Mexican rivera cell phone coverage?

jbsprout

Has anyone experieced using their cell phone on a Mexican Rivera cruise using the Cingular network? My husband & I want to touch base with our kids while we are away. We plan to email, but a phone call every day or so would be great. We don't want to pay the $9 a minute ship rate.

We travel to Mazatlan every year for a week in November. We have Cingular and have used our cell phones with no problems :) We always call Cingular to have the roaming capabilities updated etc. You should give Cingular a call to ensure your phone is updated and OK to use internationally

Thanks SO much this has really been very helpful. I did call Cingular & had them add International Calling to my plan for $4 more a month. They said I could drop it after a month if I didn't need it anymore. Without the International Calling it would cost $1.60 per minute. With the International Calling plan it's $1.00 a minute. I figured that we would probably talk 10-15 minutes on each call, so it might save us enough for a cab ride!! Thanks again on the coverage report!!

I was able to reach my parents on thier Verizon Wireless phone today at sea!! They are on the Carnival Pride and said they were able to see shore so they may have been close to a cell tower. I spoke to them twice for about 10 min each and both calls were clear.

I was able to reach my parents on thier Verizon Wireless phone today at sea!! They are on the Carnival Pride and said they were able to see shore so they may have been close to a cell tower. I spoke to them twice for about 10 min each and both calls were clear.

Thanks for your post. I was wondering about Verizon:confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am pleased you have already got some joy with with your network, one option I arranged for my folks was renting the handset, they took a thuraya satellite phone rental from www.cellhire.com which gives both gsm coverage when in the ports and when further out at sea it has satellite mode. Well worth a try as a low cost short term option.

Archived