Scotchies

Lollygil

We just were at Scotchies with Peat Taylor Tours. It was very good, but probably not worth it if that's all your going to do. I would book a day with Peat who will take you just about anywhere you want to go and do Scotchies for lunch. His prices were very reasonable.

We went to Scotchies last week. There were 6 of us plus our driver and we ordered a little of everything for all to share. (whole chicken, half pound each of other meats plus large size of each side item) Had enough left over we sent it home with Willie our driver. Total cost was right at $60 for everything including drinks.

The flavor was great but quite honestly all the meat was dry IMO. Loved the chicken sausage, but it was so dry I couldn't eat much. My sister thought the Festival was good but I found it dry and lacking in flavor. Again, just my opinion.

4 of us ate and drank for about $30, had chicken, pork, fruit bread, festival, rice with peas and some Red Stripe. It was all very good, the pork was alittle spicy, but hey thats what jerk is all about. we loved the chicken and the festival.

What is Festival?

Our guide, Willie, said it was made with flour, corn meal and sugar. Formed into an oblong and fried. It's about the size of a hot dog bun, best way I can think to compare it. I forget what liquid he said was used in it. Supposed to be kinda sweet I think. Sorry, I just wasn't that impressed with it myself, wasn't bad, but I guess maybe I was expecting something else. Best I could say about it was the outside was fired to a nice golden brown and was crunchy, but not greasy.

For currency conversion, it's 86 Jamaican dollars to 1 American.

Oh, and if you want the Blue Mountain Coffee or Appleton's Rum, go to a supermarket in town. We got a big bottle of Appletons for $20 and my sister got 2 pounds of coffee, one ground & one beans, for $18 a pound.

Edited by Sinjan
more info added

Our guide, Willie, said it was made with flour, corn meal and sugar. Formed into an oblong and fried. It's about the size of a hot dog bun, best way I can think to compare it. I forget what liquid he said was used in it. Supposed to be kinda sweet I think. Sorry, I just wasn't that impressed with it myself, wasn't bad, but I guess maybe I was expecting something else. Best I could say about it was the outside was fired to a nice golden brown and was crunchy, but not greasy.

For currency conversion, it's 86 Jamaican dollars to 1 American.

Oh, and if you want the Blue Mountain Coffee or Appleton's Rum, go to a supermarket in town. We got a big bottle of Appletons for $20 and my sister got 2 pounds of coffee, one ground & one beans, for $18 a pound.

Thanks for the tip about the supermarket! Definitely want the rum and the coffee!!:p

• 2 years later...

Realize this thread is older but seemed to have the most feedback about Scotchies. For those who've been, is it mainly a tourist place? Someone on tripadvisor mentioned that you don't see locals eating there? Others also mentioned the meat is dry and wasn't marinated very long? :confused:

We are doing a full day with Courtney Taylor...wanted to stop here to check it out. Trying to decide on this or a beachfront lobster shack
Has anyone been to a beachfront lobster shack? That also sounds great :)

We ate at Scotchies in early March. We thought the food was very good. We had jerk chicken, jerk pork, and peas and rice. I thought the meat was very moist, and it had enough flavor for all of us. We had three adults and a small child, and the total price of our meals was $21; that included bottled water. When we got there, the parking lot was full. I believe many of the people eating were tourists, perhaps because many of the local private guides bring their clients there. We liked it and would not hesitate to eat there again.

Realize this thread is older but seemed to have the most feedback about Scotchies. For those who've been, is it mainly a tourist place? Someone on tripadvisor mentioned that you don't see locals eating there? Others also mentioned the meat is dry and wasn't marinated very long? :confused:

Has anyone been to a beachfront lobster shack? That also sounds great :)

Its not really a touristy place at all. A LOT of locals go there, infact its the most popular spot for jerked foods I'd say.

Great to know -- thanks. Also, I think a couple in my group don't like spicy food. Is the jerk sauce is on the side so they can skip that part?

Jerk by nature is spicy, its not too spicy tho, the sauce they have that you can choose to take tho is ....well its more like pepper lol, DO NOT USE lol, its REALLYYYY peppery, so dont even bother trying it if you dont like spicyness lol.

Maybe if you ask nicely they'll give you a piece to try before you buy to see if you like/dont like the flavour.