Montego Bay Canopy Tour aka Zip Line 4/6/05

sunvalley cruisers

I have to start off by saying this is the best excursion in 6 cruises that I have ever done. It was awesome.

We were signed up for the 10:30 excursion on the Carnival Conquest, you meet in the pier building at the designated sign. They load you up into a van and take you out to the sight. I think the ride was about 1/2 hour. It's on the other side of the island. You go through lots of orange groves and through the jungle to get there. When you arrive they harness you up in all your gear. They have very clean but slightly primative buildings/bathrooms. So you've got a chance for a last minute potty stop if needed. They then take you on a short walk up to the first platform and give you a talk about the hand signals, yell signals and how to and where to put your hands. We then broke up into two groups, each having about 12 people. Anytime you are on a platform you are attached with your safety rope. The first zip is a short one, nice way to get started. You do a total of 9 zips, with two that are just mini ones and one that is wayyyyy loooong. Yikes! It started to pour on us when we were waiting to do this one, no matter mon, it's just a little rain! Ever been in a Jamiacan downpour? more like mini monsoon! Anyway, it really didn't matter. You should have seen the rain pour off us though as we were zipping across this huge ravine, it was like watching the rain rush off the back of your car at 45 mph!

The whole thing was very exciting and fun. Some recommendations: If you are at all queezy about heights--this is not for you. The #6 zip is really long and has a huge ravine down to the river. Not for the faint of heart. We had a wide range of ages in the two groups that we went with. Everything from a kid who looked to be about 10 to seniors in their early 60's. I am 41 and my DH is 43. We are both active. There are some steep paths that you hike, with some steep stairs, althought they are not long hikes.

Chakka hired the Original Canopy Tour People from Costa Rica to train their people and to set up the whole operation. They are very well trained. They only allow so many zips across the cables before they replace them, so it really does seem to be a very good and safe operation. I felt safe the whole time.

Some of the zips are pretty fast. Someone asked if it takes alot of strength. Only if you don't make it across all the way. There is very little chance of this unless you brake too often. If you do they usually tell you to quit braking! Braking is with the hand that is placed on the cable behind you, the harder you squeeze with your gloved hand, the slower you go. You don't want to go slow folks cause you don't want to get stuck in the middle! Otherwise it's hand over hand to haul yourself in! How do I know this? Cause I braked too hard and ended up about 5 feet out from the finish. I think I was the only one to do this, you learn real quick that you don't want to do this. It wasn't hard to pull in though, plus your guide reaches out and tugs you in if needed.

Before I knew it, the 9 zips were over with. Wish we could have done about 4 more. We finished and walked back to the gear hut and took everything off. There is a photographer that accompanies you for part of the trip and takes photos of you. They then sell them to you on a CD, cost depends on how many photos are on it. 6-$20, 12-$40, something like that. You can also take your own cameras. The photos I have on webshots are a mix of the two. The two best ones though are ones they took.

We had to wait about 1/2 hour for our bus to come back and get us. When we got back to the pier we had time to take a taxi to Maugaretiaville and have lunch (I think it was about 1:30) we had no wait, then afterwards we went shopping for an hour, then took a taxi back to the ship by 3:30 (I think)! Unless you take the morning Canopy tour, you probably won't have time to do much else.

If you have any further questions, please let me know....and I hope this helped!

photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisinkayakers

Wear shorts. We didn't notice any bug problems, but another couple in our group did put on bug spray. I would probably go ahead and bring some, we left ours in the cabin by accident.

They do have a place to buy water, pop and beer afterwards. Some small snacks like chips too. We just bought water.

We did bring a backpack with stuff in it, they let you hang it in their gear room while your zipping. You can wear a fanny pack and keep your valuables with you. We did have one lady drop her camcorder in the jungle and the photo guy was nice enough to find it for her. If she had dropped it on the next landing she would have been way out of luck as it was a long way down! Good lesson-keep your personal stuff tight on you and don't be moving it all around each time you come in for a landing.

Thanks for all the great information. I've been trying to find details on this tour and your post was great (and the pictures). My DH really, really wants to do this and I'd like to do it with him, but being a coward...................well, there was some things I wanted to know.

I was glad to read that you were tethered on the platforms, I was afraid I'd just have to be standing up there with no railing or protection. Did I read that right? I am afraid of heights but it looks like sooooo much fun that I think I can take that first step!!!!!! You wrote about steep stairs, are there rails on these? Any, any other info you can give would be great.

I'm sorry to be so needy. I'd really like to do this and I think that if I have all the details I can attempt it. We'd like to reserve this trip by this weekend. I'm ready to step out of my comfort zone (I think).

No railings on the stairs that I remember. They've gone through with some cement like material to try and even out some of the stairs on the trail. There's not alot of them, just a few. And yes, you are tethered up everytime you come in to a platform. It can get a little crowded sometimes on the platforms, but just hug the tree!:) There are no railings on some of the platforms. The guides that are with you are great and reassuring. Go for it, it's a blast!

Just let me know if you have anymore questions....no problem!

Thanks cruisin for the wonderful review!! We have been waiting for someone to go on this tour!! I do have a slight fear of heights but I love roller coasters as long as I know I am going back down!!LOL, anyway, your pictures are awesome and the jungle looks very cool! So in your estimation, is this tour 2 1/2 hours from the time you leave the pier to the time you get back?? It sounds like you were able to do other things afterwards. How was Margaritaville? Was it worth it? Thanks again for the info!

Does anyone know what the age/weight restrictions are for the canopy tour??[/

For Carnival: (from their website)

Notes: Minimum age is 10 years; weight limit is 220 pounds. Sufficient mobility and strength to climb a 20-foot ladder straight up is required. Must fit in the harness and helmet in a safe manner.

Not suitable for pregnant women, persons with heart troubles, seizure disorders, asthma, problems with balance, some disabilities, back, neck or shoulder problems.

[quote=cali-croozerDoes anyone know what the age/weight restrictions are for the canopy tour??

For Carnival: (from their website)

Notes: Minimum age is 10 years; weight limit is 220 pounds.

QUOTE]

Princess has there weight limit as 270? Hubby is about 240....do you think it is a problem?

We did this through Carnival this past December and absolutely loved it. We were worried about the weight limit because my husband was about 235 but we chanced it anyways. He was fine and had a blast. I'm terrified of heights but I wanted to do this with my husband, whom has no fear at all, and would definately do it again. When we were on the platforms I just stayed VERY close to the tree.

We purchased the CD of our photos at the end of the tour and paid $20 for about 20 photos.

I hope this helps....

Thisis the BEST tour ever! We went there last April and loved it. I am terrified of heights however my 12 year old begged me to go. I couldn't let him show me up. So glad I did it. We have another cruise booked April 06 and will do it again. My husband is 230 and had no problem. My 12 year old didn't make it all the way across the long one because he was so light. They had to come down from the other side to get him. He didn't care, thought it was exciting. Anyone with any sense of adventure MUST try this tour. Worth every dollar we paid for it!!!!

You can't book this on your own. It has to be booked through the cruise line or through your hotel if you are staying on the island. We were on Carnival Conquest and booked this ahead online through Carnivals web sight. I believe it was around $89 or $99 each. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes. I'd paid it again and will next time we are in Jamaica.

If you research this topic you'll see that people have tried to get Chukka Adventures to book it directly and they have been told NO.

Does anyone know if you can get this tour in Montego Bay through Princess? I am going on Star Princess april 24th, will be in montego bay April 27th. Even better question, has anyone done this through Princess, how was it? :-)

One other question - please read!

do you have to hold yourself up at all/hang or is it like a ride where you are supported? I can't tolerate a hanging motion where I am being pulled as I had a weirdo surgery. I can walk, run, dance, etc but I cant have my lower half pulling on my upper half if that makes sense.... does this put any strain on your stomach or middle? Thanks VERY much! I am so excited to do this!!

Goddess

You can't book this on your own. It has to be booked through the cruise line or through your hotel if you are staying on the island. We were on Carnival Conquest and booked this ahead online through Carnivals web sight. I believe it was around $89 or $99 each. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes. I'd paid it again and will next time we are in Jamaica.

If you research this topic you'll see that people have tried to get Chukka Adventures to book it directly and they have been told NO.

You booked this ahead through Carnival's website? It appears as an option when I check for Montego Bay excursions on the itinerary webpage but does not show on the "book now" list when I login to shore excursions for my booking?!

The FAQ page says:

"Why are some of the shore excursions I saw while browsing http://www.carnival.com unavailable for me to purchase?

While browsing the site, you are able to view details for all shore excursions within a destination and port regardless of ship or itinerary.*You are only able to purchase shore excursions that are offered for the specific itinerary you have booked.

So this means it is not offered during my cruise week of 6/18 :(

You booked this ahead through Carnival's website? It appears as an option when I check for Montego Bay excursions on the itinerary webpage but does not show on the "book now" list when I login to shore excursions for my booking?!

So this means it is not offered during my cruise week of 6/18 :(

Hey there macnag......don't give up; keep checking. I've been checking the website ever since we got to 180 days out. At first, there were only golf excursions, then a few dive excursions. As far as Jamaica, they just recently added the Martha Brae rafting trip. As we get closer to our cruise, they will be adding more excursions. Besides the canopy tour, there are many more they need to add to Jamaica. And did you notice, they don't have any for New Orleans yet.........it's a work in progress. But, it does make it frustrating trying to plan our trip.

Archived