Carnival vacation club

mid20scruiser

• 3 months later...

From John Heald's facebook 41 minutes ago:

"I was asked about Carnival Vacation Club recently and wanted to let you know the following:

ALL Carnival Vacation Club memberships officially expired this last March(2012). We are no longer extending benefits, such as VIP check in.

The Carnival Vacation Club program is over.

That from a beard. Thanks everyone."

We cruised on the Pride during March of 2007, and they were offering $50 OBC to attend the sales pitch. Our tablemates were members and a little miffed we didn't attend - evidently they would have received something as well. Within two weeks following the cruise we read here it was being discontinued.

I've spoken with some members that were able to use the benefits to their advantage.

I bought into the vacation club back in 2005 because I new I was going to go on future cruises and I wanted the VIP embarkation. I bought in at the middle level and felt like I got a pretty good deal. It paid for 4 cruises for the two of us with one being a Med cruise on the Freedom, that one was in a BL, the other 3 were IS cabins. Since I paid off the club so early, it was probably the only reason that we were able to do Europe, the cruise was long ago paid for and all we had to come up with was air and hotel.

So for $5000 I think it was a pretty good deal. The only thing I didn't use was the resort certificates, but that was my choice. I only had limited vacation and I was going on 2 cruises a year.

By the time I used all the points, I was Platinum and there were starting to be rumors about the Club being discontinued. So I just let the membership expire.

I bought into the vacation club back in 2005 because I new I was going to go on future cruises and I wanted the VIP embarkation. I bought in at the middle level and felt like I got a pretty good deal. It paid for 4 cruises for the two of us with one being a Med cruise on the Freedom, that one was in a BL, the other 3 were IS cabins. Since I paid off the club so early, it was probably the only reason that we were able to do Europe, the cruise was long ago paid for and all we had to come up with was air and hotel.

So for $5000 I think it was a pretty good deal. The only thing I didn't use was the resort certificates, but that was my choice. I only had limited vacation and I was going on 2 cruises a year.

By the time I used all the points, I was Platinum and there were starting to be rumors about the Club being discontinued. So I just let the membership expire.

Good for you but would bet you were in a small minority that got their moneys worth.

Good for you but would bet you were in a small minority that got their moneys worth.

I think you may be right. I bought in very early in the clubs existence and had all my points used by 2008. It wasn't even a hard sell tactic. Back then it was much like just walking up to the future cruise desk, no sales pitch, captive audiences or anything.

I think you may be right. I bought in very early in the clubs existence and had all my points used by 2008. It wasn't even a hard sell tactic. Back then it was much like just walking up to the future cruise desk, no sales pitch, captive audiences or anything.

We heard the pitch one on one no pressure, but there were too many questions they could not answer so we walked.

Guess most people did the same or the program would not have been cancelled.

As with most things, I don't think it was as hard a sell early one.

Our first exposure was on the Spirit (Alaska) July 2005.

However, the longer it went...the worse they got with their "exxaggerations".

A totally random survey here years ago, on Cruise Critic (just of those who bought it) ran about 75% negative. Not a good thing...

I was a Disney Vacation Club member in the 90s--sold my interest back to my brother a few years ago. It was fun but really not worth it IMHO--personally I think Carnival made the right choice to abandon the concept.

Archived