What's the NCL Mastercard Certificate timing?

PDX2Cruiser

I got lucky and found a great price on the NCL Sun leaving May 15th. So I immediately grabbed it.

Meanwhile I started using the NCL Mastercard last year and have just reached 500 points. I'd like to request my cert and use it for this cruise. An MBNA rep told me it takes 13 - 18 days to get your certificate once you request it. Thus if I request it today I should be OK, but I'm concerned that instead it might not arrive until after May 15th, in which case I'm stuck with a cert that I can't use on this voyage and must use within 12 months.

How long does it really take to get your certificate once it's requested?

How long does it really take to get your certificate once it's requested?

We were told the same thing, but got ours within 1 week. The same for a friend of mine. They told us that they process the certificates on only one day of the week - can't remember if it was Tuesday or Wednesday. Also, if you are really concerned, they will expedite it for a fee - which I think was $35.00.

I would go ahead and try to get it. (Did you have to pay for the entire cruise up front, since it is so soon? If so, did NCL say that they would just credit your account - or your credit card account that you used to pay?)

Mary Lou

We were told the same thing, but got ours within 1 week. The same for a friend of mine. They told us that they process the certificates on only one day of the week - can't remember if it was Tuesday or Wednesday. Also, if you are really concerned, they will expedite it for a fee - which I think was $35.00.

I would go ahead and try to get it. (Did you have to pay for the entire cruise up front, since it is so soon? If so, did NCL say that they would just credit your account - or your credit card account that you used to pay?)

Mary Lou

I had to pay for the full cruise up front (with my NCL Mastercard of course). NCL would credit $500 back to my card when they get the cert via my TA, according to my TA (and others on this board).

About 3 weeks ago, we booked a cruise for 5/29. We had to pay in full up front. I called MBNA to request the certificates and had them within a week. I immediately sent them into NCL and the posted a credit for the certificates to my credit card.

I don't know if it can take much longer, but both times that I have requested certificates they have come relatively fast. When I requested them, the MBNA rep. told me that they track the progress of issuing the certificate. So, he said that I could call back and they would update me on the status. The day I was thinking of calling MBNA to check on them was the day they arrived in the mail.

When we redeemed last year it took a couple of weeks as I remember.

If you do get the certificate make sure that you send it to NCL insured and with a confirmation of delivery. Keep a photocopy of the front and back, just in case.

Worst case scenario is that you get the certificates and have to use them for the next cruise :D I think they are valid for a year so you could even wait until next spring and book for fall of 2006 or later.

Charlie

When we recently received our certificates there was a change to how long they are valid. In bolded type, it says that the sailing must occur within 1 year of the date on the certificates. So, for certificates requested today, the sailing would have to be completed by April 18th 2006 (or whatever the exact date is processed on the certificate). Previously, I believe you only had to make your booking by the expiration date.

I too photocopy the front and back of the certificates -- just in case.

Hey PDX2Cruiser,

are we neighbors? I'm over in Vancouver WA.

I ordered my certificates quite recently. I also wanted mine as soon as possible. The first MBNA rep that I spoke to didn't know the slightest thing about the certificates, but proceeded to tell me all about them (wrong info).

When I called back the next day, I got a rep who was quite knowledgeable. She told me that they are processed and all mailed out on Wednesdays. I received my coupons very quickly. Just over a week, as I missed the Wednesday deadline. Also, there IS expedited service available (contrary to what the first rep told me) for a $35 fee.

I booked 32 days before sailing. I told the NCL rsvp rep I was going to call MBNA for my cert. There's a PO Box to send the cert, however, she gave me a direct address to overnight to upon reciept of the cert. I had plenty of time, tho I can't recall when it arrived.....You may want to call back & get the address fro NCL.

Have fun, we sailed the Sun last year...

I called one month ago and received the certificates three weeks ago. I was very impressed this time! I do think that MBNA has become more efficient with the redemptions. A few years ago I needed them pronto so I spent the 35 dollars per 500 certificate to have them overnight. Yes, they must be used within one year.

Coka

Hey PDX2Cruiser,

are we neighbors? I'm over in Vancouver WA.

I ordered my certificates quite recently. I also wanted mine as soon as possible. The first MBNA rep that I spoke to didn't know the slightest thing about the certificates, but proceeded to tell me all about them (wrong info).

When I called back the next day, I got a rep who was quite knowledgeable. She told me that they are processed and all mailed out on Wednesdays. I received my coupons very quickly. Just over a week, as I missed the Wednesday deadline. Also, there IS expedited service available (contrary to what the first rep told me) for a $35 fee.

I'm in Cedar Mill so we're kinda neighbors.

That kind of stinks that the cruises must now be COMPLETED within one year of getting the certificate instead of just booking the cruise. I have $2,000 worth and was planning on redeeming them next month. Thanks for letting me know as I will now only redeem $1,000 this year and then the other $1,000 next year at this time.

Also, is it better to get 2 $500 certificates than 1 $1000 certificate? I travel as a single and if the cruise price exceeds $1,000, can I use 2 $500 certificates?

Finally, if the cruise costs $1,000 and the deposit is $250, do I get the $250 deposit back when I redeem $1,000 wort of certificates?

Paul

paul,

Finally, if the cruise costs $1,000 and the deposit is $250, do I get the $250 deposit back when I redeem $1,000 wort of certificates?

the certificates say that they can not be used toward the port taxes & fees. For us, this comes pretty close to the deposit amount. There is a thread asking this specific question here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=162525&highlight=mbna

I don't know the answer, as you can see in this thread, but I hope we can get some more info on this issue. I have read things in the past on this subject, but can not find them now.

When MBNA asked me if I wanted my certificates in denominations of $500 or $1000, I quickly considered my pros and cons. If you get the $500 coupons, you have the freedom to break them up over two or more cruises if you wish. I was considering the express mail option, which would have made it better to get the $1000 certificate, as they were $35 per certificate to mail and I would have saved $$ that way. You CAN use two $500 certificates on one booking...or even more, as I understand it.

zimmerjulie - thanks for the info and the link. Seems there is still some confusion out there about exactly what gets put back onto the cedit card after the certificates are sent to NCL. I will ask when I go to redeem them but I will also make sure that my cruise costs at least $500 or $1,000 after the port charges and taxes are taken out so that I can use the full value of my certificates...

Paul

I'm glad that everyone else is having such positive experiences with the MBNA certificates, because I've had nothing but problems. The first time I requested them, I waited a month and never received them. When I called MBNA back, they had no record of the original request. I did receive them within a couple of weeks after this second request.

I'm now trying to apply them to a July cruise. My TA advised that I send them to him, and they would forward to NCL. I also included an Entertainment Book $200 coupon which NCL said could also be applied along with the $1,000 in certificates. My TA confirmed receipt of the mailing and forwarded everything to NCL three weeks ago. For the past two weeks I've been trying to pay off the final balance, but NCL has yet to credit the certficates and denies ever receiving the coupon. Meanwhile I'm starting to panic as the TA's final payment deadline has already passed, and NCL's deadline is rapidly approaching. I've spent close to 6 hours on the phone (mostly on hold) as my TA tries to straighten things out with NCL.

My TA confirmed receipt of the mailing and forwarded everything to NCL three weeks ago. For the past two weeks I've been trying to pay off the final balance, but NCL has yet to credit the certficates and denies ever receiving the coupon. Meanwhile I'm starting to panic as the TA's final payment deadline has already passed, and NCL's deadline is rapidly approaching.

I am sorry to hear this! I haven't heard this yet with the MBNA certificates, but am familiar with these sorts of mix-ups with cruise lines with other certificate/coupon/discount/special offer/bon voyage order issues.

I hope this is resolved for you soon!!! SOOOOO frustrating!!!

I have sent them directly to NCL. I called NCL and asked whether it was preferred that I send them through my TA or could I send them directly. I was told that it didn't matter. So, my thinking was the same as yours... one less step to chance them getting lost.

• 4 weeks later...

Why do you even need this certificate? This is such bureaucracy.

I want to take a cruise in Novemeber on specific dates. I can book my air now through the airline for free because of my milea but I have to act fast. If I apply for this credit card now and rack up points between now and November, when should I book my cruise?

Should I take advantage of NCL website specials now and ask that I be credited in November for the points I have earned after booking the cruise?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that the MBNA bank issues the credit card and they issue a voucher for savings. Norwegian supplies the cruise. So Norwegian will accept their voucher (looks like a check) as all or a portion of the final payment.

The points earnings rate is pretty good 3% on all purchases / 4% on Norwegian.

Book your cruise early. Watch the pricing all along. Use your new card and get some $ off when you make your final payment (usually about 70-90 days before the trip).

Worth it? Yup.

Archived