Halong Bay, Vietnam: Ship's position

klyd

Hi folks,

where is the ship's tender position when visiting Halong Bay and where are the tender boats going to? Costa Classica is currently at

20°57'0'' N

107°3'40'' E

(Copy / paste it into Google Earth / Maps)

Where do the tender boats drop off the passengers? How far is it to the place where one can rent a boat for a 4-6 hours cruise?

Regards

klyd

Put those co-ordinates into googlemaps.

They show the position just off-shore, pretty-well where I'd have expected.

On-shore hopefully your screen, like mine, has a red pointer "A".

To the left of that pointer, behind what appears to be a sandbar, if you zoom in you will see "Emeraude Cruises". Switch to satellite & you'll see a long jetty in front of "Emeraude Cruises".

This is where the tenders drop you. Tenders are likely to be chartered junks rather than ship's own craft, & operating from a pontoon moored to the ship.

I've no idea whether googlemaps has correctly plotted Emeraude Cruises, they are pretty useless at such things, but that is the location of your pier.

There are junk moorings a very short taxi ride to the left and right.

But there will be touts at your pier - you don't need to look for them, they'll approach you ;).

Don't try to by-pass the touts, their prices are cheap, you'll not know where to find the junks, the junk captains speak little or no english, they are at ease dealing through the touts, & in any case most junks will be out cruising when you arrive.

You should be able to negotiate a standard junk for around $90 for 4 hours or $120 for 6 hours. That's for the junk, not per person, but doesn't include food or drink.

Ideal numbers are about 8 to 12, that's about the max you can comfortably get on the roof. You can fix up with others on the ship, or milling around on the pier, much the same as for van tours.

Confirm that transport (their own car & a taxi or two) from pier to junk & return is included in the price. The tout will write you out a ticket with the price - I'm guessing that his copy helps him remember what prices he's agreed with who :rolleyes:

Pay nothing up-front, the tout will meet you next morning at your pier & take you to the junk, he'll re-appear at the shore when your junk brings you back, pay him then in USD.

We tipped the crew, but not the tout.

The junks don't sail in the dark, if your ship arrives pm there will not be enough time for a worthwhile cruise that day, but you can negotiate a junk for the next morning.

At that time you can book food if you wish, the junks carry beers & sodas anyway at a dollar or two a time.

They may also offer trinkets, probably not worthwhile, but silly-cheap.

So bring some low-denomination notes.

On a 6-hour (don't know about a 4-hour) you'll stop at a floating fishing village - fish swimming about in cages under the platform. You can choose one & the junk crew will cook it for you - neat, but expensive. The only expensive thing I saw in Vietnam.

There's nothing much to see in walking distance of your pier, and very little in Ha Long City. Other than booking a junk, your afternoon nay be a bit of a waste.

2-hour cruises only go to the edge of the karsts (limestone islets), longer cruises sail amongst them - suddenly everything is still, silent & deserted, and the mists add to that eerieness.

One of the highlights of our cruise.

Be on deck for the sail-in & you'll get a taster

JB :)

John,

thank you very much for that comprehensive and interesting documentation!

We'll arrive at 9am at Halong Bay and leave at noon the following day.

Do you think we are early enough to do a half-day boat ride at the first day? I guess it won't work the second day.

Regards

klyd

John,

thank you very much for that comprehensive and interesting documentation!

We'll arrive at 9am at Halong Bay and leave at noon the following day.

Do you think we are early enough to do a half-day boat ride at the first day? I guess it won't work the second day.

Regards

klyd

Ahhh - your timings are about-face compared to ours.

Clearly its not going to happen on Day 2, but yes, you can comfortably fit in a 4 hour, probably a 6 hour, cruise on day 1.

You''ll presumably go ashore, negotiate a price, & be taken direct to a junk.

Because of the pontoon, which handles several boats at a time, there should be nothing like the usual delay in getting a tender.

But I'll defer to anything different posted by anyone on the same timings as yourself

JB :)

Archived