All things Oasis of the Seas!!!!!

Bogos22

Thank familygoboston! Would you happen to have the MDR menus for the Eastern itinerary? I want to start planning and get ready to book my shows/speciality restuarants when they come available on RCCL (which hopefully should be soon).

Just told my TA to book us on Oasis for June 23.

Johnee...not sure what cat you are booking, but there are quite a few C and A certificates for Oasis just posted...I was surprised how many for summer! Good for you!

Thank familygoboston! Would you happen to have the MDR menus for the Eastern itinerary? I want to start planning and get ready to book my shows/speciality restuarants when they come available on RCCL (which hopefully should be soon).

I didn't photograph the menus (actually DH is the photographer and he's not into food ;)) So I don't have them. They don't change much, so if you find a set they are probably the same. The only difference is that sometimes they switch the nights. The night they present a certain menu may change...so everything on that menu may be offered on day 4 instead of day 5. For our own cruise we knew we were eating in the MDR each night, except the first, so it didn't matter what they were serving which night! Some folks don't like to miss the formal night because the menus are a little better, but others don't want to dress up and make their reservations for other venues on formal nights. On our Eastern Cruise, the menu on Day 5 was most disappointing...I can't remember everything that was on it, but our waiter did not recommend it, and we all had the salmon from the alternative selections.

Johnee...not sure what cat you are booking, but there are quite a few C and A certificates for Oasis just posted...I was surprised how many for summer! Good for you!

Going with a Jr. Suite.

Thanx for the info.

I think you could spend a week on the Oasis and not even know you were at sea. When you see it docked in port next to other ships you really see just how massive it is.

This is just one of the things I am so looking forward too and the first time I don't want to be the only ship in port. I'm on the Western itinerary so we only have one stop with other ships in port which is Cozumel....does anybody know for sure if Carnival uses the same pier as Oasis does??

Am I missing something?? I only see certificates for Oasis beginning September 1st?

This is the process I used to plan my Oasis trip. I learned after sailing, that you could (especially if you don't enjoy to planning) come onboard without a single plan and still have the time of your life...but if you are a planner (and you might just be if you are reading an "Everything Oasis" thread!) you might like to know a method for sorting out all this great ship has to offer to make the most of your time, or to be sure you prioritize what is most important to you! So here is the step by step way I did my planning, this is just one woman's way...you may have your own or come across a better way!

Step 1 Read and research:

Read every review you can find, as well as the "live" threads that have been posted. Search for these under "Advanced Search" on CC. You will quickly recognize those that appeal to you and those that are written by folks who have little in common with you. Start cutting and pasting the best tips, ideas you find into document or print and put them in a folder. Especially pay attention the excursions, dining venues and shows that spark your interest.

Step 2 Collect all the helpful planning documents:

By the time you've read a bunch, you will have a good idea of what you might like to do. Go to RCL Website and download and print the latest "Showtimes at a Glance" (STAG) http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/showtimes/showtimes_OA.pdf and the included and extra charge dining venues, http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options and you can also search for the most recent MDR menus so you can decide which nights in the MDR you don't want to miss, and which you could skip for a specialty dining venue.

Next obtain the Cruise Compass for your itinerary (there are some recent ones posted on this thread in Post 18 Western and Post 22 Eastern) NOTE: for all these documents, its best to try to find one closest to the time and "type" of your cruise... some of the schedules will be different for holidays and peak vacation weeks, so the planning documents for these cruises will often be different than other times.

Step 3 Get your schedule started:

With these five documents ( Showtime's, Menus, list of dining venues, and Cruise Compass) start to create your schedule. You can use a spread sheet (I've attached a photo of mine as an example) or use a weekly calendar page, or just create a list by day. Using the "Showtimes at a Glance" (STAG) determine which shows and the times that appeal to you. If you have early or late dining, be sure to leave about 2 + hours to dine before a show, the STAG will tell you how long the show is so you will know how much time you need to see a show before dinner. If you have MTD, once those are in your schedule you can choose times to dine that work and jot those times on your schedule. After your regular meals and preferred shows are on the calendar, you can determine where to fit in your specialty dining (or you can do it the other way around if the dining is your top priority). You can also check the Cruise Compasses to see if there are activities that are "not to be missed" for you, such as a parade, or Quest, and be sure to jot those onto your schedule and make sure they don't conflict with your preferred dining and showtimes.

(an example of my Excel spreadsheet)

140779719.jpg

I am assuming here you are planning ahead, weeks or months before you can book your shows and meals. If you are within the window where the shows and meals are already available to book, you should probably use your "pre cruise planner" on line at RCL website, since some of your options may already be limited.

Step 4 Plan Excursions:

You can explore the "port" boards for the itinerary you are taking to research the excursions that sounded interesting to you from the reviews you've read. The website also lists all the excursions under "Ports of Call" Once you have an idea what you want to do in port, you can note these on your schedule. You may decide to book these independently or with RCL.

Step 5 Start booking!

When the schedule is more or less "filled out", you will be ready to book when the various items become available on your "Pre Cruise Planner" on the RCL website. When they become available varies wildly! It seems that the "Showtimes at a Glance" changes about quarterly, so for cruises at the end of that quarterly schedule you will probably see the shows available online to book as early as 100- 90 days. For those at the beginning of the quarterly schedule, they may not be available till closer to 60 days. Our cruise actually sailed before the "STAG" for our cruise was posted on the website...so don't wait for it to make your plan! Just use a recent one for the same itinerary. In general this is the order things seems to be available to book:

4- 6 + months before sailing : Spa, drink packages, gifts and possibly shore excursions and MTD reservations will be open

100-60 days before sailing: Shows and Specialty Dining venues

I wish that everything became available to book at the same time on the RCL website, but the reality is it shows up in bits and pieces over a period of weeks. I put a tickler in my online calendar to remind me to start looking around these dates; I'd check every few days and also followed my Roll Call so if anyone else saw them open and reported, I would know! This is why the schedule is so important! By having it all sketched out, as things are available to book, you can tick it off on your schedule and know you've got that piece settled. I booked everything I knew I wanted as soon as it was available. Even though that meant I made dining reservations before I could confirm my shows. I figured if I couldn't get the show I wanted, I could always change the dining time later, but the prime MTD reservations and Specialty dining times (think 7 to 8 PM) go quickly. Everything can be changed or cancelled with no charge (for items that have charges) until just before sailing (be sure to check each item you book to know exactly when you would have to cancel to receive a refund)

Step 6 Confirm it all close to sailing:

Check you schedule against the most recently posted Cruise Compass and STAG for your cruise to make sure that nothing major has changed. The only change we encountered was they moved the Quest night, so I had to change our Comedy Show. They were filled by that time and I changed it, as soon as we boarded at the Box Office in Studio B, no problem! Print a final copy of your schedule you made and the Pre Cruise Planner from the RCL website (this is your back up if for some reason your reservation doesn't show up once you are onboard.)

Step 7 Check your schedule, either on your own schedule or on your cabin tv every day while you are on the cruise:

I read so many reviews of people who said, "we missed that show even though we booked it, because we forgot which day it was!" My last piece of advice is that you don't have to do all or any of what you planned! Its your vacation, and planning ahead should make it more fun and relaxing...if that's not the case for you...bail on the schedule, get an umbrella drink and chill!

Can you email me your spreadsheet? leighann.worth@gmail.com

• 5 weeks later...

All I will say is this:

We went on our 1st RCCL cruise last Oct, on Oasis......prior to that we had only been on Carnival. Will we book another Carnival cruise????????

I don't think so!:)

Our next cruise is going to be Celebrity Reflection next Spring.

Hi! I know you have had wonderful things to say about the Oasis. I am looking for a spa price list-would you happen to have one you could post?

Thanks in advance! Can't wait for Saturday to come!

Tammy

Hey Tammy! Unfortunately, there was sooooooo much to do on her, that I never even made it to the spa. We could have easily spent another week on her and had just as much of a fun-filled week as the 1st one.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!! I am jealous........I'm not sure if reading CC is helping me or hurting me.......:D:).....since we don't cruise for another year!

Hey Tammy! Unfortunately, there was sooooooo much to do on her, that I never even made it to the spa. We could have easily spent another week on her and had just as much of a fun-filled week as the 1st one.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!! I am jealous........I'm not sure if reading CC is helping me or hurting me.......:D:).....since we don't cruise for another year!

Thanks anyway Jenn! Not my plan to use the spa either but our son needs his haircut and his was cancelled yesterday because we had a blizzard. Leaving this afternoon so no time for anything here so we'll see what the Oasis offers.

I know what you mean about not sure if reading everything is good or bad. Makes that in between cruise time ticked by slowly.....but at this point I could easily use another day-to get that hair cut you know!

Thanks again!

Tammy

I was just wondering if anyone knows the cost of bottled water & how big the bottles are. I'm just trying to decide whether or not the package is worth it or to bring my own on board.

Also, how much is a soda?

They have a few different water packages to choose from....depending on how many you want. I bought the package with 24 and it was a little costly, but I'm not one to hassle with trying to take water on board. Some people make it through, some don't. It's easier to just have it waiting on me in my room. They are the big liter bottles, not like the ones we buy in a case at the grocery store. I went through all 24 of them during the week (I drink a lot of water). It seems like it was around $70 for all of them. I did take a smaller bottle from home and just filled that as I needed to.

Have a great cruise!! You will love Oasis!!!

We were on the December 3, 2011 Eastern Itinerary, same as Familygoboston. It was a great experience and some of my family are now planning to try the Allure 3-day next year.

If you want a photo overview of our experience, including specialty restaurants, please check out my Flikr photo page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robynalman/sets/72157628367367775/

I was SO obsessed after I got back from the Oasis in January - I have quite a few cruises under my belt and that one was by far the BEST! This was the first time we ever booked the same exact trip for next year as soon as we got home simply because we ran out of time to see/do everything on our list! (I felt like a kid again riding the carousel!!)

Now I'm nervous because we're taking a vacation for the first time in 11 years with my entire family in June on Carnival (after our last one we swore off Carnival...:o) I know I can't even start to compare the two but it's going to be tough not talking about how much better the Oasis was all week!! But...this vacation in June will be more about our family time vs the actual ship/itinerary ;)

I was SO obsessed after I got back from the Oasis in January - I have quite a few cruises under my belt and that one was by far the BEST! This was the first time we ever booked the same exact trip for next year as soon as we got home simply because we ran out of time to see/do everything on our list! (I felt like a kid again riding the carousel!!)

Now I'm nervous because we're taking a vacation for the first time in 11 years with my entire family in June on Carnival (after our last one we swore off Carnival...:o) I know I can't even start to compare the two but it's going to be tough not talking about how much better the Oasis was all week!! But...this vacation in June will be more about our family time vs the actual ship/itinerary ;)

I think you will enjoy the Carnival cruise. We were on the Allure last year and LOVED it. We are booked for the OASIS next week, but in January did a family cruise on the Carnival Magic. We all had a great time. It is what you make of it. Find something to complain about and it will likely ruin the whole trip. Go with the flow, enjoy what they offer and the fun you will have with the family, and how can you go wrong.

I would go on almost any cruise. They all have something unique to offer.

Karen

We were on the December 3, 2011 Eastern Itinerary, same as Familygoboston. It was a great experience and some of my family are now planning to try the Allure 3-day next year.

If you want a photo overview of our experience, including specialty restaurants, please check out my Flikr photo page:

Shooraq - your pictures are amazing!!!! You are very talented. Thank you for sharing. Are you a photographer for a living? My husband wants to know what type of camera you used to take these beautiful photos? We are going on Oasis in 9 days and hope to capture some pictures as nice as yours. :)

Thanks for sharing. Love seeing more pictures of Oasis. Your pictures are so clear and captivating!

We have a long six months left to wait until we can see it in person.....

I think you will enjoy the Carnival cruise. We were on the Allure last year and LOVED it. We are booked for the OASIS next week, but in January did a family cruise on the Carnival Magic. We all had a great time. It is what you make of it. Find something to complain about and it will likely ruin the whole trip. Go with the flow, enjoy what they offer and the fun you will have with the family, and how can you go wrong.

I would go on almost any cruise. They all have something unique to offer.

Karen

I could not agree more!! Vacation really is what you make it - and I'm not one to complain - my family always jokes that I can have fun in a cardboard box! I'm so excited to get to spend the week with my family - regardless of where we are! :)

Archived