Getting sick in Cozumel

Lollygil

Just read a review on another board about someone being super careful about ordering items at a beach restuarant. It didnt even cross my mind before that. Cancun has purified water...what about Cozumel, outside main resorts. How about Nacchi and Mr Sancez. Anything to worrry about there? Should we limit ice in drinks?

nachi is great, usually i don't eat lettuce or such...when traveling. but had no problems at nachi. the general rule is to not eat anything that isn't fully cook, no raw veggies. but i broke that rule, at nachi, the food just looked so good (and was)

I think it depends on your particular stomach (some people easily get sick when traveling, others don't). We DO avoid lettuce and strawberries overseas as much as possible. When we lived in the tropics, they were the only 2 things we could pinpoint as problematic. They never gave us 'Montezuma's revenge,' just bugs we had to take medicine to get rid of... eewww, but true.

I've never heard that Cozumel is any worse food sickness-wise than anywhere else. If you're worried, stick to the fruit you peel, and cooked food.

We have never eaten off the ship. Been to mexico 8 times now and I haven't eaten there nor had a drink (other than bottled tequila).

Some people get sick. I think it has to do with each individual person. Many people routinely eat when they are in port and love the food.

I will eventually eat there. It just seems that I eat soooo much on the cruise ship when I am off food is the last thing on my mind and I'm not hungry. :)

Gas and other normal things aside, I don't think it has to do with the individual. I'm not one to get sick from eating like the stuff I mentioned above, but trust me, Montazuma will get the best of anyone!

I've been to Cozumel many times both by boat and by plane. I've eaten all over the island and have never gotten sick. That being said, I have been sick while staying on Cozumel. I like to rent Villas/Condos, the first time I did this I made a HUGE mistake. Every Condo/Villa I stay at has bottled water for you to drink, make ice with, cook with etc.. etc..

Well one night I got up around 2am to use the bathroom and I grabbed a cup from the cupboard and drank from the faucet. Needless to say, 16hrs later I was either on the toilet or praying to it. This went on for 3-4 days when I finally began to feel better. It ruined the last 1/2 of my trip, but luckily I went back and have never regretted it.

We have never eaten off the ship. Been to mexico 8 times now and I haven't eaten there nor had a drink (other than bottled tequila).

Some people get sick. I think it has to do with each individual person. Many people routinely eat when they are in port and love the food.

I will eventually eat there. It just seems that I eat soooo much on the cruise ship when I am off food is the last thing on my mind and I'm not hungry. :)

I too don't like to "eat off the ship." I realize that is part of the experience for many, but not for me. Knock on wood, we have never had anyone's revenge and that includes Egypt.

Nancy

Archived