Port Canaveral as a Port Stop

vavasmom

We will be on the Enchantment of the Seas stopping in Port Canaveral as a port day on April 2 (Monday). I have a preliminary plan that I am trying to verify can work. There are three of us - 2 in our 40's and my 16 year old daughter.

I have a rental car reserved at Hertz. They provide port pick-up according to their website. We want to spend some time at Aquatica in Orlando. We already have Platinum Bush passes that include admission and parking so there is no extra admission cost for the park.

We are due in at 10am. It appears that the ship often arrives a little early and is often cleared by 10:30. I was thinking we should be in Orlando by 1pm (allowing for ship clearance, shuttle to the Hertz location, and 1 hour drive to Orlando). It appears to be an easy drive using SR528 - with a toll of $3.25 each way. We would stay until the park closes at 6 and then drive back to Port Canaveral. I know Hertz will be closed but they have an after hours drop off box. I was planning to take a cab back to the port, catching it at the hotel near Hertz (can this work? approx cost)

This ship departs at 10pm so I am expecting all aboard at 9 or 9:30.

I am planning to call the Aquatica capacity hotline before we leave the rental car lot. I know that the park some times fills to capacity early in the day - I don't want to drive to Orlando if the admission gates are closed. If Aquatica is at capacity or the weather is bad I need a plan "B". My DD and I enjoyed KSC in 2010 so we could go there again (it closes at 6pm) but I am looking for other ideas as well

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions,

Barbara

We will be on the Enchantment of the Seas stopping in Port Canaveral as a port day on April 2 (Monday). I have a preliminary plan that I am trying to verify can work. There are three of us - 2 in our 40's and my 16 year old daughter.

I have a rental car reserved at Hertz. They provide port pick-up according to their website. We want to spend some time at Aquatica in Orlando. We already have Platinum Bush passes that include admission and parking so there is no extra admission cost for the park.

We are due in at 10am. It appears that the ship often arrives a little early and is often cleared by 10:30. I was thinking we should be in Orlando by 1pm (allowing for ship clearance, shuttle to the Hertz location, and 1 hour drive to Orlando). It appears to be an easy drive using SR528 - with a toll of $3.25 each way. We would stay until the park closes at 6 and then drive back to Port Canaveral. I know Hertz will be closed but they have an after hours drop off box. I was planning to take a cab back to the port, catching it at the hotel near Hertz (can this work? approx cost)

This ship departs at 10pm so I am expecting all aboard at 9 or 9:30.

I am planning to call the Aquatica capacity hotline before we leave the rental car lot. I know that the park some times fills to capacity early in the day - I don't want to drive to Orlando if the admission gates are closed. If Aquatica is at capacity or the weather is bad I need a plan "B". My DD and I enjoyed KSC in 2010 so we could go there again (it closes at 6pm) but I am looking for other ideas as well

Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions,

Barbara

Hello. I have taken a couple of cruises from Port Canaveral, it is a easy port to get into and out of. I am guessing that this is your last stop before heading back to Baltimore requiring the ship to clear customs. If it is your first port call after leaving Baltimore with no other stops outside the country the ship should not have to clear customs allowing for quick disembarking. The Hertz location is maybe 6 minutes from the terminal in the parking lot of the Marriott Residence Inn. I'm not sure where the park is you are planning ongoing to but the drive to Orlando is about 50 minutes and it is an easy drive. The few times it can be difficult is if there is a traffic accident. It looks like the times you are figuring on should be no problem. On returning the car just pop into the Residence Inn and ask for a cab, fare should be about $8. KSC would still be a good back up as I have heard that with the end of the Space Shuttle program some of the attrctions at KSC may have changed. Good luck and have fun! :)

If you need a plan B you can always go to Disney Downtown...It's free.

Hop on I-4 west from 528 which is a toll road and follow the signs.

They are placing the shuttle in the Space Center but it may not be on view yet.

Thanks - it is our first port - so customs should not be an issue.

I was actually surprised last year we did not clear customs in Boston after two stops in Canada when I did a Northeast Cruise.

Well, enjoy your day in Florida and have a great cruise! :D

I live in Florida (Tampa area) and ALWAYS cruise from port canaveral. Real easy and close to me. I always leave a day or two early and just go to Cocoa Beach. I usually rent from A1A Beach Rentals, Everything you need for the beach and much cheaper than anything around. I prefer the east coast over the west coast of florida anytime. Only time I get to surf. They have a web page. http://www.a1afunrentals.com. You wont be dissappointed

• 4 weeks later...

Archived