St John Tour

Karencruiser43

we are planning to do one of these tours on our trip. last time we did the st. john snorkle tour (but didnt snorkle). but we want more time!

we would rather book through the ship!

my ? is what times do these excursions leave? and is there a good spot at cruz bay to get lunch? if we wanted to go to the beach and then eat or the other way around?

trunk bay became our favorite place in the world back in 2007 and we are so excited to return!!!

we are planning to do one of these tours on our trip. last time we did the st. john snorkle tour (but didnt snorkle). but we want more time!

we would rather book through the ship!

my ? is what times do these excursions leave? and is there a good spot at cruz bay to get lunch? if we wanted to go to the beach and then eat or the other way around?

trunk bay became our favorite place in the world back in 2007 and we are so excited to return!!!

I believe departure time was 10am There are a few restaurants at Mongoose which is just steps away from Cruz Bay dock. We ate at Sun Dog Cafe....it was very good an reasonable.

Definitely recommend going to lovely St. John, for some of the world's most beautiful beaches. Over 60% of St. John is national park, thanks to the Rockefeller family. I've been there a couple of times while on cruises, but actually fell in love with this island during a three week stay back in the late 70s.

Booking an excursion through the ship (particularly your first time to St. John), is a good idea. Plan to take the earliest that is offered, and depending on your arrival back to St. Thomas, you should have time to shop. We've gone to SJ early on our own and returned with enough time to go into Charlotte Amalie to browse. Enjoy!

Thanks, what beach would you recommend. My son wants to find a beach w/ beautiful clear/blue water (i know that color doesn't make sense) and pretty white sand? Any ideas?

Depending on the weather, I would suggest either Trunk Bay or Hawksnest. They are the first two beaches of many.:) If he likes

to snorkel, there is a nice snorkel trail at Trunk Bay. It does cost to get in tho. I believe it is part of the National Park Service and has bathrooms, etc. No matter where you go on STJ, the beaches are lovely:)

Keep in mind that weather has an effect on the "color" of the water and the beautiful blue is better seen from above.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I will be taking the shopping St.. John tour on 2/10/12. I will return to review this excursion on this thread. We have been to St. John many times, but this will be the first time on this type of tour.

I know you are still on your cruise, but I'm dying to know all about your shore excursion! Hope it was great!!!!

I know you are still on your cruise, but I'm dying to know all about your shore excursion! Hope it was great!!!!

Well, I am back now! We did indeed take the tour to St. John via RCL's destination St. John shopping tour. Our tickets said to meet on the dock outside the ship at 9:15 with a departure time of 9:30. We walked as a group to the ferry at the very end of the cruise ship pier ( the end towards town). The group included 3 tours sharing the same ferry. We probably got going from the dock at about 10:00.

There were already some passengers on board from the Marriott, on an all- inclusive tour. It was a fairly large boat with seating top-side, inside, and around the cabin of the ship. There were probably at least 70 people on board.

The ride to St. John was about 45 minutes. The captain narrated the entire way there about various sites and properties. It was a little bumpy at times, but perfectly pleasant. We arrived in Cruz Bay just shy of 11 am. We skipped the shopping tour and immediately boarded a taxi. We were on the beach at Trunk Bay by 11:10. The taxi was $6/ person each way. The entrance to Trunk Bay was $4.

The beach was stunning, as usual, and not too crowded. There were 3 cruise ships in on the day we were there. I rented a chair for $7 and refundable security deposit of $25. I spent 3 hours walking and sitting on the beach and snorkeling. I brought my own snorkel equipment, so I don't know how much it is to rent there. The snorkeling was very good, better than I had remembered it to be.

I had lunch at the snack bar. It was $13 for a hamburger, soda, and chips. It was ok, but not the best I have had.

We returned to Cruz Bay at about 2:30 as departure was at 3:15. We had only a few minutes to shop at Mongoose junction and returned to the ship by 3 to get a good seat. They served rum punch on the way back. It was pretty good. I only had one, but I saw one guy drink 4!

We dropped the Marriott people off, then returned to the dock. We walked back on to our ship at exactly 4:30, which was the all-aboard time.

I found it to be a very good way to get to St. John without the stress of making it back to the ship on time. We have made the trek on our own several times and found this to be far easier and pleasant. We had a great time and would it again!

Do you have to take a taxi to the stores or are the stores in the area where you get off the ferry. Also some people in my group do not wish to do this tour, we dock at the Crown Bay pier, what is there to do in this area? Is Mongoose Junction the shopping area, is there much shopping here? Some passengers are saying there is not much to see, I was thinking of doing a tour of the island, is it not worth it, and has anybody else experienced the 5:00 tip and is that on the ferry there and back? Therefore making the trip now $50:00 instead of the $40:00 throught the cruise line. Sorry for al the questions, but I am in charge of a large family group and I am recommending this excursion. Thanks for all your recommendations, it's a big help.

There are some nice shops right across the street from the dock in Cruz Bay at Mongoose Junction.

The captain asked repeatedly for us to tip the crew. I did, but found his forcefulness to be a little annoying.

The total to get to Trunk Bay for me was $40 to RCL, $12 for taxis, $4 for entrance fee, and $5 tip. Therefore, a total of $61. It was worth it IMHO.

I have docked at crown bay before. There are some shops in the area, but not as many as havensight.

Thanks, what beach would you recommend. My son wants to find a beach w/ beautiful clear/blue water (i know that color doesn't make sense) and pretty white sand? Any ideas?

The water is exactly what your son is looking for! The sand is white and very soft.

We rented a jeep at the dock, $90. went to St John on the ferry $30. total for 4 people and jeep. Drove to shopping, drinks, several stops to see gorgeous bays, swimming on a beach in the National Park. Back to ferry for 3:30 trip. Time for some shopping in St. Thomas. Park jeep, give back keys. Walk 2/3 mins. to ship. Wonderful day. I did set up the jeep rental from home, in advance. Make sure you know where to get the ferry.

Have an adventure.

Considering this option. Where did you rent the jeep? St Thomas or St John? Do you remember the company name or web address? We've been to St Thomas once before and would really like to see St John this time around. Don't want to be limited to a picticular kind or tour or waiting on the rest of the group. So we think just going on our own will be the best option.

Rented from Budget, in St. Thomas. Steps from ship. On the dock, literally. Very easy.

Only thing to plan is ferry trip from Red Hook. Make sure you know where to get it, and where and when to take it back to St. Thomas. Get a map, get directions or you could miss the ship departure. Really, it is easy, and fun to be on your own.

Archived