Carnival's Barrier Reef Snorkel w/ Beach Break vs. Seargant Cay Snorkel Adventure

krdougan

I will be in Belize April 5 on the Carnival Glory and am trying to figure out what to do. I will be there with my wife and 2 daughters (12 and 14). They have told me they want to do a snorkeling trip. (We did the cave tubing thing last year.)

I typically don't do Carnival's excursions, but am strongly considering one of these trips. If anyone has been on one or both of these trips, please give me as much detail and opinions about the trip as possible.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

First let me say I love Carnival Cruise Lines. I am a platinum VIFP, and I am not a whiner! Still, I was very disappointed with this excursion. We booked with Carnival to avoid the lengthy tendering in Belize. When we left the waiting area to board our catamaran to the excursion we were informed that there were 138 booked. When I read catamaran on the description I expected a sail catamaran like other excursions I have booked. Instead we were herded onto the same type tender boat I was trying to avoid. We took a seat near the front and waited for the boat to fill. After all the seats were filled one of the crew members looked at me and said, "you are going to get wet sitting there," I know - we were going snorkeling so I shouldn't have minded getting wet! Thankfully a nice man traded with me because the front seats were pummeled with waves. It was very windy and the water was extremely choppy. Finally we arrived at the reef area. The crew were on kayaks keeping the huge group herded together. By the time I reached the ladder to enter the water, people were already climbing back onboard complaining about the heavy chop. I persevered and finally entered the water, and swam to the reef. There were so many so close together that it was impossible to avoid other snorkelers. We kept trying to find an area that was less crowded. The heavy surf made snorkeling very difficult, and we witnessed people coming into contact with the coral. Finally we gave up and went back onboard. The highlight of the day was that they served water and sodas and rum punch. Good after all the salt water in my snorkel. After everyone else returned we headed over to Bannister Island for an hour. It was crowded and hard to find empty chairs. We were not the only other excursion there. There was food and drinks available for sale, but we did not order. Anyway, the trip back to the ship was a bit calmer since we were now going in the direction of the waves. I am giving the excursion 2 stars because of the drinks served onboard and the nice people that we met. Still, 138 was way too many to safely negotiate the heavy chop on the reef. This excursion should be limited to fewer people.

Sounds to me like a typical Carnival excursion where they pack in as many passengers as possible to make as much $$ as possible.

I'd suggest that you look into private tour companies for your snorkeling tours like Coral Breeze or Island Marketing.

We are also Carnival VIP's & the ability to get off the ship on an early tender we feel is a real benny !

Bill in FL

we were informed that there were 138 booked. When I read catamaran on the description I expected a sail catamaran like other excursions I have booked. Instead we were herded onto the same type tender boat I was trying to avoid.

There were so many so close together that it was impossible to avoid other snorkelers.

I had the same experience on a Carnival snorkel excursion, different island, which leads me to believe they are all the same. I LOVE to snorkel but I'll never book another Carnival snorkel excursion!

There are plenty of excellent independent tour operators out there.

My last time in Belize I went to Goff's Caye with Island Marketing, had an excellent day!! Well worth the tender.

I did a private snorkel excursion also last April in Belize. We were first off the ship at the time the excursion was supposed to leave, but then had to wait 2 hours for the rest of the group to tender in. We were with Eco Tours so maybe other companies go ahead with who arrives at the TOD.

Archived