Balcony vs Inside on the Sun

cruisecap

We will be on the Sun in March of 2005 with a large group for spring break. This is a group of families from our school district.

I have reserved two cat II (191') one for my children and one for my DH and myself. I am really considering a balcony room for myself and DH but not sure it is worth the extra $500.00 since we will always be outside with the group we are going with.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This is all about personal preference. Some people insist on a balcony. Others argue that you don't spend much time in your cabin so it's not worth the extra expense. It all depends on what you want. It also depends on your budget. I'd love to have a balcony on every cruise, but not if it means having to wait longer between vacations.

Your Friendly Bartender

Since you're with such a large group, it sounds like you won't be spending too much time in your cabin anyway--may not be worth it.

After several balcony cabins, we recently had an oceanview and found we just tended not to hang around in the cabin that much. Just got dressed or changed and headed back out.

Your call.

NCL Norway: 10/89,10/93, 4/00, 4/01-- RCI Viking Serenade: 1/97 -- RCI Majesty O' Seas: 10/97 -- NCL Wind: 10/98, 10/99 -- NCL Sea:11/00 -- Celeb Summit: 11/01 -- Celeb Millennium: 3/02 -- NCL Sun: 11/02 -- Carnival Pride: 5/03 -- RCI Radiance O' Seas: 11/03 -- NCL Sky: 01/04

All aboard the NCL Sun, 11/06/04!!

You know, it really depends on your preference. We just got bck from maasdam (HAL) and had a balcony hat we hardly ever used. We are about to book NCL's Star and the conversation is between an inside or an obstructed view.

We've gone both ways and have always enjoyed ourselves regardless.

so, in short, for us, we'd save the $500. It it was less than $200 then we'd think twice.

Just OHO.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)

2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)

2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hobbsey:

"You know, it really depends on your preference."

Wiser words have never appeared on this board!!

"We've gone both ways and have always enjoyed ourselves regardless."

More information than I needed icon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

First off - I have to say - the Sun is a beautiful Ship - the room with balcony was one of the best I've had on any cruiseline.

And I'm spoiled - I never want to cruise without a balcony again.

Of course, the point about being with a crowd -who will want to hang around on deck as a group - you will be spending a lot of time outside anyway. I am guessing you won't get much use of your balcony on this trip.

Just another consideration: most of the standard balcony cabins are virtually identical to the inside cabins(from layout to decor to square footage), except for the balcony.

P.S. We find it a bit disconcerting to try to wake up when it is pitch black (no windows in that inside), so there is a bit of an "internal clock" adjustment that goes on. We bring a LOUD alarm clock, as the other cues that it is time to wake up are absent (sunlight, forcefully chirping birds, etc. icon_wink.gif)

Good luck in your choice icon_smile.gif

Archived