Pedro St. James

englit

Does anyone know anything about this National Park? Coud you let me know if you've been there? How far is it from Georgetown? What did it cost to get there? I know it costs $8 per adult to get in and a I got their hours from their website, but there was no map to help locate it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Pedro St. James is roughly 10-12 miles from Georgetown, just follow South Sound Road and it's clearly marked. It's between Savannah and Bodden Town. The last time we were there was before Ivan, so I'm not sure what's changed, if anything. They have done a great job restoring the buildings and it's great to learn the Cayman history. The multi-media presentation is quite good (but don't expect a Disney-like presentation). The views of the sea are spectacular and the early days are Cayman's struggles and lifestyles become real.

As far as getting there...I'm not sure what a cab would cost since we usually have a rental car. It's a little out of the way but a pleasant drive and just gawking at the mansions along the way is quite fun! If you rent a car, to make a full day out of it, you could go to Pedro St. James and then to the Botanical Gardens or go with Silver Thatch Tours for a hike on Cayman's "mountain" and see the more unexplored part of the Island. This would not be a day at the beach, however, if that's what you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

I have to agree with tlandon on this one. We stayed in the Caymans for a week and explored the whole island, fortunately we snuck in with a cruise tour (Pedro St James) and didnt have to pay for it........lol. It is kind of interesting, but not the highlight of a day in the Caymans , unless, of course you're there for a week. If your really into the historical thing, then you could do the Pedro St james, maybe hit Bodden Caves (kinda cheesy), the blow holes (maybe the coconut man is still open across the street), up the center of the island to the Botanical Garden, then over to Rum Point. We stayed there over five years ago and was only there for a day, two years ago so I dont know how storms may have changed things. Last time we hit our private beach, Smith Cove, snorkeled and were back on the boat (short stop)

Have Fun, Rick

Pedro St James is currently closed for repairs- at least the house is. The gift shop is still open, but we don't know if the spectacular AV presentation is functional. It is not an all-day stop, but like hlandon suggests, it is easy to find by car, or you can combine it with a tour to the Botanic Park. Don't know how much a taxi will charge to get there but it will probably be expensive. You could also try Silver Thatch eco tours to get there. You can find a link on www.caymanislands.ky

Archived