Carnival Excursion -- The Big 3 -- Key West

BigZfan

My husband and I are interested in booking the Carnival excursion "The Big 3" for our time in Key West. But before we do we would like to hear some feedback from people that have been on this excursion. I did a search and there are a few reviews on it from a few years ago, and they are either from people that loved it or hated it. I'm just looking for some more input and hopefully some more current reviews.

Here is what the Carnival web-site says about this 4 hour excursion:

Experience three of the most popular activities in the Florida Keys, rolled into one amazing excursion.

On this excursion you will:

• Board a boat for the first leg of “The Big 3”, a cruise along the wildlife sanctuary off Key West.
  • Explore this area scattered with uninhabited islands and home to a variety of marine and bird life.
  • Next, get in your kayak and paddle through the mangroves while you glide over the crystal clear waters.
  • Then, don your snorkel equipment and jump into the ocean. Discover the coral and fish that inhabit the waters of the Florida Keys.
  • Get back on the boat and cruise by a special area known by locals as “the Dolphin Playground”.
  • Observe the dolphins in their natural environment, no cages or pools here.
  • Enjoy a true Florida Keys experience!

My husband and I are interested in booking the Carnival excursion "The Big 3" for our time in Key West. But before we do we would like to hear some feedback from people that have been on this excursion. I did a search and there are a few reviews on it from a few years ago, and they are either from people that loved it or hated it. I'm just looking for some more input and hopefully some more current reviews.

Here is what the Carnival web-site says about this 4 hour excursion:

Experience three of the most popular activities in the Florida Keys, rolled into one amazing excursion.

On this excursion you will:

• Board a boat for the first leg of “The Big 3”, a cruise along the wildlife sanctuary off Key West.
  • Explore this area scattered with uninhabited islands and home to a variety of marine and bird life.
  • Next, get in your kayak and paddle through the mangroves while you glide over the crystal clear waters.
  • Then, don your snorkel equipment and jump into the ocean. Discover the coral and fish that inhabit the waters of the Florida Keys.
  • Get back on the boat and cruise by a special area known by locals as “the Dolphin Playground”.
  • Observe the dolphins in their natural environment, no cages or pools here.
  • Enjoy a true Florida Keys experience!

Based on the reviews this is probably Fury's big catamaran. If so, 4 hours is not a lot of time for the things listed. If they really take this boat into the Sanctuary it will take about 1/2 hour to get there (the Santuary is closer than the reef) and it will take at least 1/2 hour to get everyone into the water, leaving maybe 1/2 hour to snorkel and get back. Then there's the time it will take to explain about kayaking, get the people into the kayaks, then paddle to and around whichever mangrove island you will be at. Then they have to get everyone back on the boat and head back to Key West, going out of the way to hit the dolphin playground and cruise around for a while hoping to find a few doplphins. The web page says that reservatins are limited so I wonder how many people they normally take?

To put it into perspective, Danger Charters does a 10:00 (departure) - 4:00 or a little later trip which goes out to the sanctuary and does a kayak stop at one of the mangrove islands, prepares lunch, then does a snorkel stop at, say, Cottrell Key. (Or vice-versa based on conditions) Then on the way back they put out chips & dips. This all in 6 hours, which is a very casual trip and which is limited to 20 people. The boat they use will be a little slower than Fury's big cat, but the limitation of 20 people makes a big difference, especially getting only 10 kayaks into the water and then out again.

What does this cost? Danger's all-day stip is about $100.00 and their 1/2 day is about $75.00. the 1/2 day doesn't include lunch.

hth

Pjk

Archived