viking/oltenita

ledris2

We are getting off a Viking River Cruise in Oltenita, Romania. We need to get from there into Bucharest to the BBU airport. Does anyone have any suggestions how to do this? I really don't want to pay the exorbanent fee that Viking wants unless absolutely necessary.

I read somewhere in my search that you can take a mini shuttle into Bucharest really cheap BUT to get to it you have to walk 1.5 miles from the ship! I can do that no problem Without my suitcase. Then we still have to get to the airport.

All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Lynda

Hi Jacksonnh

That is what I did. I posted both places and got help from Trip Advisor. But was also told there is NO public transportation from the shipport into Oltenita. This is not a good thing. I hope the ship will provide this. Am calling them to find out definitely.

Thanks

Lynda

Thanks Sheila. I called Viking and they provide free transportation into Bucharest, thank heaven. Then we have to spend another night to catch a flight to Venice.

Since we were in Bucharest for 3 days in May, we can take the bus or a taxi from Bucharest to BBU or even rent a car.

I am just glad that problem is taken care of.

Lynda

Hi Lynda,

So glad it worked out fine for you. Have a good cruise. We're doing Bucharest to Budapest with Tauck in August. My husband's family was from Romania, but we've never been there. Did you see the photos of the ice and snow in Constanta? Go to the weather channel and put in weather in Romania.

Sheila

Hi Shoshona,

I sure did. I saw it on the news also. We absolutely loved Romania. The driving is a little tricky as you are always dodging "horses and carts". If someone wants to pass you they pass in your lane and the other lane. But I found it no problem after about an hour of driving. Very easy country to Navigate.

If you go to Sibiu and I suggest you do, take the bus to Astra Village and spend most of the day there as it is sooo interesting and just a lovely place.

We also went to Peles Castle and took the additional tour of the 3rd fl. well worth it as it is beautiful. Dracula's castle was neat. Brasov is a lovely town.

We also went to the painted monasteries. Beautiful ride there from Sibiu but long. They are beautiful and old. Didn't get to the Merry Cemetery and was disappointed but just couldn't make it. Went to the salt mine outside of Cluj. We did so much. I knowyou said you had family there but if you need a place to stay in Sibiu or Cluj we stayed in a great b&B in each place and would recommend to anyone.

I should upload some of my pix from there. Esp. the ones where we pulled over to the side of the road and thru sign language asked some older farmers if we could take their pix. They said yes. WE were there for about and hour and just had such a fun time with them. We even got their addresses, had their pix developed and sent them to them.. Then we also got a tour of a winery in an old town. WE spoke to Romanian and he no English but we got along fine. He even siphoned the wine out of the cask for us to taste. It was very young yet so not so good. I t wouldn't be ready until this spring I believe but we had a great time.

Well I have rambled enough. Have a wonderful trip. Just got a room for one night in Budapest at the Hotel Papillon. Great reviews on Trip Advisor and in Rick Steves book in case you are looking.

Lynda

Archived