Evening Dress Codes

Cruise Arizona

I did a search of the MSC site and a couple searches here but could not find the specific answer. I know this has probably been asked already many times over, but here is goes:

Elegant Casual seems to be the predominant dress code with a few formal nights depending on the length of the cruise.

Is there any upgraded dress code for the A'La Carte restaurant?

Is the evening dress code through out the ship or just in the dining areas?

What are the casual dining options? If you do casual dining do you need to return to your room on formal nights and not remain in public areas?

If you enjoy dressing up on formal nights you won't be out of place. Having said that, MSC doesn't seem to enforce a dress code so you won't be refused in the MDR for not dressing formally. I was on an 11 night cruise and didn't realise there were 3 formal/gala evenings so was dressed more casually on the 3rd formal night but it became very apparent to me when I went down for dinner as so many of the passengers were in their formal attire. I was so annoyed for not having noticed it on the daily planner as I love to dress up for the occasion. In fact, I'm sailing on Splendida next week and DH has bought himself a tux and blazer for evening dining :rolleyes:

I wouldn't bother the attitude on Splendida a couple of weeks ago although a suggested dress code was applied lots of people not only totally ignored it but effectively stuck two fingers up to MSC it was common even on Gala evenings for people to be going into dinner in jeans and T shirt with trainers, wearing a tux with bow tie although all others on our table did the same I felt distinctly overdressed

We cruised the Carib. during Thanksgiving this year on the POESIA. Everyone at our table was nicely dressed. Two men in tux, my hus. had a suit on. Nothing really formal for the ladies, but all looked lovely. I did not see any jeans, but I may have not been looking.

Hi cruise arizona - wish I was getting ready for another cruise! We've just been on Splendid in the Med. The ship is an Italian ship and the passengers Italian, spanish and German. Their version of FORMAL is very different from american and English. Most of the people we saw in our dining room were always smart but not everyone responded to the SUGGESTED dress code on the front of the daily newsletter. Maitre D is very relaxed about the dress code. English speaking passengers are usually seated together in the Dining room and most I saw were suited and booted and tuxes would not have been out of place but we only saw a few. Our experience was that a la carte restaurants were even MORE relaxed about dress codes. My advice? do your own thing and dress how you want - you can be sure the Europeans will!:)

We will be doing a 4 night cruise on the Poisea to the bahamas. would anyone care to comment on the dress for 3 nights?? will there be a possible formal night for such a short cruise? Im American, and dont want to under or over dress. HELP!!

Archived