Questions that need to be answered

I'll be traveling on my 1st cruise in May. I'll be traveling with my 2yr toddler. I was wondering what kind of activites does RCCL have to offer for a 2yr? What about the pool? Can my son swim in the pool? He has swimmers, and no he's not potty trained. He loves the water, While we're at sea I would like to take him to the pool. I had read a thread a few months back that a woman had brought a small pool for her child.. How did she fill the pool and where did she let the water out? I'm willing to bring the pool and to share it with others while on board.

~~Changing Subject~~

I had Called RCCL today, spoke with a Customer Service Rep about traveling with my little boy. All I was told was to bring his Birth certificate.

... perhaps you are a new cruiser, perhaps you really have just found this website and are asking questions ... I feel compelled to mention to you that the "swim diapers in the pool" issue is one we here consider to be a touchy subject ... and I must warn you of the tone of the posts that are about to come your way! :D

Often we get posters here who post a few times, make trouble, and then go away. We call them trolls. I hope you are not a troll.

To simply answer your question, no swim diapers are allowed in the pools. I would think if your toddler isn't potty trained, then no, he couldn't use the pools. Its a health issue. Others will explain it more eloquently.

I understand what you're saying about a blow-up pool. I am not sure where you'd put it. The cabin balconies are quite small. I'm not sure where you'd empty the pool.

Good luck on getting these questions answered. Congrats on picking a hot topic to be one of your firsts. :)

Unless I missed it, OP didn't say which RCCL ship she was on. Not all have a pool for kids. I am not sure of the rules for the Adventure Ocean (kids area) pool. As far as I know, only the Voyager class have Adventure Ocean pools.

Hi Perfect Angel,

I also travel with small children, and spend a lot of times of the boards as well, not always posting, but reading as well (not sure if that qualifies me as a troll).

And, yes threads regarding children and cruising are hot and tend to get ugly fast. But, if you switch over to the speciality section entitled "family cruising" you will find a much more supportive group to help you with your questions and a lot of very useful suggestions on how to make your cruise enjoyable for you and your child.

There are tons of threads addressing various issues in traveling with toddlers.

Please don't be discouraged, our first cruise was with our daughter who was 18 mos at the time, today she is 8 and on her 4th cruise, plus countless land based vacations. We also have a 5 year old who first cruised at 2 as well. Granted it is a different vacation traveling with children that without, but I wouldn't trade the time we spend as a family or the memories we have made for anything!

Enjoy your cruise and take a peak at the posts under "family cruising", you'll feel an immediate kinship!

The Radiance has an Adventure Ocean Pool with a terrific water slide :D My 8 year old DD loved it.

I am not sure what the rules are pertaining to non-potty trained toddlers in the kiddie pool.....Personally, I did not see any real "little" kids in the pool so I can't comment.

Perhaps you should contact RCI directly and inquire as to their rules around "swim diapers" in the kiddie pool?

Non-potty trained toddlers in the pool is one of a few hot kid related topics around these parts :rolleyes: But I WILL say this: Those "swim diapers" are really not that different from a regular diaper.....and there could be leakage if the toddler "makes" in the pool.....wouldn't really be all that fair ( or healthy) for the other kids......JMHO.

I believe ALL the pools, and the Adventure Ocean programs, require complete toilet training. No swim diapers or pullups in either place. (Not making a value judgement, just the policy) This includes the 'baby pool' areas.

I think the idea of the blowup pool is to put in your shower area. This way you can bathe the little darling instead of showering him or her. And the child can splash about in it. I don't think you can drag an inflatable pool out on deck (or blow it up and use it once there). Once you see how busy those areas are, you'll understand why - you don't want the little nipper to get trod upon!

That being said, there are probably 1,000 things on the ship that will interest your toddler. And he or she can swim in the ocean, while in port. As far as I know, no one is monitoring the ocean for swim diapers! ;)

Just so everyone understands - RCI has changed the wording on their signs re diapers in the pool. Instead of reading no CHILDREN in diapers in the pools, they have changed the wording to read no GUESTS in diapers in the pools. Guess they had some older folks in Depends, so they had to make sure they were not allowed in the pools, either :)

It's correct that RCI has quite specific rules about no diapers or swimmies in any of the pools, kid area or not. Period. Pax often disregard this and there have been confrontations, but it is an issue of health and safety. Please respect that. (And yes, I think the rule should apply to all pax who need to use "diapers" or "adult protection" products.)

Regarding the blow up pool, you may be referring to the posters who brought one to have in the kid's area on deck. There are very disparate thoughts on this. I think it's a bad idea for several reasons. First, if 40 kids under 3 or not trained are onboard and all 40 sets of parents bring a pool, exactly where does anyone think there will be room to set them up safely on deck? Is the RCI staff expected to oversee them? Second, if you bring one, fill it, allow other kids to play in it, and one of them gets hurt, get ready for a lawsuit. I'm surprised RCI doesn't have a specific rule against this because they could also be found negligent. Third, filling and draining could be an issue. I'm not sure where you would drain it. I've heard there are "channels" that water can drain into, but I don't know.

I can understand your youngster wanting to be in the pool, but it's against the rules for a reason. It's hard for a 2-year old to understand why, but it's never to early to learn that we don't always get everything we want. A few parents have written that their toddler's vacation will essentially be "ruined" if they can't be in the pool. I assume that is not what you are saying. If it is (and I know this is too late), then my advice is what I've always said: choose another cruise line or type of vacation until your child is old enough to use the pools according to the RCI rules. I know this might sound harsh, and I am NOT saying don't cruise with your toddler, not in the least; in fact, you will no doubt have a great time and enjoy your time together. I am saying that if using the onboard pools is a deal breaker, then you need to address it ahead of time so your 2-year old knows that he will have to wait until he's potty trained. I have heard of parents using a cruise as "incentive" to get their toddler trained because then a "big" boy or girl can swim in the pools.

Now as for bringing a blow up pool for your little one to have on your own balcony, I can't see anything wrong with that as long as you drain it into the shower/tub in your cabin. I've heard many people report that this worked well for them until their little one was old enough (and trained) to use the regular pools.

As for activities, I know children under 3 aren't allowed in Adventure Ocean, but I know RCI is phasing in a toddler program. Check the Family board; I'm sure they will have details. In any case, there are still many, many things for you to do with your child (even just walking on the deck looking at the ocean--that's cool even for grown ups).

I'm sure you will find many interesting things to do both at sea and onshore.

Have a terrific time.

beachchick

RCI explains the Adventure Ocean program in detail on their web site.......they now offer activities to the under 3 age group but they require parental participation (you can't just drop them off).........state that only children who are potty trained and diaper and pull up free are allowed in the pools and whirlpools.......and that they do offer babysitting in your cabin for children over the age of 1 with 24hr advance notice......

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/familycruising/home.do;jsessionid=0000HBmw_bUtQFpkkNzkF8Eggcg:v2mocbr0?cS=NAVBAR

not sure why the rules aren't always enforced..........I would just go with the mentality that it is a policy and respect that......

I can't figure out how the kiddie pools would work on a ship........I know we had one years ago for our DD and even the small ones took foreverrrrrrrrr to fill up......and you'd have to fill and empty it every day on a ship? I guess it would depend on the ship also.........I can't remember that much empty space on the Grandeur for one to even fit without being in a traffic area.......

I'm sure you and your family will still love cruising even if there are some limitations.....:)

Archived