Packing for mid-June

Debb0223

This is our first time to Alaska out of Seattle. I have absolutely NO IDEA what to pack. Only jeans? Sweaters? Boots? Waterproof boots? Long sleeve/short sleeve? What about for the evenings on the ship? I'm making myself a little crazy even tho we have 4 months! Any advice is appreciated!

This is our first time to Alaska out of Seattle. I have absolutely NO IDEA what to pack. Only jeans? Sweaters? Boots? Waterproof boots? Long sleeve/short sleeve? What about for the evenings on the ship? I'm making myself a little crazy even tho we have 4 months! Any advice is appreciated!

I'll be doing my first cruise to Alaska in early June. I'll take two pairs of jeans, two sweaters, one pair of boots. Then the rest will be dockers, polos & comfy stuff.

Jeans, long sleeved shirts and sweaters are a good staple for days on the ship or in ports. My personal preference is generally jeans with a turtle neck topped with a fleece pullover. And of course it is good to take along some type of water resistant outerwear for days that might be wet and rainy. I take a comfortable pair of water resistant walking boots for our excursions because they are great for walking the towns, hikes and even for boat excursions. Onboard the ship when you are inside you can dress in fewer layers. I usually take a couple of pairs of black slacks, some pretty sandals or pumps and a few dressier blouses for dinners. And I pack a cocktail dress for formal nights.

Looking for a veteran to chime in as I'm on my first Alaskan cruise this summer also!

Well not sure if it qualifies me as a veteran. I think that title belongs to Budget Queen here. But we are heading on our fifth cruise to Alaska this summer so the wardrobe I outline in my post has worked well for me on our previous cruises. I can generally fit it all into one bag.

It has been 9 yrs since I last went to AK in June - doing it again this June. As far as packing goes it all depends on what kind of weather you are used to. On our first cruise (10yr ago) we met people from TX, FL, and NV that all thought 70 degrees was cold and 65 was freezing. For us, it was just like visiting the Oregon Coast where when it turns 70 we are in tee shirts - or shirtless. That said, I still believe in the layered approach that you can add to or subtract from based on your comfort level. For port days I usually wear jeans, a tee shirt, fleece/sweatshirt, water proof windbreaker /w/hood. I usually carry a backpack so I can store layers when I don't need them. Since my first cruise to AK, I purchased a pair of snow pants which I used for snow play days with the scouts. I found that they also make great rain pants too. Tour buses, trains, and some small boats have heated cabins so less clothing is needed, however when you get out on the water you must remember that it is probably around 35-40 degrees and therefore the air is also that cold. All of the ports are of course at sea level, but most of the mountains around them rise sharply several thousand feet and there is snow and glaciers there.

onboard ship for sea days I usually wear dockers and a nice shirt and shoes as I usually am inside my cabin or in the forward lounge.

To boil this down I usually pack 2 pair of jeans, 2 pair dockers, 3 nice shirts, 3 tee shirts (I add to this collection in every port:)) 1 pair nice shoes, 1 pair waterproof hiking boots, 1 fleece, 1 sweatshirt, snowpants, hooded windbreaker (I still have the one I bought 10 yrs ago:D)

I think a lot of people way over think and pack for Alaska.

This will be our third June cruise and the weather is generally pretty good. When packing, think spring with a chance of rain. It is important to note that you are not going to the arctic circle and that you can get by on sweaters/sweat shirts, pants, shorts and a light rain jacket. Dressing in a couple layers will do you fine.

On most days in port, you will find yourself in your shirt sleeves by mid day!

We have seen people walking around the decks in ski jackets and parkas, which I would never recommend.

Shoes can be way over done. If you are going hiking, take your regular boots with water proofing. If not, decent walking shoes will suffice. Don't take the heavy water proof boots, its just not that primative that you are slogging through mud and deep water.

We always take the emergency rain panchos which you can slip into a backpack or purse. We have never used them, but they are convenient to have just in case.

Happy Cruising:D:D

We are about to do our 3rd June cruise to Alaska and the one thing I've learned is to stop over packing. On our first cruise we were in short sleeve t-shirts but on our second, it was much colder. Just goes to show that you can never know exactly what the weather will be so go for the layered approach. Your coldest times will probably be sitting on deck, watching icebergs go by; however, when you are exploring the port cities you're likely to be much warmer. I always make a deal with my husband: I'll indulge and eat all kinds of good food with him on the cruise as long as he always takes the stairs and does daily laps around the track with me, haha! But walking that track up on the higher decks with the wind in your face can be very chilly! That's when I've needed my coat the most.

On the plus side, the jackets and coats in the port shops are surprisingly inexpensive; probably a lot less than what you would pay at home. And they make great souvenirs if you find you need to buy one. And unless you are planning some serious hiking I would nix any boots and just bring comfortable walking shoes or tennis shoes. Hope that helps :)

I agree with AmysonHenry....the layering thing is how to go. This will also be our 3rd trip to Alaska in the past 5 years. I pack my cuddle duds, long-sleeve shirts, and my fleece jacket, plus a rain-jacket, just in case. (didn't need it in 2007, but did in 2009.) I wore jeans most days, but had Khakis too. Then one cocktail dress for formal nights, black skirt, and several different tops to wear the other nights. I usually pick up short sleeve shirts as souviners. I also found a low cut NB hiking shoe on sale and got it for our treks on excursions...other times, I'll be in my tennis shoes. Our first trip, I overpacked, and I learned. 2nd trip, we used the self laundry on board, and didn't take as much.

Archived