Housekeeping between sailings

dishealth11

One cruise ends on the same day another begins. How much time between passengers, and can the room really be cleaned thoroughly?

In my experience (hotels only) bedspead is not changed, and if room looks clean it's not really touched by housekeeping.

Is it any different on a cruise?

In nine cruises I have never seen the stewards change over the bedspreads between cruises.

I believe that USA Today had a story about bedspreads in hotels. The standard was to change them every three months; the reality was two times a year.

The story also indicated that the entire Marriott chain (including all brands) was converting to duvets only over the next year.

As far as actually cleaning the rooms, the stewards are amazingly efficient. As we have walked the halls we have seen them working in the rooms. We have only had one steward that was lacking in taking care of our room.

Does anyone else think that is not a good thing?

In nine cruises I have never seen the stewards change over the bedspreads between cruises.

I believe that USA Today had a story about bedspreads in hotels. The standard was to change them every three months; the reality was two times a year.

QUOTE]

Does anyone else think that is not a good thing?

QUOTE]

Just ask them to take OFF the beadspreads and return them after Your cruise. The duvets are fine.

This is in every hotel. They hardly ever change the bedspreads. I don`t sleep with the spread on.

The first thing I do when entering a hotel room is remove the spread(s) from the bed(s). I have a problem with the fact that they almost never get cleaned or changed. And the idea that people come out of the shower and sometimes might sit naked on the bed while getting dressed, etc. Eeeew!

As for the cruise ships - the NCL ships we have been on, in the evening when they turn down your bed for the night they remove the covering and fold them and put them up for the night. (You can also sleep with just a sheet on and make sure the heat is turned up a little bit in your room.)

I've always felt that our rooms have been very clean when we begin the cruise and they keep them clean throughout the cruise. I am a cleanliness freak and I've never had a problem. But, having said that, I don't take along a "blue light" thing to check for germs and yucky things!:eek:

I'm sure you will find your room to be satisfactory.

Hikini:D

I always take the spread off the bed as soon as we get to our cabin. Additionally I ask the steward for an extra top sheet and then I make up our bed with a sheet under the blanket and a sheet on top of the blanket. Every steward we have had has continued to make our bed in the same fashion for the rest of the cruise. Of course I realize this is extra work and always tip extra as I feel it is merited.

I guess I'm just not as sqeamish as some due to some of the places I've slept. One such room was a hole dug in the ground with sand bags around and a tin and sand bag roof. The bed was crates of rocket granades and pillow was a helmet with a shirt wrapped around it. A fleabag hotel would have been five star to me back then.

Of course, I did have lots of privacy since I was known to smoke it bed at that time.

Now, no matter where I go to bed, I wish I could give it to one of those men or women who deserve it more than I. God Bless them.

And this is not to take away from the fact hotels and cruise lines could do better.

The first thing I do when entering a hotel room is remove the spread(s) from the bed(s). I have a problem with the fact that they almost never get cleaned or changed. And the idea that people come out of the shower and sometimes might sit naked on the bed while getting dressed, etc. Eeeew!

As for the cruise ships - the NCL ships we have been on, in the evening when they turn down your bed for the night they remove the covering and fold them and put them up for the night. (You can also sleep with just a sheet on and make sure the heat is turned up a little bit in your room.)

I've always felt that our rooms have been very clean when we begin the cruise and they keep them clean throughout the cruise. I am a cleanliness freak and I've never had a problem. But, having said that, I don't take along a "blue light" thing to check for germs and yucky things!:eek:

I'm sure you will find your room to be satisfactory.

Hikini:D

When they sit naked after the shower, they ate clean:D

You don`t need "just a sheet" there is a nice cumphy "duvet"

I'm sure NCL is no different...

Hundreds Of Bed Bug Bites Sicken Couple On Cruise

Royal Caribbean Apologizes To Couple, Refunds Ticket Money

http://www.local6.com/travelgetaways/4365719/detail.html

HUH???? Are you saying NCL has bed bugs too??? What are bed bugs, anyway:confused:

Scabies? fleas? Perhaps the people brought them ON with them, who knows?

This is the first instance of Bed Bugs that I have ever heard of.

Yes people do bring bed bugs with them, though usually in their luggage. They are small bugs that live off of blood. They hide in dark warm places making places like headboards and mattresses ideal. Unfortunately they are found in many places including 5 star hotels and cruise ships. From what I understand the bites can be miserable although it is my understanding that our reaction to bites vary from person to person. Personally I cannot think of anything creepier than this story although I am sure there are much worse things out there!!!

I am also sure that there are people in the world that would just be happy to have a roof over their heads bugs and all. However I am, thankfully, not one of those people.

Yes people do bring bed bugs with them, though usually in their luggage. They are small bugs that live off of blood. They hide in dark warm places making places like headboards and mattresses ideal. Unfortunately they are found in many places including 5 star hotels and cruise ships. From what I understand the bites can be miserable although it is my understanding that our reaction to bites vary from person to person. Personally I cannot think of anything creepier than this story although I am sure there are much worse things out there!!!

You're right, and it's not necessarily a housekeeping problem. They live quite well in a clean invironment. They just need a host to feed on. I'm sure most people have slept with them somewhere at one time or another without any knowledge of them. They are very fast and don't like light so most are not seen.

Most people don't realize what they sleep with anyway (And I said what, not who, so lets don't go there):D . For instance, our skin is always renewing and we leave a lot of it in our beds. It's so fine it goes right through the sheets and into the mattress. No matter how often you wash the sheets and mattress pad and vacumn the mattress, you can't get it all. Feeding on that is microscoptic mites. Those mites and their cousins are everywhere and good things. They help keep our world clean. But if everyone could see our beds under a microscope, I afraid most would hang themselves on a hook to sleep at night. Truth is, no matter where we sleep and how clean it is, we never sleep alone. But it don't keep me from trying, except for DW that is.

:rolleyes: I prefer to sleep with my own mites, not someone elses

You're right, and it's not necessarily a housekeeping problem. They live quite well in a clean invironment. They just need a host to feed on. I'm sure most people have slept with them somewhere at one time or another without any knowledge of them. They are very fast and don't like light so most are not seen.

Most people don't realize what they sleep with anyway (And I said what, not who, so lets don't go there):D . For instance, our skin is always renewing and we leave a lot of it in our beds. It's so fine it goes right through the sheets and into the mattress. No matter how often you wash the sheets and mattress pad and vacumn the mattress, you can't get it all. Feeding on that is microscoptic mites. Those mites and their cousins are everywhere and good things. They help keep our world clean. But if everyone could see our beds under a microscope, I afraid most would hang themselves on a hook to sleep at night. Truth is, no matter where we sleep and how clean it is, we never sleep alone. But it don't keep me from trying, except for DW that is.

Archived