Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

"The captain of the Costa Concordia may have been correct in his belief that his ship met its fate off the western Italian coast because of a power failure.

CORRECT. HIS ENGINEROOM FLOODED AFTER HITTING A ROCK AND THE WATER CAUSED THE LOSS OF ELECTRIP POWER.

Passengers rescued from the stricken liner reported there had been a power blackout and a large booming noise, which indicated the vessel may have suffered an engine room explosion.

CORRECT. HITTING A ROCK MAKES A LARGE BOOMING NOISE

Last night Malcolm Latarche,

The expert said the harmonic interference – a type of power surge – could have caused a malfunction in the generators feeding the ship’s six diesel electric engines with which the back-up systems could not cope.

This would have caused the ship to lose navigational power and steering control and veer off course, he said.

AND THIS JUST HAPPENED AT THE EXACT MOMENT THE SHIP WAS BETWEEN TWO PINNACLES OF ROCK WHERE SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Asked for his assessment of the incident, Mr Latarche said: ‘I would say power failure caused by harmonic interference and then it can’t propel straight or navigate and it hit rocks.’

He added that once a ship experienced problems with the electrical supply to its main propulsion motors, it could lead to a problem with steering.

Mr Latarche said: ‘It seems that this may have happened quite close to land, in shallow water. When you can’t steer you are going to run aground and hit rocks at some point.’

THE MASTER TOOK THE SHIP CLOSE INSHORE AND ATTEMPTED A RUN BETWEEN TWO ROCKS. HE ORDERED AN ALTERATION OF COURSE TO STARBOARD AND HIS HIS AFTER END SIDESWIPED A ROCK. INSTANT FLOODING, INSTANT LOSS OF POWER.

The Costa Concordia, built in 2005, was designed to standards comparable with ocean liners.

Even though it had a rounded hull compared to the stronger V-shaped hull fitted to the Cunard flagship QM2, experts say it was capable of crossing the rough seas of the Atlantic.

V SHAPED HULL ON QUEEN MARY 2? NONSENSE. HER HULL IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE CONCORDIA'S. PERHAPS A FINER ENTRY AND RUN AND DEFINITELY A LOWER BLOCK COEFFICIENT BUT V SHAPED... NO!

Mr Latarche added: ‘Although the damage caused to the ship was severe, there are many safeguards in the design of a state-of-the-art cruise ship to prevent it turning over.

YES. THIS IS COMPLETELY CORRECT.

‘There is a second hull within the outer hull. Inside the inner hull there is a steel structure like an ice tray to contain the water and prevent it spreading through the ship.

KNOWN AS WATERTIGHT SUBDIVISION.

‘In this case, the Master rightly attempted to return it to the shore, but it seems to have keeled over because it hit shallow water on the coast.

HOW COULD HE ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE. NO POWER TO PROPELLERS OR STEERNING. IT KEELED OVER BECAUSE SHE EITHER FLOODED THROUGHOUT OR SHE LOST AALL REMAINING STAABILITY WHEN SHE TOUCHED BOTTOM... WHERE SHE NOW LIES.

An ocean cruise ship is not designed to float in 20ft of water. It needs much more than that to remain upright.’

SOME CRUISE SHIPS ARE DESIGNED TO FLOAT IN 20 FOOT OF WATER. THE BIGGER ONES REQUIRE DEEPER WATER.

According to Mr Latarche, the fact that the average tonnage of cruise ships has doubled in the past decade makes a full-scale evacuation while at sea almost impossible.

BUT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY DID... 4000 PEOPLE EVACUATED. GRANTED THE CONDITIONS WERE PRACTICALLY PERFECT.

Under regulations introduced by the International Maritime Organisation in 2010, the very latest ships are now designed to be able to return to port even in the event of a major fire or loss of power on board, in order to make evacuation unnecessary.

AND PIGS MIGHT FLY.

The Concordia was commissioned five years prior to the new rules but Mr Latarche said: ‘Even if the most sophisticated ship in the world went into shallow water, the likelihood is it would turn on its side.

SIMPLY NOT TRUE.

This was a unique situation in which a number of circumstances all came together.’

SOD'S LAW

The route was from Rome - they ventured far too close Gigilia (out of as yet unknown reasons) - actually straight on - and realized the uncomfortable situation! Whoever was at the helmet made totally two subsequent catastrophic decisions.

Tried to quickly steer off at first, with the result that the rear of Costa Concordia smacked in to the rocks. At this stage it would have been better to run aground. The ship would then have been standing up!

Next move - was to make a sudden rudder-change to got to port and with the shifting in ballast - so....

Rest assured, no matter the outcome, he has lost his license. Most of us in the industry carry a Lloyds policy on our lost earnings due to losing our license for any reason.

In my entire life I have never heard of any officer taking out an insurance policy on his license. And if you were found guilty of negligence why would Lloyds pay you anything?

Really? With a 14 hour transit and 195 nautical miles to cover she'd only need

to average 14 knots - so going at ±15 to allow for manoeuvring either end does not strike me as 'far slower than she would normally'.

You could be right, but she shouldn't have been that close to the island so I think they were intentionally heading there. I do recall speaking to the captain on the Bridge of Jewel of the seas last year and he did tell us that she was cerified to sail on Electronic charts only but they still used paper as a backup which was company policy for RCCL. I am guessing that this would be standard on the carnival fleet as well but is it possible that the the electronic charts went wrong?

Finally heard something on CNN this morning that made me chuckle. A woman was describing watching a magic show with her husband when their chairs seemed to be tilting. She said the funny thing was then *the magician disappeared*..lol. She seemed to have a good attitude :D

Well - the crew were not very focused. The ship sailed way too close to Gigilio. Whoever was at the wheel discovered this and made a desperate starboard turn. (Otherwise you do not just happen to damage your stirn!) And - definitely do not get a rock stuck up your rear, which in this case caused the ultimate inconvenience...

Eventually they obviously realized the precarious situation and wanted to safely evacuate the passengers, save "them-selves" or just strand the thing. In any case a very rough or sudden alteration to steer to port made the tall ship tilt and with the previous loss of ballast - the whole thing just tumbled over. Nothing strange actually happened - except for the facts, if in due time will be common knowledge - presumably never disclosed.... There are powerful people with more money than I made out of fishing.....

Regard from a former trawler-captain

A trawler captain who can't spell "stern" gets a rock stuck up their "rear" (even though it's midships starboard). Remind me not to get on your boat!

And for some of us, the endless "My prayers are with them" adds zero to the discussion and have become tiresome. If you want to pray for someone, do it in the privacy of your home. No need to tell the whole world about it.

You know Sloopsailor, I am sad that you feel the need to say such an awful thing. Whether YOU pray or not, many do. And it is something that is done with respect and thought. And ultimately care and concern for others. All of which you could consider next time you take to writing something like this.

I am praying for these people too, including the Captain, should he have made some sort of error, he will be eternally remorseful.

In my entire life I have never heard of any officer taking out an insurance policy on his license. And if you were found guilty of negligence why would Lloyds pay you anything?

Yes Deckofficer, you have managed "it appears" to have got some people excited with your remarks but can you enlighten me what part of the Marine Insurance Act of 1906 Lloyds covers you for wages in such an event?

I hate to ask this question with rescue efforts still underway, but I will anyway... what happens to the ship now??? What happens to Costa and Carnival Corp?

Don't know about the ship or Costa but I expect Carnival Corp's share price is in for a beating come opening bell Monday.

[This is not investment advice.]

I'm really shocked at this accident and I feel for the all the people involved. I have visited Civitacecchia quite a few times on cruise ships and I understand that they should have been on the other side of Giglio in deeper waters.

I have also ben on the bridge of Voyager of The Seas more than once and Brilliance of the Seas and the amount of technology on the bridge makes one wonder how it could happen.

I am also going on NCL Jade in two weeks !!!

Interview on Sky News with the captain about 20 minutes ago. Rough transcription of the English translation provided by Sky:

"While we were moving there was a lateral rock projection. Even though we were moving along the coast with the tourist navigation system, I firmly believe that the rocks were not detected that the ship was not heading forward but sideways, as if, underwater, there was this rock projection. I don't know if it was detected or not, but on the nautical charts it was marked just as water at some 100-150 meters from the rocks, and we were about 300m from the shore more or less."

-----------

Edit:

By the way, the man looked in a complete state of shock and was rambling a bit - I think the "black box" and any voice recorders will give a better indication.

-----------

For people saying that the captain should have stayed, I'm not certain I agree. If there were a bunch of people who were in no immediate danger being airlifted off, would it have made sense for him to make his way to them and add to the helicopter burden, rather than just accept assurances from whoever was on the scene that it was being dealt with?

HEH. This is starting to get ridiculous. Was El Capitan seen with a big white canvas bag with a giant $ or E sign on it?

My sarcasm obviously wasn't showing through - that's what I was referring to about a big bag of cash marked "Swag". I felt it was a ridiculous original statement :)

You could be right, but she shouldn't have been that close to the island so I think they were intentionally heading there. I do recall speaking to the captain on the Bridge of Jewel of the seas last year and he did tell us that she was cerified to sail on Electronic charts only but they still used paper as a backup which was company policy for RCCL. I am guessing that this would be standard on the carnival fleet as well but is it possible that the the electronic charts went wrong?

I am an Associate Fellow of the Nautical Institute. In a recent discussion within the Institute it was suggested that while it is an IMO requirement that all vessels carry a backup to their electronic charts, paper charts are not the most sensible soloution.... Some feel that it is best to have a secondary electronic system. I certainly hope not!

Don't know about the ship or Costa but I expect Carnival Corp's share price is in for a beating come opening bell Monday.

[This is not investment advice.]

There may be a short term sentimental (over) reaction, but the loss of one (insured) ship out of over 100 is unlikely to lead to a long term impact on the business - unless it impacted sales on other lines in the Carnival group - but my bet would be that any impact, if any, will be short term.

Costa will continue - will probably be the safest line afloat for a few years - and once search and rescue then recovery operations, and environmental control are complete the loss adjusters will look over the ship and take it from there....unless there is significant damage to the starboard (underwater) side of the ship, my bet would be that she will be repaired and returned to service.....but time will tell....

I know the ship is a sister class to the conquest - my grandfather went two weeks before us and they actually had to get in the lifeboats because of a random emergency drill in addition to the muster. I'll have to ask tomorrow where theirs were loaded. From what I could tell, you could walk right on the same deck there they were housed (ours was deck 4 - Atlantic - as seen here http://www.cruisecritic.com/carnival-conquest-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=262&deck=4 ) ... but again I didn't actually go through the drill - I'd have to ask them.

EDIT: Actually, as you can see from this picture I took of our ship, you can actually see where the gates would open so that you could walk right on. Again, this is a sister class but is slightly different from the Concordia - may be different on there.

394133_3036019666293_1437009439_3154448_1192236950_n.jpg

Here's a picture of the Splendor (sister ship) that shows the lifeboat design...you can see the open Promenade deck, and the lifeboat deck is just above it. That deck is only open to passengers during Muster Drill.

2829178190064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

-----------

For people saying that the captain should have stayed, I'm not certain I agree. If there were a bunch of people who were in no immediate danger being airlifted off, would it have made sense for him to make his way to them and add to the helicopter burden, rather than just accept assurances from whoever was on the scene that it was being dealt with?

quote]

I agree completely. Give the Captain some credit for doing the right thing. It would have served no purpose to remain on board that had been effectively exacuated and was likely to capsize at any moment.

eh.... i don't agree with that, I'm not about to form a lynch-mob against or anything but i believe that the captain of the ship/plane is ultimately responsible for his/her passengers, there for he/she should make sure everybody got off the ship/plane safely before they themselves evacuate. However, i know if it was me, i'd panic and run around in circle screaming 'we're all gonna die!' or curl up in fetal position and cry, and that's why i'm not a captain of anything (though i'm a fierce dictator at home :D)

Archived