another seasickness question

nellie

I am going on the Granduer out of Baltimore and hear the seas are usually quite rough for a day or 2. I am torn between getting the bracelet or the patch. I've heard the patch works well but can you drink alcohol with it?

I've used the non drowsey Dramamine. It worked like a charm. I was able to drink without any affects. I get motion sickness all the time , in a car , bus , boat it doesn't matter, but with the Dramamine no problems.

I used the sea bands and bonine on my cruise and thought both worked very well. I have heard that a lot of people experience blurred vision while using the patch....something you may want to keep in mind?

My sister uses the patch, and has for about 5-6 cruises and she has never had any side affects and she does drink along with it. I also remember friends of ours on cruises in the 80's that also used the patch and yes, they did drink and no side affects that they ever mentioned. Since you have to get the presicription for the patch from your doctor, please discuss it with him/her, as everyone is different and your doctor would know you best.

Happy cruising

In earlier posts on this subject, people suggested trying your choice of motion sickness control at home before the cruise. That way you can find out in advance if you will be hit by any side effects. Bonine wiped out my wife and she elected to sleep in the cabin through most of Curacao. She blames the drug, as she was fine after she stopped taking it. I'd hold off on taking the drug until you think that you need it.

Have you been on a cruise before? Do you know that you get sea sick? Not everybody does.

I've tried regular dramamine, less-drowsy dramamine, Sea Bands and the Relief Band. I usually just wear the Relief Band all the time and if the seas get really rough I take a less drowsy formula dramamine too. The Sea Bands - the elastic bracelet with the button on the pressure point - didn't work for me at all. Regular Dramamine knocked me out. The Relief Band is great! The little "shock" it gives bothers some folks but I haven't found it to be a problem and it sure beats being seasick.

I get motion sickness from the fact that earth moves.....so I need to be prepared on a cruise. I always used the patch in the past. In November we were on the Empress (Royal Suite/Forward). I decided to go "patchless" and I was fine until the last day. It is my own fault--as we were warned that rough weather was ahead. I was full of Bravado and decided to order room service and ride it out. Within an hour or two I felt ill and took some Bonine (don't wait until you are sick to take it--it comes back up real easy!!). Husband found me on bathroom floor and I was very sick. Keep in mind this was a rough ride--we hit 20-25 foot swells and had major wind issues on a smaller vessel--in the very front of the ship.In the end--I got to meet the doctor and have the bills and pictures to prove it!!! The storm lasted 14 hours--so it was not pretty. Many people were ill.

I went on another cruise in March and put the patch on after dinner first night.

Going again this Friday and have my patches packed.

Linda/Ohio

I also suffer from extreme motion sickness. Last time I wore the patch and did not like the side effects. I could not read at all - and just felt loopy.

I was on Grandeur last week. This time I wore the sea bands on my wrists all the time (except for formal nights) and took Bonine every morning without fail. I was completely fine and did not have the nasty side effects from the patch.

Read on this board ages ago that the patch is formulated for a "average" to "large" sized male and that if you do not meet that criteria then cut the patch in half. This has cut out the side effects for many smaller people and still provided the relief from motion sickness. (and your supply will last twice as long). Good Luck ;)

I am a petite female, size 6P. I used the patch on a short north Atlantic day trip. I had no side effects whatsoever....Until I had one alcoholic drink. Wow!

I limit my alcohol intake b/c it hits me much sooner than others--I've always assumed it's a factor of my size. I've never gotten so smashed on a single drink in my life ... and I was drinking on a full stomach.

I guess each individual reacts to the patch differently so you'll have to try it to know how you react.

Re Sea Bands: I tried these one morning. I have really small wrists, and I don't know how larger people stand them. After about 3 hrs I took them off b/c they were so uncomfortable. The buttons had dug deep pits into my wrists. Did they work? I don't know b/c I didn't feel seasick after I took them off. Perhaps they work by providing so much discomfort that you're concentrating on the pain in your wrists instead of the turmoil in your tummy.

M/R

And do not touch the patch and then touch your eyes or anywhere around your eyes. It will affect your vision for a couple of days. The patches do work for many people, but they are strong prescription medication. Check with your doctor.

We like meclazine (generic for Bonine). One at night starting the night before the cruise. Any minor drowsiness is covered by the fact that we're going to bed anyway. No daytime drowiness (unless you count being lulled into naps while relaxing on padded loungers in the Solarium).

beachchick

I get pretty sea sick, but I have never cruised. I bought Dramimine Less Drowsy. I can take 1 every 24 hours to prevent sickness, but does anyone have ideas for sickness after taking that? What can I do in additon?

Chrissy Majesty April 25, 2005

You could also take ginger capsules or lozenges. They would not interfere with each other. You could also wear the Sea Bands. I would not recommend taking more than the stated dosage of meclazine (Dramamine Less Drowsy is meclazine) or mixing it with standard Dramamine--you could end up quite sick in other ways.

beachchick

Hi:

I left out of Baltimore last year and had no problem with the seas. To be on the safe side... I always take Ginger and never had a problem with it. I start taking it three days prior to the cruise. I have my wine or beer and never had a reaction to it. I never tried any other motion sickness medicine so I can't comment on it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and have a great cruise!

I hear so much about Ginger preventing or helping with sea sickness. What form of this is best? Can it be as simple as bringing Ginger cookies? Those are pretty tasty! ;-)

MTS

Archived