Jimandstan, a question

lilybug

You seem to have been everywhere, we are sailing from Buenos Aires in March. I would like to have a couple of bottles (well ok, 4) of Chianti for our cabin. I have bubble wrapped them and packed them and packed them in our suitcases. I would buy them before boarding the ship, any idea if I can get Chianti in BA? Thanks for your advice.

You seem to have been everywhere, we are sailing from Buenos Aires in March. I would like to have a couple of bottles (well ok, 4) of Chianti for our cabin. I have bubble wrapped them and packed them and packed them in our suitcases. I would buy them before boarding the ship, any idea if I can get Chianti in BA? Thanks for your advice.

As it happens, Chianti is even more popular in Argentina than it is in Italy or the United States! You'll find several varieties in any liquor store but the dominant brand is Sangiovese

WHTW37-chianti.png Unfortunately, liquor stores come and go with the wind in Buenos Aires, and I've never been able to develop a favorite.

My best advice would be to tell your taxi driver that you would like to go to the Cruise Terminal via Avenue Corrientes. You'll find liquor stores and anything else that you could possibly want there.

calle-corrientes.jpg .......as long as it isnt a Sunday morning.

As it happens, Chianti is even more popular in Argentina than it is in Italy or the United States! You'll find several varieties in any liquor store but the dominant brand is Sangiovese

When you're wine shopping in Buenos Aires, if you don't see any Chianti brands you recognize and like, ask for recommendations at the store. The word "Sangiovese" really won't help you much. Sangiovese is the name of the grape variety that is the primary ingredient in Chianti. As such, Sangiovese appears on every single label of Chianti.

Also be aware that prices may be sky high.

On our last cruise from Rio to BA I wanted a bottle of Jim Beam for the cabin and in a Rio supermarket it cost almost $60. Admittedly it was booze, not wine but still the price was high.

I would suggest researching and considering Argentine wines as I would assume they would be cheaper in Argentina. I am sure there would be one similar to Chianti as many of the wine makers in Argentina are from Italian origin.

Thank you! I like wine from Argentina, but Chianti is my passion. There is a local restaurant where I can get it by the glass and every time, they ask me 2 or 3 times if I know how much it is per glass ... I would rather pay more and enjoy it than pay a few dollars less. I already know it is pricey by the glass on the ship. Last time I would buy the bottle and they keep it for you. Hubby doesn't drink wine so I am on my own.

Archived