Voyager excursions vs. private..Rome to Athens Sept.17-24, 2005

k2cruiser

This will be our first cruise on RSSC...Are the ship excursions well worth it, or has anyone taken a private tour for , Sorrento, Naxos(Sicily),Rhodes, Kusadasi, or Santorini? Your thoughts, anyone? I have used the Cruise Critic board for the past two years, and have not been disappointed by any of our members. So come on, PLEASE help me!

• 1 month later...

We are also on this cruise and first time cruisers. My impression is that Naxos/Taormina would be easy to do on one's own without any preparation. Would like to hear from members who have experience with RSSC excursions in the above named ports or who have done it private. Also, should I expect RSSC to post the prices of shore excursions before the first day they are available for online prebooking? It doesn't seem that would give one much time to consider - especially for those tours which are extrememly linited as to number.

For Rhodes, I got a private guide because I wanted to go out to Lindos. If you are only staying in town, you can do it on your own. I normally just like to go at my own pace and not wait for people to get back on a bus if the tour is going to last more than 4 hours. I also don't like the length of the lunch when on an all day tour, too long. But it was expensive, and now even more so.

Sorrento, we got a private guide to pick us up at the tender pier, and we went to the Amalfi coast, all the way out to Ravello. Tour busses cannot get into the town of Positano, they have to park out side and you climb down the hill to get to the town. Traffic can be very busy in the summer on that road. We were there in September, and it was still bad. Driver was sweating bullets on the way back to the tender. We got the last tender to the ship at about 4:30. Not sure what time the ship leaves, I think some itineraries have later departures.

The website will post prices 60 days before the cruise, more than enough time to consider what you are going to book. You can not book at all and just do it on the ship and you probably won't get closed out of anything, at least I haven't on any ship but the PG, and even then the waiting list cleared for one or two things I wanted.

Naxos IS doable on your own. Ship provides a shuttle up to the town, and you can do the Roman theater on your own. If you want to go to Etna, I would suggest ship's tour. This is a great port for shopping for ceramics, etc. to bring home as gifts. But I think the shops may close at certain hours for lunch, but maybe not when ships are in port. I just can't remember.

Kusadasi, I did the ship's tour to Ephesus, as I felt we needed a licensed guide for this historic place. After the excursion, I did a quick trip to the market, very close to the ship for some great shopping. Lots of leather, rugs and jewelry.

Santorini, I had already visited by land several years ago, so we just had a wonderful alfresco lunch overlooking the water, and then took a cab to Oia, a don't miss place for strolling, it is like Fira was many years ago, and not as commercial. This is where you will see the blue-domed whitewashed churches and buildings that are picture postcard perfect! Also, the ruins at the other end of the island at Akrotiri (sp?) are the other must-see if you are there for the first time.

We also used a private tour guide when we docked in Naples to visit

Sorrento, Positano, and Amalfi. As the previous post mentions, with

a car you can see smaller places on the coast and you also have the

advantage of seeing more places at your own pace.

We also took the ship's tour in Kusadasi for the same reasons as the

above person mentioned and then did some shopping in the port when

we returned.

We haven't been to some of the other ports you mentioned so, sorry

I can't help there.

Sondi

We will be on this sailing as well. I would love to hear where you are from and who is also going on this ship.

We are two adults....40-50, no children ( yeah). This will be our first experience on this type of a luxury cruise. We have done many of the large RCCL ships with children and have had a wonderful time. Ready for a different experience though.

We are thinking about the private tours as well/ We do have a guide for Rome.

More ideass would be helpful! ;)

Why don't you share private car with another couple? In our May trip, we were with another couple. It's more comfortable and we could choose where we wanted to go. We got to go to great restaurants that tour buses can't go for lunch. For an all day excursions the cost per person came out about the same or little cheaper per person. I would be careful when the time is tight, though. Ship will wait if the tour bus is delayed, but they won't if you are on your own.

David and k2cruiser, perhaps if you would allow private e-mails in your profile, I could tell you about where to find some local guides. Not allowed to post them here.

Archived