splendor vs concordia vs the media

H82seaUgo

odd how after the splendor fire, the media were clammoring at dockside ready to pounce on the passengers to get the true horror story.

and they came away with nothing. there were no horror stories.

yet with concordia, they have been unable or unwilling to find a passenger to corroberate anything regarding the crew assisting the evacuation.

yet the fact remains that somehow 4000 passengers got off the ship in 2 hours.

My husband said that same thing!! However, there are lots of videos and pictures on the web that show crew members helping. I think when people say "Crew" they mean like captains members, guest services, etc. The crew that tried there best could not have been those people.

Perhaps the difference is that on the Splendor, people were badly inconvienced but not in danger of losing their lives. On the Concordia, people who had just risked death were being interviewed. Seems that the focus of "interest" was rather different.

I am sure that there will be plenty of followup- in fact today there are stories out about the junior officers who acted without the captain's orders (technically a mutiny?) who launched the lifeboats.

For the Splendor, there was a lot of press at the pier in San Diego trying desperately to get the "Horror stories" but the passengers weren't cooperating. I remember one shot with the audio picking up a passenger call the press a bunch of vultures.

On this mornings Today show they had a mother and daughter on that were passengers. They talked about the mass confusion and being told to just go back to thier room. They also said the crew didnt know what was going on for a long time and wouldnt let anybody board the life boats until the abandon ship call came over the speaker. This makes sense to me that they wouldnt let anybody on the life boats until the call comes....but they felt that call came too late.

On this mornings Today show they had a mother and daughter on that were passengers. They talked about the mass confusion and being told to just go back to thier room. They also said the crew didnt know what was going on for a long time and wouldnt let anybody board the life boats until the abandon ship call came over the speaker. This makes sense to me that they wouldnt let anybody on the life boats until the call comes....but they felt that call came too late.

she didn't know what she was talking about either. she stated muster drills are required to happen before sailing. she was spouting all her rccl knowledge.

You are watching the wrong media. Splendor happened on a US cruise and most pax spoke English. This time it happen on Italian cruise and most people are Italian. Most US media reporters don't have a clue how to talk to them.

If you have access to European TV such as BBC, French and Italian channels, you will see they have been talking about nothing else for the past few days. Interviews with passengers, victims families, local residence have been one after another.

There were very few native English speakers on this cruise, perhaps that's one reason why there are fewer interviews compared to the Splendor fire. I bet Italian Tv is running salacious stuff 24/7.

well, we certainly already saw the captain interviewed with translation.

I don't quite get it. We complain about the interviews and about the fact that there aren't enough of them. About not enough information from the press and that the press is mishandling the entire thing.

As far as the press is concerned- except for the posting on the Costa board from one survivor, where else are you expecting to get your information? Do they get everything right? No. But short of going and finding the crew and passengers to interview yourself- where else are you going to learn about this?

Yahoo just posted the supposed transcript of the coast guard and the captain. The coast guard was DEMANDING the captain get back on ship to oversee the evacuation and the captain was doing everything he could to keep from getting back on. If this transcript is authentic it is very sad that this man ever was in charge of a cruise ship. Makes him out to be a HUGE coward.

Archived