Excursions: on your own vs ncl-sponsored

dishealth11

Excursions - ship sponsored, or wing it at port?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Excursions - ship sponsored, or wing it at port?

• NCL-sponsored only: I want it done right, and I don't want to miss the ship
    • Solo: I like my independence
    • I like both!

After reading the info on these posts I decided to give the independent booking a whirl at of all places Roatan. When I first studied Roatan I didn't think I would even be getting off the ship but after further research and seeing how beautiful the island was as we glided up to her, I knew I had to go exploring!

My family and a couple of close friends (less my oldest son and hubby who did go on a ship sponsored scuba dive...which turned out to be a big disappointment) decided to wing it at at the dock. We wound up getting a very educated man for our driver and for 10 bucks a head a brand new van for the day. We had a tour of the island, stopped off for pictures at scenic spots, he answered all our questions about the politics/crime/economics of the island etc. He took us on a tour of one side of the island and then we spent a few hours at a private beach (Half Moon Bay - we were the ONLY people there) it was gorgeous!! Rented snorkle equipment for $5.00. And then the driver took us on a different drive back to the ship so we could see the rest of the island. All for only $15 each plus we each tipped the driver! Oh, he also picked up his 14 year old nephew along the way and he stayed and watched over all our possessions while we snorkled, we also tipped him. (BTW the quaint little bar on the beach served up awesome steaks/lobster and the most delicious pina coladas I've ever tasted.)

The day in Raotan and the Cave Tubing in Belize set up through an independent group tour operator were the absolute high lights of our cruise.

My eyes have definitely been opened. I will research alternatives to ship tours. I prefer not to think of my self as a Nimrod, I prefer educated redneck. My courage to start booking independent tours (now that I'm getting this cruising thing figured out) comes from growing up a military brat and living all over the country including 4 years in Europe. We never lived on a base. Even overseas we lived out in the community and survived and thrived language barriers and all!

I do think that some people need to stay with the ship sponsored tours. I can spot them in a heartbeat. They are the ones who are always looking at their watches and gripping whenever something doesn't start on time or there's even the slightest deviation in a printed schedule or they are afraid they might miss a meal. Independence is not comfortable for some people who crave structure and set rules and there's nothing wrong with that.

That style of travel makes me feel confined and regimented but I respect others and to each his own. :)

Archived