Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Yes, the Hotel Saraceno cam is frozen. I think this did happen as well with the much less good cam they had there before.

Also, is it just me or have they moved the accommodation platform a little away from CC? There is a clearer view through to the anchor block towers, or is it not?

Morning Mike,

Think you may be right, Pioneer looks to have moved across to the left a little & there is a better view of the towers. There is also a smallish vessel moored up between Pioneer & CC which I haven't seen happen before.

Unfortunately I'm finding that the Hotel Saraceno webcam is now frozen @ 8am THIS morning, I'll be majorly disappointed if this happens on Parbuckle Day!.... Could the "mystery tickler" give it a quick kick please?!

Hi Everyone

May I make a plea for anyone who is on the Isle of Giglio.

It would be great if you could keep us informed on what is happening on and around the port. I expect that there will be a great increase in the amount of Press and Media people around waiting for the parbuckle. Also anything else that may help us work out what is going on first hand.

I know there are many people who read this thread and don't contribute and that's fine you are always very welcome but perhaps there is someone on Giglio who can help us with information during the critical parbuckle stage.

Thank you very much.

In the last post I should have said not to worry if English isn't your first language. I am sure one of us will be able to translate for everyone.

I have noticed there appears to be a large banner on Pioneer that may have been there sometime but I haven't noticed it before. can anyone make out what it says please.

I have noticed there appears to be a large banner on Pioneer that may have been there sometime but I haven't noticed it before. can anyone make out what it says please.

Tried zooming in on the banner but can't read the lettering, it's definitely a recent edition, didn't notice it on yesterday's frozen picture.

Thanks for giving the camera a kick this morning!

Came across a YouTube video taken within the last week of CC & Pioneer. There is a smaller banner on the front of Pioneer, lower down & further to the right, with what I think is the same lettering & logo on it, saying 'DALBY', not sure who or what Dalby is?

Hoping the link works, I can never quite get them right!!

I have watched and followed this forum for months without commenting. Very interesting process and I've enjoyed the conversations as I am able. I am not sure that I have all the best web cams. Please post links to the best ones, including the Hotel Saraceno cam.

Thanks!!! Hope all goes well with this procedure!!!

Hi Texan

Glad your enjoying the thread.

The link I use is

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

The first and last webcams are the ones I use, not sure there are any others but I'm sure others will put me right (they usually have to).

Please feel free to put your comments on, we are a friendly bunch and they always put me right without the nastiness I have seen on other threads.

Just looking around on vessel finder and I see that ER Narvik is back in Piombino presumably picking up cargo for the grout bags, so the groutbagging isn't yet complete. Can anyone remember when this task was supposed to finish.

I also see that the towing vessel Aran is anchored of Porto Stephano. When this ship arrived the other day it was towing what looked a large sized platform. I guess that this is waiting for the call to pick up miscellaneous items and possibly the ROC.

Has anyone seen this weeks progress report please.

Don't remember it being posted already, but there is a press release on the parbuckling project website that states the project has been given the go-ahead to proceed this month, subject to final tests on all systems which conclude this week. Once test/certifications are complete and weather is favorable, a press conference will be held to notify the media of the likely day for parbuckling to begin

If I understand the Gantt chart correctly all enabling works will complete this Friday and I presume there will be lots of tensionings etc to do after that.

That means there is a heck of a lot of work to do between now and Friday to complete the grouting process, which is still going on, Clearing the site of all its platforms/pontoons.

From this weeks progress report I was surprised at the number of these pontoons named in the report that are on site a lot of which I hadn't heard of before.

It has been mentioned that there will be a full press conference once final approvals have been signed, one of the purposes of which will be to tell us when the parbuckle will take place and to give details of the exclusion zone which will be created around the area.

Sorry BE but I have no idea what Kitkat bags are, but I bet Amazon claim to sell them.

I notice that Narvik has returned this morning so still more grout bags to install.

If you look to the stern of Narvik there seems to be a view of CC as if a pontoon has been removed.

Green Salina has moved from her normal mooring round to the other side of M30. Isnt she responsible for pollution control.

So I noticed the 3D render photos of the recovery operation have changed on the Parbuckling Project website.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/multimedia_detail.php?eid=UEQCEwdeA2sEPA%3D%3D&cat=progetto&type=images

The project has been updated from the current status forward - they updated the configuration of the sponsons (and blister) to match what has been installed so far. Then parbuckling. Then the other port side sponsons, as well as what looks like half of the starboard sponsons - 2 forward, ~7/8 mid section, and 1 aft. Then a partial refloating occurs and CC is moved slightly out to sea. Then the remaining ~7/8 starboard sponsons are added. Then the remaining water is drained from the sponsons.

My guess is the change is to compensate for the ship resting on the 2 pinnacles of the sea bed in the areas where the starboard sponsons are added later. These renders may have been updated some time ago but I'm just now seeing them.

Of course... we need to have a successful parbuckling first :)

Giglio News explains how we got the Webcam Traghetto which has been offering us a pretty darn good view of Concordia:

As many readers have noticed, a new webcam by a few weeks is broadcasting from the island through our newspaper. Actually this is the webcam until a few months ago on the ferry, presenting technical problems, has been replaced and temporarily placed on the terrace of the Hotel Saraceno to allow our readers to attend the live rotation ("parbuckling" in technical jargon) of wreckage Costa Concordia.

The new ipcam Mobotix, with a perspective that allows you to enjoy a close-up, was purchased with the help of Lily Consortium and installed with the help of Britelcom technical and logistical support of theHotel Saraceno.

The Britelcom, the telephone company and the Isola del Giglio, collaborated for years with our newspaper and offers for free-we are pleased to stress-WDSL connectivity that allows the flawless operation of 4 of our 7 webcam.

Therefore the new webcam it goes alongside the Overview of Giglio Porto to allow users of GiglioNews to follow precisely the crucial phase of one of the most important maritime salvage projects internationally.

http://www.giglionews.it/2013091160020/news/isola-del-giglio/rotazione-concordia-una-webcam-in-diretta.html#addcomments

Edited by SomeBeach

If I understand the Gantt chart correctly all enabling works will complete this Friday and I presume there will be lots of tensionings etc to do after that.

That means there is a heck of a lot of work to do between now and Friday to complete the grouting process, which is still going on, Clearing the site of all its platforms/pontoons.

From this weeks progress report I was surprised at the number of these pontoons named in the report that are on site a lot of which I hadn't heard of before.

It has been mentioned that there will be a full press conference once final approvals have been signed, one of the purposes of which will be to tell us when the parbuckle will take place and to give details of the exclusion zone which will be created around the area.

GiglioNews reporting that the Parbuckle can commence from Monday 16th September onwards, depending on the weather, & that all the relevant teams involved in the salvage give the go-ahead for that point in time. The go-ahead would be given 14 hours before hand, ie on the 15th, all being well.

Pleased to say, they mention that it is not a show, as they are hopeful that they will be able to recover the two missing persons after the Parbuckle stage.

Link to follow, can never quite get it to work on Google translate, hopefully one of you can post the correct one if mine isn't quite there!!

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.giglionews.it/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgiglionews%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D818

Thanks CTH

So as I understand it, there is the Press Conference this afternoon in Rome to say that the final checklist will be signed off on Sunday. This will mean that the operation can start on Monday subject to weather conditions.

The long wait for the relatives of the two people still on board will hopefully soon be over. I wonder if the brother of the Indian person has gone back to take his brother home.

Edited by clive and anne

I have noticed that Narvik has made another quick trip to Piombino and is now back on site. She has been replaced on the same dock in Piombino by Green Salina. The first time I have seen that ship there ,perhaps its helping speed up the grouting.

I am experiencing blank screens a lot on the webcams. This happens quite frequently before the picture returns. Could this be because of the number of people watching, in which case, when the parbuckle starts it could become a real problem.

The day of the accident the Giglio News web site was understandably flooded and very difficult to reach and see the webcams. I remember seeing with difficulty passengers boarding ferries on the port webcam. The panoramic webcam was impossible to see that day. I found out about the site either by some link on Facebook or by googleing giglio webcam shortly after I learned of the accident. Hopefully they have planned for the upcoming event and will have plenty of capacity.