Nola questions. Help!

wild hogs

We will be in Nola for a couple of days prior to going on the cruise. I was wondering if someone could give me a little information on parking near or around the FQ to explore? We will be staying outside of Nola so we would be driving into the city. Is there any free parking? Are there lots that you park with a meter or what is it? We might try Mothers and was wondering if there is parking there and if it is free or not? We are not sure what to expect. Also, if we park at the port of Nola, when we leave what is the fastest way to get out of the parking and head toward West I-10? it looks like the streets around the pier are one way but I am not sure. We will be there in 9 weeks so I am trying to get as much information as I can. Thanks in advance.

Parking meters are enforced every day except Sunday. There are parking lots on Poydras near Mother's, with daily and hourly rates. Finding a spot on Saturday or Sunday shouldn't be a problem.

Parking in the French Quarter is harder to find and more expensive. The French Quarter is about six blocks from Poydras, a fairly easy walk.

When you leave the terminal parking lot, follow the traffic (one-way) to Convention Center Bouldvard. Take a right on CCB and follow it, going left on Poydras Street. Stay in the left lane. After about 15 blocks you will enter the upramp to I-10. Stay in one of the two left lanes and you will be on I-10 West.

Parking meters are enforced every day except Sunday. There are parking lots on Poydras near Mother's, with daily and hourly rates. Finding a spot on Saturday or Sunday shouldn't be a problem.

Parking in the French Quarter is harder to find and more expensive. The French Quarter is about six blocks from Poydras, a fairly easy walk.

When you leave the terminal parking lot, follow the traffic (one-way) to Convention Center Bouldvard. Take a right on CCB and follow it, going left on Poydras Street. Stay in the left lane. After about 15 blocks you will enter the upramp to I-10. Stay in one of the two left lanes and you will be on I-10 West.

Thanks for the information. That is what we figures would be the route off from the port but thanks for reassuring me.

Can you give me a little information on the street cars. i heard that they are great to see a view of the city. There are 3 different strret cars to choose. I was thinking of the st. Charles one. Do you know where we can get on near Mothers? If we get on the street car, it is $1.25 one way. So does it start at one point and start again. Just wanting to find a place to park the car without paying a bunch and ride through town. Which one would you suggest?

The scenic route is the St. Charles streetcar. There is a map here:

http://www.norta.com

Not much detail and the times are just approximate, but you will get the idea.

There is a stop on Caroldelet close to Poydras going towards Canal Street. The streetcar will probably be crowded, but when it gets to Canal most of the people will get off, and you will have your choice of seats. It will then go down Canal and out St. Charles. At the end of St. Charles it will turn right onto Carrollton. You can get off there, as there isn't a whole lot to see on Carrollton. You wil have to pay another $1.25 to get back downtown, but it's a nice ride and you will see a lot of the city for the money.

The Canal Street streetcar goes out to the suburbs, and you won't need to use that one.

The Riverfront streetcar (naturally) runs along the river, but it doesn't go very far and you would just as soon walk along the river.

The scenic route is the St. Charles streetcar. There is a map here:

www.norta.com

Not much detail and the times are just approximate, but you will get the idea.

There is a stop on Caroldelet close to Poydras going towards Canal Street. The streetcar will probably be crowded, but when it gets to Canal most of the people will get off, and you will have your choice of seats. It will then go down Canal and out St. Charles. At the end of St. Charles it will turn right onto Carrollton. You can get off there, as there isn't a whole lot to see on Carrollton. You wil have to pay another $1.25 to get back downtown, but it's a nice ride and you will see a lot of the city for the money.

The Canal Street streetcar goes out to the suburbs, and you won't need to use that one.

The Riverfront streetcar (naturally) runs along the river, but it doesn't go very far and you would just as soon walk along the river.

Thanks for all of the information. I was wondering if you knew if there would be any problems to ride the street car on St. Patricks day because of parades and parties? That is the day that we will be there. I am not sure that we will go to Mothers because I heard that you might have to wait awhile. Can you suggest something else that has poboys that is good and not too expensive? So when you get off of the street car, how long would you have to wait until the next one comes to take you back?

The big St.Pat's parades are in the suburbs, and won't cause you any problems. There is one in the French Quarter on Saturday night, but it is nowhere near as big as the Mardi Gras parades.

Mother's usually has a line, but it moves fairly quickly. Grand Isle at 575 Convention Center Blvd. in the Warehouse District makes excellent sandwiches. In the French Quarter, Johnny's (511 St. Louis) and Felix's (739 Iberville) are also good. A place that few people know about is the restaurant at House Of Blues on Decatur. Good food, good happy hour prices and you can often find a discount certificate on Ebay.

Streetcar service on the weekends is a little slow, but you shouldn't have to wait more than 15 minutes or so.

Archived