plaza in San Pedro? Thinking of doing that on arrival for 3/10 cruise on Sapphire Princess (two people in our party, arriving into LAX mid-day 3/9). Thought that having a car might make any pre-cruise errands, etc. a bit easier but don't know if the cost and effort makes it worthwhile vs using one of the shuttle services.

Thanks!

We are arriving three days prior to our cruise and I called Enterprise today. If we pick up the car and return to LAX (then take shuttle to the port) it was $133.00 If we pick up at LAX and return to San Pedro, same car, the price quoted was $266.00 Just about double! By returning to San Pedro, not only is there a $40.00 drop off charge, the car was billed as three one way pickups!

It would have been convenient to drop off in San Pedro, but not for double the price. We will return it to LAX and take the shuttle

Hope this information helps.

Lorraine:)

You may care to check Avis, they have a location on Ocean in Long Beach which I have dealt with in the past...it's about a $20 cab ride back to the Crowne Plaza....but I have been much more comfortable dealing with them than Enterprise.

We are arriving three days prior to our cruise and I called Enterprise today. If we pick up the car and return to LAX (then take shuttle to the port) it was $133.00 If we pick up at LAX and return to San Pedro, same car, the price quoted was $266.00 Just about double! By returning to San Pedro, not only is there a $40.00 drop off charge, the car was billed as three one way pickups!

It would have been convenient to drop off in San Pedro, but not for double the price. We will return it to LAX and take the shuttle

Hope this information helps.

You can drop off the car at San Pedro Enterprise and pay just $40 drop off charge. What you need to do is book a roundtrip car at LAX return LAX but drop off San Pedro instead.

That's is what I was told when I decided to rent a car by the Enterprise customer service person who answer the phone at the San Pedro office.

You can drop off the car at San Pedro Enterprise and pay just $40 drop off charge. What you need to do is book a roundtrip car at LAX return LAX but drop off San Pedro instead.

That's is what I was told when I decided to rent a car by the Enterprise customer service person who answer the phone at the San Pedro office.

Almost the same as we did a few years ago.

We had a late flight out so we rented a car in San Pedro then returned it to Long Beach airport, cost was the daily rate plus $40 drop off fee at that time taxi to airport was $30 - $35 + tip. It worked out great for us.

The taxi/shuttle costs from LAX can help off set the drop off fee, also you need to talk with the office you will be renting from not the 800 phone number.

Thanks to all for the responses. For the $40 cost of the drop off fee I'll seriously consider it vs shuttle. The opportunity to have a car for the day we're in town pre-cruise is attractive to me (no doubt we'll have things we need or want to pick up). Thanks again for everyone's willingness to share info!

Thanks for the update, that is not what I was told. I will call Enterprise tomorrow and check out dropping it off with only $40.00 fee, it will be much more convenient

Hi

I called the Enterprise San Pedro office this morning.

They cannot make the reservation and I had to call the 800 number. At that number they said we could not do what you suggested.

The fee is more than $100.00 more by picking up at LAX and returning to San Pedro, it is considered a one way rental.

Please let me know the name of the person you spoke to at San Pedro Office and I will try again.

Thanks

Hi

I called the Enterprise San Pedro office this morning.

They cannot make the reservation and I had to call the 800 number. At that number they said we could not do what you suggested.

The fee is more than $100.00 more by picking up at LAX and returning to San Pedro, it is considered a one way rental.

Please let me know the name of the person you spoke to at San Pedro Office and I will try again.

Thanks

Lorraine,

If you are picking your car at LAX, you need to call the LAX office at 310-649-5400 and press 5 to speak to a customer service at that location. The cost would be the number of day rental + taxes + drop off fee ($40) to drop it off at San Pedro.

If you are picking up your car at San Pedro, call the local office at 310-548-8060 and Press 5.

It depend on where you pick up. Don't call the 800's number. They don't know or not aware of the situation.

:)

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all for their responses since I started this last month. I took the suggested approach of calling Enterprise at LAX and requesting a drop off in San Pedro. They were happy to accommodate me except that the rate on the rental was about double, with the $40 drop off fee on top of that. Turned a $70 rental into a $120 one.

Rate is much better to rent from Hertz at LAX and drop off at Lomita. Any recent experiences - particularly getting back to San Pedro (Crowne Plaza) from the Hertz location?

The basic problem is most rental car companies have locations that share a "pool" of cars in a city, and other locations that have their own "captive" fleet. Enterprise seems to be a mix...I believe the San Pedro location is the latter. If you pick up at LAX and drop the car in SP, employees have to return the car to LAX. The SP office can't re-rent the car from their location.

The same is true with Hertz Local Edition, etc. But Enterprise doesn't brand the two types of locations differently, making it difficult to tell them apart.

Archived