Traveling with a 18 months old - any tips?

momtoSam

Last year I posted about traveling with a 7 months old on a cruise and got a lot of great information from this board. Needless to say, it was a wonderful experience and we all had a great time on a cruise. In about 3 weeks we are traveling again but with now almost 18 months old. Any suggestions? I am actually thinking that it will be a bit harder now then when he was 7 months old.

We cruised with our DS when he was just about to turn 18 months. What ship are you going on?

I think it will be more fun! We did a lot on our cruise. We did research on this site and picked excursions that would be fun for us as well as being child friendly. We packed books and coloring books and some toys but he really only used them on our one sea day. A cruise is the perfect opportunity to also let your child explore their palate! There is so much to choose from....let them try new things. Our DS loved the chilled soups at dinner. We ate in the MDR every night and the waitstaff really went out of their way to make him (and us) enjoy our dinner. I thought - we will give it a try and if we have to go to the windjammer we will but it was never an issue. They would bring out his food right away and because they knew he liked the chilled soups, by the third night it would be placed at his seat RIGHT when we sat down.

I would bring bibs, disposable placemats (for casual restaurant and at port), sippy cups, utensils, ziplock bags (all sizes - good for carrying clean/dirty clothes and clean/dirty tableware), packaged snacks that you can take ashore with you. Also, all the diaper stuff you need. And sunblock, a hat and a good lifevest.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived