How do you stay in touch?

PhillyPhanatics

We're getting ready to set sail on our second Carnival cruise in April, but taking with us 4 Carnival/cruising newbies. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best ways we can stay in touch while on the ship? Do those little walkie-talkies really work? I know we'll have room phones, but wasn't sure how others get in touch without using your cell phones while at sea.

Thanks!

I've seen some people put small whiteboards on their doors or use sticky notes on doors or in cabins to communicate.

My understanding is that those walkie talkies don't work too well.

I am surprised Carnival doesn't come up with some type of texting devices you can rent while on board to communicate with each other.

Walkie talkies are a real pain in the butt. Not only to use them but for the people around you.

Its like people on cell phones who have to shout into them-- yo! what ya at???

And if you can find a good sub station to use with out all the other people using it-- all those kids shouting for MOOOoooommmm. and all those MOOOOMMMMMmsss saying what??? or yeah??

(leave them home)

Use the telephone voice mail to leave messages.

Use the fun times and discuss where you will be when. use highlighters and list what each person is doing--

the ship is large-- but not large enough to get lost.

Cheap walkietalkies DO NOT WORK.

Good ones work most of the time.

That being said... If you do use them be considerate of others. Nobody wants to hear a bunch of people shouting into radios. When I use one I leave it on vibrate and hold it up to my ear when I talk.

We just talk about the next day's plans the night before. We name a time to meet for breakfast at a table in a general area or some other meeting place and go from there. If someone can't be located or plans change -the phone with a message or a post it on door works well. It's not as daunting to keep track of each other as you would think. Personally, I wouldn't mess with the radios.

I think the OP asked a really great question! Now why all you grumps cannot just answer nicely is beyond me. You are as annoying as someone shouting on their cell phone and we still don't have an answer to the question. Sheesh.

Last time we cruised, we did with a group. Only met at dinner and exchanged the events of the day. Even if I'm with a group, I don't want to feel chained to other people. The joy of a cruise is a variety of activities to suit every taste. I wouldn't worry too much about others if you have at least one meeting time a day.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I'm not overly concerned about getting separated or never seeing the rest of the group. Seeing as there's six of us, not all being couples, I figured some will go off and do there own things, and wasn't sure if there was another technology or technique of staying in touch that we just hadn't thought of.

We used our walkie talkies when our DS was younger; probably up until he was about 11 then we just set times and places to meet ahead of time (such as, be back in the room at 6p to get ready for dinner or meet us at noon for lunch in the MDR, that sort of thing). Now that he's older (16) we just meet at dinner and are happy when we bump into him during our travels around the ship. We've also left messages via the room phone and through notes in the room. It's always worked out fine. I admit it was a hassle having to carry around the bulky walkie talkie when he was younger, but we were glad to have them as it was nice to know where he was and decreased my mom anxiety.:)

We use the walkie talkies, have been cruising with our best friends for 5 years now. One in their room and the other in ours, even though we have adjacent balcony staterooms. They sleep in and we are early risers. We don't really use them aboard ship to much but when we are in port we are usually on shore before them so it makes it easier for them to locate us.

Archived