infirmary question

ajenali

I hear the fees are relatively high....

Should something happen onboard, broken bones or something that would require more than a "quick trip" to the infirmary, what would happen if you were unable to pay their fees? Do they bill you, or will you have to make arrangements with family or someone to pay before they let you off the ship?

Traveling with single parents who are vacationing on a budget.

It's just a what if/hypothetical question. Please do not advise that they need to be financially prepared or shouldn't go if they cannot afford "what if's".

Just curious. thanks!

I hear the fees are relatively high....

Should something happen onboard, broken bones or something that would require more than a "quick trip" to the infirmary, what would happen if you were unable to pay their fees? Do they bill you, or will you have to make arrangements with family or someone to pay before they let you off the ship?

Traveling with single parents who are vacationing on a budget.

It's just a what if/hypothetical question. Please do not advise that they need to be financially prepared or shouldn't go if they cannot afford "what if's".

Just curious. thanks!

Well, the infirmary, medication, etc fees are billed directly to your sign and sail card. I didn't think they were terrible...I was expecting worse from what I have heard.

I am not sure what happens if you can't pay your sign and sail bill at the end...maybe someone else can answer that. They aren't going to keep you on the ship but possibly involve the police at the departure port...?

Well, the infirmary, medication, etc fees are billed directly to your sign and sail card. I didn't think they were terrible...I was expecting worse from what I have heard.

I am not sure what happens if you can't pay your sign and sail bill at the end...maybe someone else can answer that. They aren't going to keep you on the ship but possibly involve the police at the departure port...?

They will probably have you sign something similar to loan papers.

I actually found the opposite to be true. I felt the fees were very reasonable. We took my oldest to the infirmary for a very high fever, etc. We were slightly after hours, but they waived that fee because he was a child and the severity of his fever. That was very nice of them. They were very nice, did a thorough exam and sent him back to our room with antibiotics and fever meds in hand. I used to work in an urgent care and I've seen FAR worse price gouging. I felt it was a fair price. They gave us the necessary paperwork to bill our insurance when we got back.

Used ship medical several times and the costs seem to be comparable to those here at home at a clinic.

Turned into our insurance company and was reimbursed. Not reimbursed such a deductibles were paid by our cruise insurance. Bottom line we have paid nothing for these events. Some were in the $500$600 range for such things as re hydrating (couple of bags), x-ray etc.

I dont see any reason to get the police involved????

On the last night of our trip, my brother suffered a diabetic seizure and as they had locked up the bar we had no way to get any sugar in him (like a coke). (We could not open his mouth , due to the seizure to put in sugar tablets). The nurse came up and gave him a quick acting shot of sugar and he came out of the seizure. The cost was $246 which had to be paid right then. I thought the cost excessive but I would have paid anything at that point. They do give you paperwork that you could turn into your insurance to try to get reimbursement, but don't count on it.

On the last night of our trip, my brother suffered a diabetic seizure and as they had locked up the bar we had no way to get any sugar in him (like a coke). (We could not open his mouth , due to the seizure to put in sugar tablets). The nurse came up and gave him a quick acting shot of sugar and he came out of the seizure. The cost was $246 which had to be paid right then. I thought the cost excessive but I would have paid anything at that point. They do give you paperwork that you could turn into your insurance to try to get reimbursement, but don't count on it.

Why not count on it. That is what travel insurance is for, to get reimbursed.

Unfortunately, we've had to utilize the ship's infirmaries. The fees were very reasonable (much less than even standard urgent care facilities here at home).

We have travel insurance so, we just submitted the paperwork (it was billed to our Sign & Sail Card onboard - so it went onto our credit card) and were reimbursed within a few weeks.

The travel insurance took a lot of worry off how to pay for the much-needed care.

The same type of call via your local 911 service would cost close to 1k dollars. I would think $246 is cheap. If he started an IV and gave 50% dextrose and then ensured his blood sugar was at proper level that charge is good. If they gave him an injection of Glucagon then it was really really cheap Glucagon cost us $100 just for the medication, that does not include the supplies and skill used in giving it.

Wow I would think that would be a fair price. My brother was a diabetic and anytime he had a diabetic seizure and an ambulance had to be called or he had to be rushed to the hospital or his doctor the cost was much more than $246.00.

We have used the ships infirmary, husband is a nurse and even though we brought all meds we thought we would need to have with us, both the husband got sick-upper resp infec. and youngest son got Pink eye we had to go see the ships doctor. The fee was about average for an ER here in NY-(if you dont'have insurance). We sent the paid bill to our insurance company and we were reimbursed. We got the entire 225.00 back.

By the way, my husband said he was very impressed with the completeness and cleanliness of the Infirmary.

Wow I would think that would be a fair price. My brother was a diabetic and anytime he had a diabetic seizure and an ambulance had to be called or he had to be rushed to the hospital or his doctor the cost was much more than $246.00.

Correct, it is a full Advanced Life Support call with in the range of $800 base rate plus mileage, which pushes up close the $1k range.

On my first cruise, my wife got a stomach bug (I don't think it was noro), and went to the infirmary while I was taking a nap. They had her on IV fluids and IV antibiotics for a couple of hours (I knew she had gone, but was a little freaked out when I awoke an hour later and she wasn't back). They had her do both again in the morning and afternoon the following day. They also did bloodwork each time she was there to check her white blood cell count. The charges from the infirmary were more than the cost of our cruise. I believe it was a total of $1500 or so. It was charged to our ship account, and to our credit card as part of the ship account pay off at the end of the cruise.

Our doctor had home (who she followed up with) said that she thought the treatment seemed very aggressive. She saw the results of the bloodwork and while she agreed that my wife was definitely sick, she didn't think it was as serious as the doctor on board made it out to be. In the end, we filed for reimbursement with our standard health insurance and they reimbursed us for almost the entire cost. I believe they covered it the same as they would have an out-of-area ER visit. We had a deductible, but I think it was only $100 or $200.

Why would it in love the police? It's not a criminal matter.

On my first cruise, my wife got a stomach bug (I don't think it was noro), and went to the infirmary while I was taking a nap. They had her on IV fluids and IV antibiotics for a couple of hours (I knew she had gone, but was a little freaked out when I awoke an hour later and she wasn't back). They had her do both again in the morning and afternoon the following day. They also did bloodwork each time she was there to check her white blood cell count. The charges from the infirmary were more than the cost of our cruise. I believe it was a total of $1500 or so. It was charged to our ship account, and to our credit card as part of the ship account pay off at the end of the cruise.

Our doctor had home (who she followed up with) said that she thought the treatment seemed very aggressive. She saw the results of the bloodwork and while she agreed that my wife was definitely sick, she didn't think it was as serious as the doctor on board made it out to be. In the end, we filed for reimbursement with our standard health insurance and they reimbursed us for almost the entire cost. I believe they covered it the same as they would have an out-of-area ER visit. We had a deductible, but I think it was only $100 or $200.

Better too thorough than not thorough enough...especially in this litigious society. :)

About 5 years ago, we were sailing to the Mexican Riviera and we did an ATV excursion in Puerto Vallarta. From being at the back of the pack and all the dust that was kicked up, I got something in my eye. I went to the infirmary and saw the ships doctor himself - not a PA or a nurse. He did a VERY thorough examination and said I had a scratch on the eye surface. He gave me two types of eye drops, one to lubricate the eye and and antibiotic. Total cost for the visit and the drops - $60. It was put on my sail and sign and I filed with my insurance company when I got back. They reimbursed the entire cost. I was very impressed with the whole experience. It was actually cheaper than if I'd have seen my primary care doctor on land.

DH had a severe allergic reaction on-board a RCI cruise ship and we were unable to pay the bill; $5000.00 :eek:

The infirmary sent me to the pursers desk with paperwork and we had to sign an agreement that we'd pay the bill within 30 days. It worked out fine as we made a claim with our health insurance company once we got back home and paid RCI as soon as the claim went through.

If ya can't pay...ya can't pay! It's as simple as that but they are not going to argue with you on the ship. They will tell you to take it up with their corporate headquarters. These situations happen all the time.

I had to go to the infirmary while on the Conquest and I thought it was right on par if not cheaper than the quick care in my town...if you didn't have insurance. I had travel insurance, so when I got home I filed for the insurance and they paid the full bill. I thought they were great and so thankful they were there as they saved my cruise by being able to get me on antibiotics right then.

It's the same problem on land. It's called defensive medicine... overtreating and overtesting to avoid potential malpractice claims. Of course, it drives up the cost of health care dramatically. Same thing for doctors who give out antibiotics to patients with viral infections. The medicine will do nothing to make them well, but it makes the patient happy.

I don't doubt they were being extra vigilant and extra careful to make sure she recovered and we weren't upset about her outcome. Of course, we had no independent medical knowledge, so we were really at their mercy. I will say the staff seemed friendly and knowledgeable.

DH had a severe allergic reaction on-board a RCI cruise ship and we were unable to pay the bill; $5000.00 :eek:

The infirmary sent me to the pursers desk with paperwork and we had to sign an agreement that we'd pay the bill within 30 days. It worked out fine as we made a claim with our health insurance company once we got back home and paid RCI as soon as the claim went through.

If ya can't pay...ya can't pay! It's as simple as that but they are not going to argue with you on the ship. They will tell you to take it up with their corporate headquarters. These situations happen all the time.

At least they got paid. The reimbursement rate for 911 service across America is around 23 percent, so close to 80 percent of people do not pay their bills for 911 service.

This is the answer i was looking for. Thank you!

Archived